SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Paul_sterling said:

If I take on face value the 14xx I got, the chassis is smooth as silk, so it can't be completely bad. Yes I've read the thread. 

Paul. 

Agreed, I've got two and they both run smooth as silk out of the box. So at least some of the were good.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Paul_sterling said:

If I take on face value the 14xx I got, the chassis is smooth as silk, so it can't be completely bad. Yes I've read the thread. 

Paul. 

8 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Agreed, I've got two and they both run smooth as silk out of the box. So at least some of the were good.

Well, you were lucky then as I am aware of a number of people for whom their 14xx were simply dogs. At least one simply binned the chassis on theirs and replaced with an etched alternative to obtain the running they required. 

Hattons supplied me with six in an attempt to provide two that were good enough to put in front of the paying public as part of an exhibition layout. By mutual agreement, we gave up but not before someone from Hattons informed me it was my layout rather than their products, a layout where every other loco ran perfectly well. 

It is in effect the world's first disposable locomotive. The motor is within a mazak  weight in the body. Both weight and motor remain in the body when the chassis is removed. Once the motor goes, bin. Add in the unnecessary gears between the axles with the accompanying ridiculous amount of slop in the coupling rods ( which means that the rods rarely if ever sit parallel when the loco halts) and you have a very ill conceived chassis. Oh, and the ash pan is completely missing from the locomotive. 

This was a loco that could have been churned out for years in various guises, a real money spinner. Hattons did one batch. 

When it came to announcing further batches of their in house locos in 2023 (for 2024 release ) they chose the P and the Andrew Barclay. Why, because they worked.

If the 14xx was okay, we could have seen 1401 being released last year to coincide with the Titfield releases from Rapido. 500 of those would have flown out. We didn't. 

There's your confirmation. The locos are flawed and not fit for purpose and not fit for further production until the chassis is relaced or extensively modified. 

Rob. 

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

You are rather forgetting that the stated intention here is to shut down the business called Hattons as soon as is reasonably possible - not keep it limping on just so more 'Hattons Originals' can be made.

Sentiment has no place in business dealings (only sound finical management) - and that doesn't magically change simply because its a much loved model railway retailer.

However given the whole point is that the owners of Hattons are trying to close down the business the preference will no doubt be given to reclaiming the cash as to take delivery of anything they have commissioned from China the business itself means keeping the company in existence for longer than would otherwise need to be the case.

Hence I believe its simply a case of how much money has already been paid out to Chinese factories and how much (if any) is recoverable if the order for the P tanks is cancelled.

If Hattons can recoup most of the money they will pull the plug - if they stand to lose a lot of cash then it makes it worthwhile carrying on with the P tank order.

9 hours ago, thecheesemiester said:

I've got two on pre-order and likewise would add another if it would help get them over the line. However I fear even if they had sufficient orders (or people crowdfunded it) the delivery timeline might just be too long for them to able to commit to all the related logistics

I tend to agree though the fact that the Ps were not cancelled until now suggests orders were healthy. I feel ultimately this will be time scales. Can the factory make them and ship them over before Hattons intends to finally close their doors? We have no info on that and Hattons may not even have decided any fixed dates on that either. But time will tell.

I see their retreat from the market more like a collapsing bag than a exploding ship. They are pulling out in good order disposing of stock etc. How long that would take will doubtlessly be measured in weeks or months only.

Its a safe bet that the tooling will end up somewhere though. I can think of a few interested parties and some are quite close. Again time will tell.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

The difference is that the P class needs nothing doing. The design is sound. The 14xx on the other hand needs a new chassis. It's rubbish so a new owner needs to take that into account. 

Re. the P. If Hatton's are trying to exit the market completely (my assumption) will they want to be hanging around dealing with warranty issues etc on any new models  for the foreseeable?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

There's your confirmation. The locos are flawed and not fit for purpose and not fit for further production until the chassis is relaced or extensively modified.

I don't disagree. My post was purely to highlight the fact at least some were good, even if it was the minority of models. I consider myself extremely lucky to have had both mine work fine.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Well, knowing full well it probably wont happen I've pre-ordered a P Class. It's possible these last minute pre-orders will help them make up their mind about doing the batch, who knows.

