A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Stubby47's Project #1 - DM Four Mill Something

• RMweb Gold

I've got a Y1 Sentinel which will do very nicely.

As a replacement for the Peckett should it not want to get up in the morning...

• RMweb Gold

With just over 2 weeks to the Hayle exhibition (1st December), I've made a start this evening on the NG version of DM4MS.

First job was to decide on a track plan and thus the size of board needed.

After several ideas, and realising the layout would need to be operated from front-right ( not front-left as I wanted), I've decided on what's needed scenically as well as operationally.

The scenic area will be approx 28" x 14", with a FY area on the right and a detachable loop on the rear.

The main building will be slightly angled, to be perpendicular to the track, with a separate track running in from the right beyond the building and a std gauge line coming in from the right in front.

post-7025-0-96940700-1542227446_thumb.jpg

Build time : 1.5 hours

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

More track purchased today, to be used instead of the set track on the scenic section.

I also treated myself to one of these (gr-220u) :

post-7025-0-49550700-1542286770.png

It does have a roof, but it's also white like the background...

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

As No.1 daughter is in driving duties today, it will be a lunchtime of musing and planning, rather than any practical work.

For example, as the three live-frog points will be in a ladder formation, only a power feed to the toe of the first point should be required.

A DPDT switch will used to swap between the NG and Std G tracks.

I'm still not sure whether to use full wire-in-tube to levers in the FY, or just straight bars to the front edge of the layout, so need in investigate the practicalities of both.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Along the backscene I need to add a tunnel mouth / underground entrance on the left rear. Moving across from that will be a retaining wall with a sloped grass bank above. The relative sizes and footprint of these will be determined by the buildings - the office block & shed and the main stores/factory/something that will form the right-hand scenic break.

This will probably be in a Victorian architecture style, so red brick with large white stone embellishments. There may be a tower (clock?) placed centrally ( shades of Allan Downes).

Ground cover will be concrete in front of the main building, but grass elsewhere. The track will be mostly just ballasted, but in clearly defined routes, with the ballast edged with larger stones. Cork tiles & foam board will raise the ground as required.

• RMweb Gold

The loop at the back of the layout is N gauge set track. I'll make a narrow base for it to rest on, with side walls for protection. This will plug into the main baseboard at each end of the loop and the set track connected.

Testing has highlighted that I need a double rail isolation in the loop, but no other wiring is required for the main track.

The Lillput loco runs really sweetly, hopefully the Kato chassis under the 3D printed body will also run better after a few dozen laps.

Next job is to finish the std gauge track & DPDT, then fabricate the front wall of the munitions factory/warehouse to align the three entrances. After that I can add the various gound levels prior to ballasting & ground cover.

Build time: 4 1/4 hours

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Next job is the attached boiler house and chimney. You can see the proposed outline on the main wall of the pitched roof. The outer end will be a gable, with a loading door. I'm thinking a square based chimney will be easier, with the top higher than the front layout frame.