2ManySpams

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

In recent days RMWeb has had threads querying the validity of depot-themed layouts, and regretting a perceived-preponderance of modern-era (taken to be post-steam) layouts. DITD combines both these objects of discussion and clearly shows why neither should be dismissed - in fact quite the opposite. It proves that whatever the prototype or era, those who have the skills will make a stunning model, fit for display in this or any other model railway medium.

• Like 1

Old Dudders

Thank you very much on your kind warm comments.

I too have seen the thread to which you refer and I got very bored with it.

As I see it RMweb is here to promote the hobby, promote the exchange of idea's and encourage others in the hobby to have a go at building something - to get involved.

We do the odd demo at shows with exactly that in mind, to try and broaden the hobby and its appeal. I am constantly reminded by Old Gringo that the bottom will fall out of the hobby in the next 10-20 years if new blood is not encouraged in, as the average modelling age is heading ever northwards.

What I find very unhelpful are these 'internet pundits' who have nothing better to do than throw in something irrelervant just for the debate.

As far as i'm concerned people should build what they bl++dy want and be proud to show it off - where ever they like.

Spamage,

Nobody ever claimed he was track laying.......

Worsdell Forever

This state of bliss was short lived once he had realised the length of his jobs list and how little time he had to complete it.......

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

D - Really good shots! Hard to believe looking back at those photos how a relatively short time later it was at its first show. Looks like you got some cowboy in to do the polystyrene and plastering....

What is the track height? Looking at the photos it appears slightly low across the top pelmet? Or am I missing something here. I know the US modellers love to lift their layouts to eye level but with a top pelmet it has to be at least able to be looked into without bending down? Just a little niggle of my own because I am building my layout on a table, it is clearly not high enough and I wonder what final height I should make the stands for my layout so punters can see straight into it.

What is the track height? Looking at the photos it appears slightly low across the top pelmet? Or am I missing something here. I know the US modellers love to lift their layouts to eye level but with a top pelmet it has to be at least able to be looked into without bending down? Just a little niggle of my own because I am building my layout on a table, it is clearly not high enough and I wonder what final height I should make the stands for my layout so punters can see straight into it.

Track height is 46 inches

Well said that man. People should encourage any model railway skills, whether it's a window sill filler or a full working room-full. TMD's have an advantage of viewing your locos in a proper environment, rather than a MFI bookcase.

Hope all is well with you, Spring just budding down here in the Duchy so some photo opportunities arising, but no decent traction sadly!

Well said that man. People should encourage any model railway skills, whether it's a window sill filler or a full working room-full. TMD's have an advantage of viewing your locos in a proper environment, rather than a MFI bookcase.

Hope all is well with you, Spring just budding down here in the Duchy so some photo opportunities arising, but no decent traction sadly!

Craig,

Rumour has it you're building OOC next!

If that's the case i'll have to sell up and move down to the south west to help you build it.........

I agree the traction situation is a little steady these days, although there's been a 37 past today and we had Deltic 22 twice on Saturday - so mustn't grumble.

Hi there, well Mount Charles is all but finished, and I always loved the turntable area at OOC with 31s 47s 50s and 52s sat around the stabling roads and the grass bank behind. I think it would make a nice scene, specially with the 3 road servicing shed incorporated. PLUS I'd avoid having to build a roundhouse! Cheating I know.

Space will be the problem, I dont have any with the garage full of trains anyway. Dads layout is getting interesting now too, but I may start on the structures anyway. I was a steward at the 2000 open day and realised what we have lost through the years that afternoon with two Warships, a Western & Hymek sat gently ticking over all around the area.

Hi there, well Mount Charles is all but finished, and I always loved the turntable area at OOC with 31s 47s 50s and 52s sat around the stabling roads and the grass bank behind. I think it would make a nice scene, specially with the 3 road servicing shed incorporated. PLUS I'd avoid having to build a roundhouse! Cheating I know.

Space will be the problem, I dont have any with the garage full of trains anyway. Dads layout is getting interesting now too, but I may start on the structures anyway. I was a steward at the 2000 open day and realised what we have lost through the years that afternoon with two Warships, a Western & Hymek sat gently ticking over all around the area.

What? You're not modelling the factory?...........

Artizen,

To give a better idea;

This is a picture of the front of the layout, track height 46" and my height is 6 foot. To me this is ideal.

Note the 'letter box' viewing area this creates......

post-8734-0-77550500-1299696961_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the photo showing the relationship between the track height and people. It looks like the average punter can see into the layout without bending under the top pelmet and it also allows you to hide the lighting which if the layout was raised any more, would then be too bright (obvious). Surrpisingly the layout is smaller than I expected.

I have allowed around 420mm opening between the base of the box and the top pelmet on my layout so I hope it has the same effect when viewed. Although the LED strips I bought the other day are super bright so the idea of back lighting is probably a mistake!!!!!

Thanks for going to the effort of showing me this photo - much appreciated.

BTW - love the nameplate. I need to design a rocket for mine! wink.gif

Hey there

Love the layout! The scenery really does wonders to capture the feel and atmosphere!

I do have a quick question however...

What did you do to get the Kadee couplers to sit at the right height on the brake vans?

post-7599-0-09145600-1299706355_thumb.jpg

Any suggestions or pointers greatly appreciated!

BR NSE Fan

• Like 1

Hey there

Love the layout! The scenery really does wonders to capture the feel and atmosphere!

I do have a quick question however...

What did you do to get the Kadee couplers to sit at the right height on the brake vans?

post-7599-0-09145600-1299706355_thumb.jpg

Any suggestions or pointers greatly appreciated!

BR NSE Fan

Hi there.

Are you refering to the 'droop' problem you get with NEM sockets?

To combat this, I generally glue the NEM 'socket box' to the underside of the wagon. This is done with the wagon upside down and the box pressed hard against the chassis and superglue then applied. Care needs to be taken not to glue up the coupling head itself, as this type of glue tends to track along if too much is applied.

Please note this does take away the side to side movement of the coupling, however with short wheelbase wagons and easy curves on the layout this has not proved an issue.

Interestingly looking at this photo I think this partucular coupling is sat far too high!!!

Hi there.

Are you refering to the 'droop' problem you get with NEM sockets?

To combat this, I generally glue the NEM 'socket box' to the underside of the wagon. This is done with the wagon upside down and the box pressed hard against the chassis and superglue then applied. Care needs to be taken not to glue up the coupling head itself, as this type of glue tends to track along if too much is applied.

Please note this does take away the side to side movement of the coupling, however with short wheelbase wagons and easy curves on the layout this has not proved an issue.

Interestingly looking at this photo I think this partucular coupling is sat far too high!!!

I'm using a Kadee # 19 in my brakevan, and the pin drags against the ties in the rails! I'll give your suggestion a try and see what happens. Do you leave the pocket that the NEM box sits in attached, or do you remove it first?

Thanks!

I'm using a Kadee # 19 in my brakevan, and the pin drags against the ties in the rails! I'll give your suggestion a try and see what happens. Do you leave the pocket that the NEM box sits in attached, or do you remove it first?

Thanks!

If the Kadee is tight in its NEM coupler box and with no or very little vertical movement then all you'll need to do is bend the pin up very slightly to stop it dragging on the sleepers. It seems that this is a very common problem that not everyone seems to be aware of and they just blame the mounting or box. Simple really.

hth

Dave