The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

Here is todays NSW fire predictions, given the 40 degrees plus temperatures and strong winds. . FIrefighters are not hopeful of saving towns or homes, but are hoping to keep loss of life to a minimum.

Fire-Spread-Prediction-Sat-4-Jan-2020.png.d185a493e4dd0ff804671e4b359661fd.png

Didn't stop the real estate section of the Fairfax media thinking it was a good time to run this advertorial..

https://www.domain.com.au/news/holiday-at-home-the-best-places-to-buy-in-the-nsw-south-coast-919342/?utm_source=smh.com.au&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=link-widget&utm_campaign=plista-smh

• Like 2

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

How are you doing down your way?

Pretty quiet, our danger time was the week before christmas, the fire is currently up north and down south. Pretty intense day though, Penrith has over 48 degtrees and the monitoring station is down at the river\, in the suubrbs itself it would be 50 or more..

Weird checking the Fires Near Me website and   seeing  an out of control grass  fire In Randwick... (under control now)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Pretty quiet, our danger time was the week before christmas, the fire is currently up north and down south. Pretty intense day though, Penrith has over 48 degtrees and the monitoring station is down at the river\, in the suubrbs itself it would be 50 or more..

Weird checking the Fires Near Me website and   seeing  an out of control grass  fire In Randwick... (under control now)

It's over 44 here and the map is showing two small fires over in the Rouse Hill/Riverstone direction. Let's hope they don't develop and move east.

All the best.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, sandwich station said:

When did he say this?

Not far off what he did actually say. Basically 'don't panic, don't panic' in a Corporal Jones voice and 'Fire services and equipment are state matters and not the federal government'. The latter was in response to a request for the National Aerial fire services request for more water bombing planes, a couple of months ago.

Scott Morrison, still believes that Australia is still on target to meet it's carbon targets.

But it would seem that more coal mines (Adini & Clive Palmers one) are increasingly unlikely to go ahead, as the world's banks are abandoning financing major new coal projects.

https://www.theage.com.au/environment/climate-change/the-world-has-made-the-link-between-australian-coal-fires-and-climate-20200103-p53omu.html

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Not far off what he did actually say. Basically 'don't panic, don't panic' in a Corporal Jones voice and 'Fire services and equipment are state matters and not the federal government'. The latter was in response to a request for the National Aerial fire services request for more water bombing planes, a couple of months ago.

Scott Morrison, still believes that Australia is still on target to meet it's carbon targets.

But it would seem that more coal mines (Adini & Clive Palmers one) are increasingly unlikely to go ahead, as the world's banks are abandoning financing major new coal projects.

https://www.theage.com.au/environment/climate-change/the-world-has-made-the-link-between-australian-coal-fires-and-climate-20200103-p53omu.html

I hope that most  people will see through carbon targets being met by "shonky" accounting methods.

Hopefully after the events of the past five months or so, will mean that any political party that advocates the opening of new coal mines will earn the wrath of the electorate. What I can't understand Kevin, is why it has taken so long to make far more use of the ADF and the other measures announced yesterday, I completed the course to become a firefighter some years ago, it took four days(two full weekends) to get me on the truck, then some on-going stuff taking an hour or two on the very occasional Sunday Morning. Not sure why the ADF Reservists can't undergo the same, certainly give us a lot more fire fighting capacity. Unfortunately health issues preclude my participation these days.

Rgds.......Mike

Edited by ikks
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Can you do a swap for Jacob Rhees-Mogg and Nigel Farage?:jester:

Not to sure of who the first one is (I can't be bothered looking him up, since I suspect I don't want to know!), so your deal doesn't sound promising.

But I guess, we can't keep Tony & Craig out! Tony was forced to renounce his British citizenship, as it's a condition of being a pollie in Aus, NO DUAL CITIZENSHIP! There was a heap of by-elections over that issue.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

J R-M is otherwise known as the minister for the 18th century. You are lucky that you are no longer a colony otherwise he'd be sending all our criminals to join you. The best thing you could do with either of them is put them on the fires. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

Unfortunately there is a lot of disinformation now being spread about the fires.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/twitter-bots-and-trolls-promote-conspiracy-theories-about-australian-bushfires/

There are a lot of dodgy people around. Do they do this for self gratification or just  for some form of financial gain?

Baz

• Agree 1