Aberdeen Kirkhill T&RSD

Flood

A fantastic piece of work and very realistic - top work. Shame about the 'banana' Mk3's thoughblink.gif , maybe I'll just keep the Lima ones afterallbiggrin.gif

08 leaving the shed

post-7112-12746592692_thumb.jpg

Sleeper from footpath

post-7112-127465926051_thumb.jpg

It's worth remembering that real Mark 3s were actually built on a camber, so the Hornby sleepers aren't that unrealistic, although they may be slightly exaggerated. The underframe jigs in Litchurch Lane works were designed deliberately such that the centre of the coach was higher than the ends. This was so that when the vehicles were loaded the bodyshell would be level and would not "hog". It used to be possible to see this camber effect when looking at the vehicles when in BR liveries, but it tends to be more difficult to see with the newer vinyl liveries because these tend to compensate for the camber.

Whether Hornby really intended to recreate the camber is a dubious argument, but whatever the answer, the sleepers aren't as inaccurate as they might at first appear!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we now have a wheel lathe to go in our wheel lathe shed! It was made by my good friend Ian (with a little help and persuasion from me!) down near Bristol. A week last Friday, I took Board 6 down there to get the lathe fitted - more carving of holes in the baseboard (!) and more wiring changes but I think it was worth it.

During the construction phase:

post-7306-127775916309_thumb.jpg

During fitting to the board:

post-7306-1277759198_thumb.jpg

This last weekend, I got the lighting wired in to the supply and we got the steps, handrails and people added. Still to do is weathering of the lathe itself and the pits and I need to build an overhead crane and a swarf conveyer to a skip outside, but what you see now is more or less how it will appear at the Members' Day on July 10th.

A couple of views without the shed in place, but nearing completion:

post-7306-127775930939_thumb.jpg

post-7306-127775937535_thumb.jpg

With the shed in place - from the North end:

post-7306-12777594142_thumb.jpg

...and from the South end:

post-7306-127775943178_thumb.jpg

The lathe is based on a Hegenscheidt machine but probably also owes something to Atlas and Sculfort wheel lathes that you can also find photos of on Fotopic and other web sites. I'll let you be the judge of how close we got it, but suffice to say, I'm pleased with the result..... Just a shame that the camera on my phone tends to give it a blue tinge - it looks better in real life, honest!

A few final views from outside the shed - through the roof lights:

post-7306-127775945861_thumb.jpgpost-7306-127775947686_thumb.jpg

....and through the side windows:

post-7306-127775949099_thumb.jpg

Thanks must also go to another former BR colleague, Richard, who helped with the transportation to/from Bristol and the fitting and finishing this last weekend and whom we are trying to co-opt onto the Kirkhill operating crew - and obviously also to Graham who did something somewhere........I think he shot one of the seagulls! :D

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Well that really is first class modelling, truly stunning. An excellent addition to a superb layout it really does give it individuality. Brilliant!

Eventually I will have to add the wheel lathe to Boxenby so may have to come to you for some help!

A fascinating, original and innovative idea superbly executed. I think that just about covers it. I presume the lathe actually works? wink.gif

Love this layout. There always seems to be something interesting and new every time I visit this thread. Inspirational. And based around 1980s ScotRail to boot, what more can you ask for in a layout?

Cheers

Dave

Waverley West

• RMweb Premium

Stunning!!!

Your going to have to let me in on how you achieved that blue filter effect on your camera wink.gif wink.gif laugh.gif

See you Friday

Only 11 more sleeps till RMweb day!!

• RMweb Premium

Your going to have to let me in on how you achieved that blue filter effect on your camera

Only 11 more sleeps till RMweb day!!

Didn't he go to the same evening class as you learning how to make blue movies :rolleyes:

Is it really only another 11 days to the Derby Members' Day - come and see this layout at Mickleover Community Centre near Derby. Details here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/16471-derby-members-day-10-july/

What Glenn and Graham haven't added yet is how they plan to move such a big layout to the Centre - they are so keen to show off their work that they will be delivering one board a day every day next week - as long as the seagulls don't get loose in the Clubrooms we'll be OK - although a pile of guano on some of the layouts won't make much difference :D :D

Mike

I've had a chat to Glenn this afternoon to give him the responses and I'm sure he would join me in saying thank you to everyone for their words of praise.

