Class 205 in Conjunction with Kernow Model Shop

• RMweb Gold

Just received the Spring (No.181) issue of Model Rail and whilst reading the very detailed and positive review of the Cl.205s noted that they've listed Kernow as doing a sound version 31-237ZDS Connex Thumper.

Strange, I thought, as nothing such listed on the Kernow website. Called Kernow and they confirmed that, as I thought, they are not doing a sound-fitted Connex version. Pity, because if they had of done. I would have changed my order. Looks as though I'll have to wait until SW Digital or Howes produce a Thumper sound decoder.

Keith

Just received the Spring (No.181) issue of Model Rail and whilst reading the very detailed and positive review of the Cl.205s noted that they've listed Kernow as doing a sound version 31-237ZDS Connex Thumper.

Strange, I thought, as nothing such listed on the Kernow website. Called Kernow and they confirmed that, as I thought, they are not doing a sound-fitted Connex version. Pity, because if they had of done. I would have changed my order. Looks as though I'll have to wait until SW Digital or Howes produce a Thumper sound decoder.

Keith

Hi Keith.

I think (although I may be wrong) Olivias Trains were supplying the sound for the Thumper, It's listed on their website as a Loksound V4 DEMU Class 205

http://www.oliviastrains.com/pages/71/0/DCC_CHIP_AND_SOUND___MAIN

Could save you the wait.

• RMweb Gold

Hi there Tender,

Thanks for your message. I know Olivia's have provided sound decoders to Kernow for after fit to some diesel locos that Kernow have sold but in the case of the Thumpers I was under the impression that, as these were Bachmann-produced products, the sound decoders for the sound-fitted Thumpers were provided by SW Digital.

Before purchasing a Thumper decoder from Olivia's I would want to hear the recording first and ascertain where the recording came from. One thing that worries me is that when you click on the "205 DEMU" on the Olivia's website it takes you to the function listing for:

- 1st Generation DMU 101-121

- 2nd generation DMU 142-170

- Cl.220-222

There is no reference to the Class 205.

More digging around is required.......

Keith

Legomanbiffo (an RMweb member under the same name) is now doing a Class 205 sound chip, via DC Kits: http://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/shop/dcc_digital_loco_sounds/diesel_electric_digital_loco_sounds_includes_the_all_new_xl_v4_decoder_/class_205_2h_hampshire_unit_thumper_legomanbiffo_new_project.php

I have a couple of his sound decoders and they are good.  He is also very helpful if you need any advice about them.  If you contact him, I'm sure he would happily upload a video to YouTube of the sounds as he has put many of his on there.

Referring to the St.Trinian's film and the style of livery front end, obviously my mind was playing tricks then! Very funny film, didn't the police commandeer the DEMU to chase the robbers? That's two consecutive films of Thumpers on army bases then. BK

Edited by Brian Kirby

• RMweb Gold

Connex 205 has arrived. Going to have a play with it now. First impressions are good but not too sure about the sudden change in colour of the yellow band at the cab ends.

post-462-0-65677000-1363787640.jpg

• RMweb Gold

That may well be prototypical as i do recall the end part of the band being a stick on vynil rather than painted.

A couple of photos showing a change in the band although on this unit  at Uckfield its not a dramatic as the model.

post-1557-0-11371300-1363788878_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-50579800-1363788890_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Couple of shots from my phone of the unit sat on the layout.

post-462-0-63416000-1363789199.jpg

Engine grills are now dark rather than white on the pre-production model and looks much better for it.

post-462-0-37066500-1363789200.jpg

This makes the colour change look really sudden, it's not that bad really. I'm glad they went for blanks at both ends on the display, I know its not to everyones taste but it does look better when the model is expected to run both ways.

Model is currently being run in, straight out the box is reasonably smooth with a hint of a 'thump' at low speeds :D

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Not really in keeping with my railway location but I couldn't resist such a fantastic model.  The fading is obvious but not too bad.

8583738448_5610cb83eb.jpg

8583738380_cb9524002e.jpg

]8582647453_8064da501f.jpg

The railway is still very much in construction by the way!

Rob

Edited by robf
  • Like 2

I think the best source for that information would be Kernow Models themselves, although their website is not particularly helpful on that score right now. They do update their news section regularly and I feel sure they will advise delivery dates as soon as they get that info themselves.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Added to which if you are not already a subscriber to their newsletter then sign up and be among the first to see any news and the latest updates on this and all their projects.  

• RMweb Premium

Yes, but a simple confirmation that they are still going ahead would be nice, without having to be asked. If not I would like the opportunity to buy one of the current green versions before they sell out. Something they may confirm to me personally carries a bit less weight than a formal announcement.

Edited by brushman47544

My Connex liveried 205 turned up at 8.30 this morning....haven't run it in yet but my first impressions are what a fantastic model. The fade out isn't as bad as I feared! In fact it is very good!

Well done Kernow for a very good looking model...you've raised the bar!!

Edited by Tase

• RMweb Gold

I wish I still had my first ever exhibition layout ' Eridge'. I remember taking the train down there on several occassions to get photos and dimensions of the buildings. It was great listening to the Thumpers coimng in and then departing in this fairly rural location with the Tun Wells unit idling in the bay / loop platforms back in the early 80's. It was a fairly short ride from my then local station of Upper Warlingham.

I was very tempted to get a second one off Kernow at Ally Pally. That Connex one was  tempting.!

Ian