A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Stubby47's Project #1 - DM Four Mill Something

• RMweb Gold

It's freelance, but with influence from several local buildings, especially a large dance hall in Camborne.

You don't see many rail served dance halls so you're lucky to have one so close to refer to. :mosking:

Thanks Steve.

It's freelance, but with influence from several local buildings, especially a large dance hall in Camborne.

This will be the rear elevation, so a little less ornate.

Thanks Stubby47, did you draw a plan first or just bulid it, I've got to build a freelance building myself and I'm wondering how to start.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

No plans, other than an idea in my head.

I knew roughly the footprint, being mainly triangular, and that the three doorways had to fit over the tracks. The centre lines of the three lines were measured from one end. The near two tracks are NG only, so have a door width of 35mm, the larger door has to take std gauge stock so is 55mm - these being measured out from the centre lines.

After that, I pondered on the height, and added a suitable amount for the middle and upper floors.

The embellishments are just pieces of thin strip plasticard and rows of bricks, with a 2mm square strip along the top edge.

The boiler house is a simple add-on, with a roller door from corrugated sheet and a couple of Ratio / Peco items for the door & vent.

So, sorry, no real planning, other than how big can it be, how tall, what sort of windows and what Victorian style decoration can I add ?

For your building, think about its use, how it might have been changed over the years (doors/windows blocked up, extensions, different brickwork) and have a look in your local area for suitable prototypes to base it on.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Starting to add the basic infrastructure for the underground embankment and some more of the ground terrain.

post-7025-0-46217900-1543325906_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-42714400-1543325909_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-28882500-1543325912_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-43843100-1543325915_thumb.jpg

Don't worry, the snow will return...

Build time: about 12 hours

Days to go: 3 !!

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Should be able to add the sky later, plus a planked cover to an underground PECKETT run.

This evening's plan is to add the uncoupler for the std gauge, fix the track and add the PECKETT.

post-14122-0-21598600-1543393430_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Er........nope....even though I have two Pecketts , I am too fond of the little chaps to part with them.

Despite the demise of Bleat, I have a plan which may or may not involve the use, or otherwise, of Pecketts......in fact, I might go looking for a third........