2ManySpams

If the Kadee is tight in its NEM coupler box and with no or very little vertical movement then all you'll need to do is bend the pin up very slightly to stop it dragging on the sleepers. It seems that this is a very common problem that not everyone seems to be aware of and they just blame the mounting or box. Simple really.

hth

Dave

Hi Dave

It's not the coupler. I tried the same coupler in a Hornby Shark, and it lines up perfectly with the Kadee height guage. When using the coupler in the Bachmann brake van, it's significantly lower.

If the Kadee is tight in its NEM coupler box and with no or very little vertical movement then all you'll need to do is bend the pin up very slightly to stop it dragging on the sleepers. It seems that this is a very common problem that not everyone seems to be aware of and they just blame the mounting or box. Simple really.

hth

Dave

There are two fundamental issues here;

1) There is normally too much slack in the NEM box - which is why it (rightly) gets blamed.

2) Secondly there is no consistency in the mounting height.

Both conspire against the modeller and call for some home-grown bodging to get them around the right height and missing the rails.

And yes I agree you can bend the dropper out of the way - there's a tool for it-, but that does not address the height mismatch issue for the coupling itself and the risk of it un-coupling.

Getting rid of NEM boxes and sticking the Kaydee directly to the underside of the drawbar using non NEM couplings I'm sure would be the most consistent approach here.

If I'm honest tho, the whole coupling thing is a complete compromise. 3 links look best, but with the layout 3 1/2 foot deep they are a no no. We used Alex Jackson couplings on 'New Haden Colliery' but in my view were not reliable enough in the exhibition environment.

So here we have an unhappy compromise of using Kaydee's for reliablity - but not looks!

I'm currently dabling in 'O' gauge for my next project and 'Lincs' couplings are looking favourite

Hi Dave

It's not the coupler. I tried the same coupler in a Hornby Shark, and it lines up perfectly with the Kadee height guage. When using the coupler in the Bachmann brake van, it's significantly lower.

A quick fix you could try is remove the nem box from Bachmann van and turn it over and pop it back in, sometimes this will lift the coupler that tiny bit higher.

Ah yes the boxes mainly baccys are somewhat haphazzard in there design, but if the pin drags on the sleepers then there is a significant mismatch and not normally down to just the height of the coupler itself.

hth

Dave

Hi Damian,

I remember there been a railfreight grey tractor at Stafford show too and there seemed to be a fair bit of stock on show too, i stood next to DITD for quite some time luv the layout and stock especially all the nicely weathered 37's you have now on the depot there superb an add that real dutchy theme to the layout.

Keep up the good work and more pics please :rolleyes:

Cheers, Rich.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a quick note to say - We are still here!

Black sheep modellers; John, Damian & Chris [alias good, bad and ugly - but not neccessarly in that order] are currently working full tilt on John's project 'Once upon a time in the West' (link at the bottom) - thus no postings on progress here at present.

DitD next show's this year are

Truro - August

Warley October

Next job is to 'pipe up' the 37's and maybe install DCC decoders to the tortoise point motors- if i'm fealing brave.....

Thanks to Steve Fay and Richierich for your very kind and welcome comments.

I think the BSMRG members are perhaps the bad, the bad and the bad...... :drinks:

Or; The bad, The Baderer and The Baderist.

BSMRG = Black Sheep Model Railway Group - I think? alternatives (and members) welcome......

Warley exhibition is November not October - better remember that when I turn up with the layout. Mind you if it was the 'clothes show live' - that could be quite interesting, and possibly better than talking to a load of smelly middle aged blokes. No offence.....

The year I went along there was a textiles exhibition in the other building... unfortunately most of the totty wasn't heading for Warley. It wasn't hard to find the queue of patrons though.

Reminds me of a line of bus stops bound for the WSR at Taunton station. It soon became evident of which stop it was - looking at the fashion, rucksacks and hairstyles gathered.

Hopefully see you at Trura then!

Best wishes

Craig

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The year I went along there was a textiles exhibition in the other building... unfortunately most of the totty wasn't heading for Warley. It wasn't hard to find the queue of patrons though.

Reminds me of a line of bus stops bound for the WSR at Taunton station. It soon became evident of which stop it was - looking at the fashion, rucksacks and hairstyles gathered.

Hopefully see you at Trura then!

Best wishes

Craig

Yes we are really looking forward to the Truro show and seeing all our friends from the West - in fact we can never find enough excuses to come down there, we love it!