Excellent work by Richard with the handrails and filling in any gaps in the pit interior walls and yet again Glenn's lighting really highlights the modelling to great effect. I did help to paint a few things and add the mesh (I wasn't just shooting Seagulls!)

I've put a few photos through Gimp to reduce the blue, they're not perfect but are a bit better. The others have now been reposted by Glenn later in this thread.

1030818126_Lathewithoutbuildingover2.jpg.3e1e69d2bc715ab1ee931448542baaeb.jpg

2130886895_Lathewithoutbuildingover1.jpg.da38ef0b15e79666f6352ace2399078b.jpg

Edited by Flood
  • Like 2

The Wheel lathe looks truly fantastic.... WOW thats all i can say really! Gives the layout another dimension :) and if you don't mind i may have to mooch that idea for a future project ;) hehe

Can't wait to see some more pics of the layout.... it's really come on in recent months!

Danny

Thank you as always to everyone.

Derby's right in the middle of the country ya know, it would be a real pleasure to see as many of you as possible on July 10th. With a bit of luck we'll spend so much time chatting to folk we'll forget to run the layout sequence.

I'll apologise for the lack of variety on the layout now. It's only diesels in large logo, plain blue, three tone grey, old railfreight, InterCity or ScotRail -_- . Likewise the coaching stock is only blue and grey, InterCity, ScotRail or Post Office red and Mk1, Mk2 pressure vent, Mk2 air-con or Mk3 (with the occasional HST) :yawn:. Plus it's modelled on Scotland, probably not much interest for anyone after all. ;) ;)

I'll apologise for the lack of variety on the layout now. It's only diesels in large logo, plain blue, three tone grey, old railfreight, InterCity or ScotRail sleep.gif . Likewise the coaching stock is only blue and grey, InterCity, ScotRail or Post Office red and Mk1, Mk2 pressure vent, Mk2 air-con or Mk3 (with the occasional HST) :yawn:. Plus it's modelled on Scotland, probably not much interest for anyone after all. wink.gif wink.gif

You have forgotten to tell us the date of the layoutrolleyes.gif

You know me for dates Richard. I was really hoping to hit February 1988 on the head but as we've got a model of 43092 in executive livery (and it was in repainted swallow at Derby Loco Works that month) I've had to have some give and take. I could try for late December 1987 but 47593 hadn't been repainted InterCity until late January :rolleyes: , oh well at least I've narrowed it down to a couple of months!

You know me for dates Richard. I was really hoping to hit February 1988 on the head but as we've got a model of 43092 in executive livery (and it was in repainted swallow at Derby Loco Works that month) I've had to have some give and take. I could try for late December 1987 but 47593 hadn't been repainted InterCity until late January rolleyes.gif , oh well at least I've narrowed it down to a couple of months!

Don't the seagulls fly south for winter?biggrin.gif

Don't the seagulls fly south for winter?biggrin.gif

Only the arctic ones, ours find it warm enough to stay put. Check the RSPB website! :P

Winter has also given us the chance to have a light sprinkling of snow on Kirkhill and no leaves on the trees, it all adds to the variation.

Only the arctic ones, ours find it warm enough to stay put. Check the RSPB website! tongue.gif

Winter has also given us the chance to have a light sprinkling of snow on Kirkhill and no leaves on the trees, it all adds to the variation.

Are they Herring Gulls? Or is it extra strong glue?laugh.gif laugh.gif

Are they Herring Gulls? Or is it extra strong glue?laugh.gif laugh.gif

Nah, they're Great Black Backed Gulls - Herring Gulls have mid grey wings (and are about 2 mm shorter in OO). Here's a link to the relevant RSPB page, scroll to near the bottom and it shows they stick to the East Coast throughout the winter.

So for anyone looking for items of interest we now have the Wheel Lathe at one end of the layout and the Seagulls at the other. Plus the man walking his dog, the scrubbers, two sub-stations, four barrels of Shell Spirax HST Gearbox Oil and even the occasional train!

By the way, Glenn has worked out why his phone camera was taking blue tinted photos and corrected it. Expect some better photos of the Wheel Lathe to be posted on his previous post.