Class 205 in Conjunction with Kernow Model Shop

Hi everyone,

Just picked up my NSE thumper from the post office this morning. Its a superb model with great attention to detail. It's well worth every penny when you consider this is a retailer commissioned model well done to Chris and the team at Kernow.

If id known sooner about Bifs sounds being fitted I would have gone for that having had a go of one at St Andrews as its very good. (I'll have to get one at Glasgow and do a sound fitting demo to my unit then)

Thanks

Mark

Regrettably, I think you'll find they will only be selling videos and titbits, such as soundchips, but I would be very glad to be proven wrong about that!

CORRECT:  No kits are currently available, very busy at the moment with other things, sadly kit sales fell off a cliff over 5 years ago, 'Even Parkside  Dundas is up for sale'

Charlie

Edited by charliepetty

I must admit, the Thumper in NSE livery looks rather tasty.

There has been a lot of talk about Kernow having picture proof for all 2H versions they have released/are releasing.

Does anyone know of a picture of a (or rather this) 2H in NSE livery, as opposed to a 3H?

Any likewise, for the Connex 2H?

And why are these both de-branded versions?

Regards,

Michel

• RMweb Premium

I must admit, the Thumper in NSE livery looks rather tasty.

There has been a lot of talk about Kernow having picture proof for all 2H versions they have released/are releasing.

Does anyone know of a picture of a (or rather this) 2H in NSE livery, as opposed to a 3H?

Any likewise, for the Connex 2H?

And why are these both de-branded versions?

Regards,

Michel

Some units ran as two-car in NSE livery in their latter days as individual coaches were shuffled around to keep enough in traffic (which there usually were not) and others were condemned.  The centre cars were first to go.  I suspect the lack of branding is because the photo-references used show unbranded coaches.  With short planned lives they didn't all get the branding despite having the otherwise full repaint.  

• RMweb Gold

I'd be interested in any pictures of 205 015 from early 1993 (wishful thinking)...

Droplight restrictions applied 4‑89. Unit ran briefly in Dec-90 with DTC 60801 (ex.205002), then seating 13 first and 206 second. TS 60664 withdrawn Jan‑93 and stored at Selhurst with unit reduced to 2H and used as standby unit for Ashford to Hastings services (now seating 19 first and 102 standard).

Unit withdrawn from 9‑Jun‑93...

(Bloodandcustard.com)

Griff

• RMweb Gold

CORRECT:  No kits are currently available, very busy at the moment with other things, sadly kit sale fell off a cliff over 5 years ago, 'Even Parkside Dundas is up for sale'

Charlie

Hi Charlie

Sorry again to draw the discussion away from the Kernow model

Sad to hear the sale of kits has fallen off, a big shame as the only source of some DMU/DEMU/EMUs. Will you start to sell again in the New Year? I'm after a couple, happy to correspond by PM.

Neil

Quoted from Blood and custard:

Three car unit number 205001 was sent for overhaul at Eastleigh December 1998 and was released as a two-car on 18th January 1999 in Connex livery, the trailer coach (TS) remained at Eastleigh having not been overhauled.

I assume then that if it did run as a 2 car it must have been a temporary formation.

It seems there are ways to get the model to run as 3-car.

Matching paintjobs will probably be tricky.

What type of coach/carriage is sitting in the centre of this NSE Class 205?

http://www.tosh-railways.com/Railways/70-uk-railway-photography/DEMU/i-MNkL7Lw/A

Regards, Michel

It's a TSO from a 4-CEP.  See third paragraph here: http://www.kentrail.org.uk/Class%20205.htm

I've made a few changes to my 205 to take it back to earlier Network SouthEast days.  The OHLE flash has been removed from the secondman's window (this comes off with a little bit of rubbing using white spirit and a cotton bud), NSE lettering has been added to the sides, and an NSE lozenge has been applied to the cab fronts.  I've also added drivers at each end. I'd like to remove the cantrail stripe from the cab front, but don't want to end up with a rub mark.  If anyone successfully achieves removal of it, please let us know what you used.

I used Modelmaster transfers for this, pack 4952.

