Class 205 in Conjunction with Kernow Model Shop

• RMweb Premium

No change has been made to the livery as applied.  The orange V on mine perhaps looks "more orange" because the entire front of the unit has been weathered so isn't the bright shades you would see out of the box any more.  I hope it also looks "more realistic" in terms of having seen some use.

EDIT : OK I'm bored with "Auto-correct" changing my words.   "Front" is a word.  It didn't need to become "From".  Thank you.  Rant over.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1

Thank you kindly Jim (and to Rob whose post above went up while I was attending to Jim's enquiry)

I have a weathering topic already under way and have added a new post to that in response to your comment.   See here :  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/63347-getting-down-and-dirty/?p=972571

Thanks very much, off to get a mug of tea and to have a read through and gain some confidence to do the job!

Update

Now the canopy glue has set the Sound is so much better. It really does sound like a thumper.

Ian

Ian, forgive my ignorance, what's canopy glue? 

Thank you kindly Jim (and to Rob whose post above went up while I was attending to Jim's enquiry)

I have a weathering topic already under way and have added a new post to that in response to your comment.   See here :  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/63347-getting-down-and-dirty/?p=972571

Nice weathering Gwiwer, never had the confidence to try this but after reading your thread 'gettting down and diry' I might give it a go.

I've got a terrier somewhere and a few wagons that need the treatment so I'll have a practice on them first before tackling the (D)EMU's.

I've always kept my stock in 'pristine' up to now but slowly coming around to a 'weathered looks better' point of view.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Canopy glue is an aircraft modellers glue for using on aircraft canopies.

It's a PVA type but super strong and dries clear. It is thicker than superglue so can be used to fill gaps and does fog glazing.

It can also be peeled off.. Just about.

• Like 1

Anyone noticed a slope on their power car?

Can clearly bee seen here.

http://www.southernelectric.org.uk/modelling/reviews/mod4rev-kernow-2h.html

(Second and Sixth picture rows down, side views)

Looks like the same problem affecting some MLV's including the latest livery version.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151359976408207&set=a.10151359966658207.1073741825.176420418206&type=3&theater

• RMweb Premium

Definitely not the case here but I agree it does appear to be the same issue as affects a few MLVs from the linked photos.  As with the MLVs I suspect it will turn out to be only a few individual models affected.

I did a quick video today out on the patio of my 2H with sound.

Won't the missus let you have a layout indoors? ( "You're not bringing that thing in the house" )  :-)  Just imagine if the neighbours caught you doing this!

Seriously though, i thought the sound was pretty good. One weird thing, the bodies seem to be expanding and contracting, as if breathing in and out, or have i drunk too much caffeine? No doubt it's the camera over-compensating or something, which might explain the aforementioned Kernow photo distortion or optical illusion? Thanks for posting.

Cheers, Brian.

Edited by Brian Kirby

• RMweb Gold

The garge is full with Banbury boards set up so the patio was the only alternative. It was a very cold morning so no one else outside so I probably got away with it!

Yes he camera was changing exposure. I had the Digitrax throttle in the other hand so it wasn't easy holding the camera. Mind you, in their last years some of the units did appear to bend a bit.

This unit will be running on STAR LANE when the layout is finished. Looking forward to giving the thumper a good thrash as that layoit is circular.

Ian

• Like 1

If that's the stub of the Alton branch - it'd have a hard job getting past the 6" diameter birch trees nowadays - only managed to reach the buffer once during my time at Woking - that was in the vegetation free-ish days of winter.............good to see it

EDIT - Bramley MOD system - even better ! - It was being turned into a housing estate when I used to walk past on the mains - always wondered what it looked like...................excellent posting

Edited by Southernman46

• RMweb Gold

I was on that tour of Bramley . I remember it being a damp day and the unit I was in did have to take a few attempts to climb some of the gradients coming out from under the Basingstoke Reading line.

It was a great and unique tour.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

"Delivery imminent" is their current website advice and that was posted several days ago.  So Connex fans should be prepared to have their wallets prised open any day now.

• Like 1

I have just received my model of 1108. I am very impressed with the detail, the windscreen wipers, the fan in the roof and the chrome plated door window tops. The motor is concealed by the real motor housing. I am modelling the Swanage Railway and I originally bought an MTK kit that I never got round to making as I never imagined anyone would make a ready to run model. Most of the units that ran on the Swanage Railway from 5th September 1966 to 1st January1972 were three car sets and the following have been spotted: 1101, 1104 Sept 66, 1105 green 25 March 1967, 1108 July 1969, 1110 1st January 1972, 1111 June 1970, 1113 18th Feb 1967, 1114 Oct 1968, 1128 Aug 1969 and 1129 June 1969.

It looks like Kernow are not taking any more orders for the BR blue one which should be ready in 2014 so it looks like I missed out on this one. I hope they make some BR green and BR blue 3 car sets.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A highly unusual setting for 205 units near Basingstoke:-

Great fun - I went there on an 'official' visit with the school CCF but unfortunately part of our visit over-ran and we missed the train we were supposed ti be taking round part of the system so that plus walking bits of it was all I managed.  It used to have an internal passenger train service which ran to a timetable (which is why we missed it - the Army didn't wait for latecomers).  Nice to see it again, thanks.

Edited by The Stationmaster

As it doesn't seem to be flagged anywhere, as of today (saturday 16/03) anyone waiting for their Connex units should listen out for the postman's knock.

RP

• Like 1

My father was one of the drivers on the Bramley Bunker tour, I've still got the souvenir program along with the MoD pass he was issued with and some other documentation regarding the schedule and local rules & regs.

He also took a load of photos on the day, but sadly lost the lot due to a faulty film (35mm 36exp of sorts) that somehow split along most of its entire length.

Another of the great events of the Gerald Daniels era at Basingstoke, sadly all too long ago now.

• RMweb Premium

As it doesn't seem to be flagged anywhere, as of today (saturday 16/03) anyone waiting for their Connex units should listen out for the postman's knock.

RP

Might have to take mine into work when I get it!!!  We were discussing it the other day and one thing that was asked was will the Connex version have a special sound chip with a grumbling driver muttering up the front about his going home train being late plus a feature where it stops at a platform, makes a horrendous racket before randomly chucking a piston out of the engine room window!!!

• Like 2