Done the same, seeing as I won't need to put funds aside for Barclays any more...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, JamFjord said:

Done the same, seeing as I won't need to put funds aside for Barclays any more...

You might not be aware that has changed.

Andrew Barclay reruns are currently under review. Once a decision has been made we will be sure to communicate this to customers.

Jason

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Well, knowing full well it probably wont happen I've pre-ordered a P Class. It's possible these last minute pre-orders will help them make up their mind about doing the batch, who knows.

I've done the same, been mulling about buying one for a while, figure it's now or never. Website was quite slow but usable.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

One of the best little rtr models made IMHO.I have an SECR version and an SR one “on order” from a few months ago when they announced another run. Fingers X. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

I don't disagree. My post was purely to highlight the fact at least some were good, even if it was the minority of models. I consider myself extremely lucky to have had both mine work fine.

And I have a few of the “rogue baby elephants “. Though they are not partial to dead frogs and maybe not the best of

performers,they have currently never failed me.ATM one stands at the head of The Titfield Thunderbolt ( pre wrecked version) complete with Rapido Buffet Car & WR Rapido Toad ….purchased November in final Hattons Black Friday sale,bless them. 

I may be perhaps being over sentimental but I do feel a sense of personal loss over this totally unexpected demise of an institution that has fulfilled so many dreams in the 77 years of its existence..The “Go To” has gone. I’m strongly reminded of Flanders & Swann’s lyrical epitaph for the Beeching closures….The Slow Train…”No More Will I go…….”

• Like 4

The P class really is one of the best RTR shunters ever made.

If the new batch is cancelled I feel sorry for the guys who had bluebell in their collection. Going rate before the new batch was about £300-£350. New batch was announced and they sold for about £120ish for people who cant wait. Now if that new batch is cancelled the value will probably shoot up again. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

The P class really is one of the best RTR shunters ever made.

If the new batch is cancelled I feel sorry for the guys who had bluebell in their collection. Going rate before the new batch was about £300-£350. New batch was announced and they sold for about £120ish for people who cant wait. Now if that new batch is cancelled the value will probably shoot up again. 

Well, I'm looking forward to weathering and using my SE&CR green examples irrespective of their perceived value. They were bought to be played with. Not used to fund a pension pot. 

Rob. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 11

3 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Well, I'm looking forward to weathering and using my SE&CR green examples irrespective of their perceived value. They were bought to be played with. Not used to fund a pension pot. 

Rob. 

Oh I couldn't give a toss about the collectors value either! My models are straight out the box, crew added and on a layout. The P class in particular runs too nicely to sit in a box. I just thought it was a bit harsh for them. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

You might not be aware that has changed.

Thanks, I wasn't. I hope both batches go ahead, even if my wallet is a little nervous about that prospect.

I had an email from Hatton's yesterday saying that they would not be able to supply my pre-ordered item, but did not state what it was. Now the only thing that I think I had ordered was a P class in the unlined SE&CR livery.

• RMweb Gold

This is taken from the email I received from Hattons regarding my pre-orders. I have a number of P Class on order along with some Genesis coaches.

Last paragraph on the email. 

" Any pre-orders for forthcoming Hattons Originals projects will remain in place so they can be fulfilled once the items are delivered "

Rob

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, wainwright1 said:

I had an email from Hatton's yesterday saying that they would not be able to supply my pre-ordered item, but did not state what it was. Now the only thing that I think I had ordered was a P class in the unlined SE&CR livery.

As yet,I’ve had no email notification that the P ordered last April will not be fulfilled 

The current Q&A says that they are considering the P class and will update when there is news. As the news of the closure is now only in its fourth day, I think we might need to wait a bit 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

As yet,I’ve had no email notification that the P ordered last April will not be fulfilled 

Likewise - and I have checked my account to ensure I did actually order one!

Chris

• Thanks 1

On 09/01/2024 at 21:45, NHY 581 said:

Rob. 

Some of us bought Bluebell because we actually wanted it, wasn't aware and don't really care that it shot up and down in value!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
On 12/01/2024 at 15:57, sleepyrider said:

I ordered a P class, post bombshell, order was accepted and confirmed. I take that as a positive sign. 

I'm not sure it's a sign, but hopefully will help swing the decision in the positive direction.