Looking through lots of pictures of 205001 and other 205s, the position of the NSE lettering changes over time.  I opted for what I think is the most common position and what I think looks best.  There was definitely only one lot of lettering on each side of a unit.

post-17625-0-38475900-1440953271_thumb.jpg

post-17625-0-32817400-1440953279_thumb.jpg

post-17625-0-91225200-1440953283_thumb.jpg

post-17625-0-82913000-1440953291_thumb.jpg

post-17625-0-90861100-1440953295_thumb.jpg

Edited by BR(S)
  • Like 9

Seeing all these tasty NSE Thumper pictures, especailly with these nice enhancements, I'm rather tempted switching the time frame of my layout, from 3/1967, to a timeframe within the NSE era.

For this, the layout trackplan is getting altered somewhat, incorperating a terminating local service, incl. small stabling point, in between the continueing mainline.

The fleet for the local service will be 4 trains (2x 2H NSE forming a 4-car train, 33 + 3 coaches + 33 and 4x 2-EPB (Blue, 2x Blue/Grey, NSE) forming two 4-car trains).

They will all run at rushhour traffic, whereas the 4x 2-EPB will run as four 2-car trains outside these periodes.

Regards, Michel

BR(S), the cab front handrails need painting too, Kernow got this wrong.

Cheers.

What colour Paul?

Regards, Michel

Ah yes, missed that, ta.  I'll have to do it next week as I've just packed up the 205 ready for a running session round a friends house tomorrow.

Looks like a touch of black paint will do the job:

5522201118_89d99a9487_z.jpg'Thumper' by Martyn Hearson, on Flickr

Or silver if you prefer (I'll be going with black):

4392752773_a26ee23904_z.jpg205001 at Ham Street by 74009, on Flickr

Edited by BR(S)
  • Like 2

It seems black is later, with the unit debranded and fitted with high intensity headlight, whereas silver is early branded NSE.

Hard to see if it's rounded livery edges on the earlier version.

Regards, Michel

Having looked through loads of pictures of 205s, I'm amazed at the variations that occurred in their NSE livery over the years (assuming that the photo dates have been recorded correctly!). 

An example for 205001, all from the motor end:

1990: NSE lozenge, no OHLE flash: https://flic.kr/p/deUgLM

1993: No NSE lozenge, OHLE flash in secondman's window: https://flic.kr/p/jvAkHr

1994: No lozenge, no OHLE flash: https://flic.kr/p/jvG4gV

• Like 1

Interesting links. What particularly interests me is that it was rebranded as early as 1993. Also, the triangle was moved up at this stage (because of the headlight).

The 1993 shot also looks like it carries the network southeast writing on the DTCL.

Edited by kintbury jon

Jon, I suppose you mean debranded, rather then rebranded?

For the layout shift from 1967 to 1987, instead of 2x green 2H and 1x blue 2H, I now intend to run two 2H sets in NSE livery as one train, with the motor coaches at the outer ends.

Of course Legomanbiffo sound fitted!!! :locomotive:

I would like to find pictures of Class 205 units in NSE livery, running as 2-cars, even if it was later as 1987.

Who knows were to find them?

Regards,

Michel

Interesting links. What particularly interests me is that it was rebranded as early as 1993. Also, the triangle was moved up at this stage (because of the headlight).

The 1993 shot also looks like it carries the network southeast writing on the DTCL.

NSE writing was carried on one side of the trailer coach and on one side of the motor coach (the opposite side to the trailer).  So with a complete train, you'd only ever see one lot of Network SouthEast writing.  I think these units were only debranded after privatisation began.  Kernow chose to sell the NSE ones as debranded so they would have a bigger market to appeal to.  People like me could add their own NSE logos etc., as I've done above.

Edited by BR(S)
  • Like 1

I would like to find pictures of Class 205 units in NSE livery, running as 2-cars, even if it was later as 1987.

Who knows were to find them?

Very few, if any, pictures of two car units in the NSE period.  That's why Kernow sold it in debranded livery as there are lots of pictures of it as a two car in that livery. 

Here's a two car 205024 in 1999: http://www.rigalleries.com/RailwayImageGalleries/Class-201-to-222/i-DjNzg8C/A

Edited by BR(S)
  • Like 1