Craig you spelt Truro with an 'a', is that a localism or typo?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm mean't to be working on Old Gringo's 'rails in the sand' - 'Once upon a Time in the West' project...

However, concious Truro show is just around the corner in August, thoughts are turning to that list of Job's on DitD.

The work is mainly on the stock, I need to chip-up a few more loco's, upgrade the speakers and add all the front end detail, such as the pipes to the 37's.

I stumbled across Fitting a base reflex speaker which has been invaluable as I've now trial fitted my first one, thanks to Kevpoe for all those tips - Isn't Rmweb a very handy thing?

Heres a couple of pic's of the loco in question.

post-8734-0-73876000-1308389154_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-85083600-1308389253_thumb.jpg

Evidence in the backround of my new and unstoppable interest in things stateside - It came out the blue, much to my suprise

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Puzzle.....

Clocked a couple of china clay slurry wagons at Donny today. Rare indeed.

post-8734-0-41425900-1306354155_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-20970200-1306354185_thumb.jpg

Any ideas?

The left one (I think) was still there untouched last Thursday 16th. Suspect they may be being refurbished or sold on?

By the way, Donny was rubbish on Thursday with only 7 freights through the station in the four hours between 10.30 and 14.30. Sorry to change the subject!

P @ 36E

I went to see those nice fellows at Digitrains in Digby on Saturday to get some more sound equipment for my 37's. I was thinking I would aquire more SWD chips with base reflex speakers. We discussed the options and the possibilty of Zimo. With that another customers 37/4 appeared fitted with a Zimo chip. This had two programmes on it, one where the sound automatically follows the loco and secondly where you can manualy notch up and down regardless of speed. I was allowed to play for a while and within minutes I was completely hooked. The realism (and play value) of being able to control the notching is fabulous. No more engine noise reving upwards when the loco has actualy come to a stand. It requires a lot more concentration tho and further training for the team.... Further, because we control two or three trains at once at an exhibition and with the possibility of the points going digital as well I can see the whole show just consisting of 'number tapping' - I'm sure moderation and sense will prevail!!.

Here's a shot of the Base flex speaker 'shoe horned' into the fuel tanks of 37 674. The sound is fab!

post-8734-0-77734600-1308827981_thumb.jpg

Thanks must go to the guys at Digby for the their time and patience - especially when I inadvertently changed the Loco address while trying to change the sound mode. A lot to learn here me thinks. Once I got back home I also broke a plastic chassis while fitting the speaker - you can just see it in the photo at the back.

I used smaller tools on the second go! ha ha.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

hey D, i think we're fast heading to train simulator territory! Soon there will be degree courses in DCC wiring, control and programming at colleges. For the time being I'm staying retro with DC but Imthink the time will come (after steam sound improves to match diesel) that i could switch to the 'dark side'.

i take it you were using a large wood saw and yomma on the chassis when it broke?!

I can see a heavy lump of metal coming in useful when the operating staff on the layout are underperforming. The fact that it's off a diesel is even better for dealing with those pesky non-conforming steam men.......

Getting ready for this Saturdays Members jamboree, it's my first, we will be there with John's under-construction 'Once upon a Time in the West'.

• 3 weeks later...

Right then.

With Truro show only a few weeks away I thought it best to dig out DitD from storage and start to consider those jobs that need doing.

It's last show was Wadebridge in November last year and it has been stored ever since with my main efforts being concentrated on John's Wild West project.

First Job - find all the bits.....

post-8734-0-20973300-1310834626_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-95018000-1310834723_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-96744200-1310834832_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Right then.

First Job - find all the bits.....

I find this essential, after driving from Whitby to Expo EM North at Slaithwaite last September without all the baseboards for Greyscroft Mine, I now double check... unsure.gif

• RMweb Premium

mmmm I seem to remember that it was probably a good 14 months ago that I started the final section of the workshop building. I'm guessing that finishing this for the Truro show would be a good idea - by the way how come it's already time for the Truro show? Where's the time gone??

Over the next few weeks I'll be posting photos of the final section being built - it will be nice to do some modelling in 2011 not just 12" to 1' house building. On the original two sections I routinely sent Damian photos of the build via text - only to find his phone wasn't accepting them!

For those that are interested in the constuction of the original 2 parts of the building, photos can be found by clicking here.