Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peco Bullhead Points: in the flesh

AJ427

I'd compare what Peco are doing with track with what the music industry done with vinyl records. People will replace their f/b track with b/h track like people replaced vinyl music with cd music. 

It looks good but I'll stick with building my own at the moment. If ever I build a new layout, I'll certainly consider the Peco b/h track. do they list insulated b/h fishplates yet?

• RMweb Gold

re. Unifrogs

I've just test laid a 4 new points and a bit of track for a new "Inglenook plus" layout. I used two wires clipped to the end of one siding with no frog power (no point motors yet)  and ran a Hornby 08 all over the thing with DC - I will be using DCC plus analogue Cobalts on the finished version. Highly delighted. Juice everywhere and very smooth.

Chris

• Like 2

I'd compare what Peco are doing with track with what the music industry done with vinyl records. People will replace their f/b track with b/h track like people replaced vinyl music with cd music. 

Still got my vinyl and Technics DD deck, sound is much better than a CD.

Seeing as vinyl is making its way back, does that mean in time you'll be ripping up your code 75 bullhead track for code 100 flat bottom?

• RMweb Gold
I see that the long crossing has Unifrogs. How would these be switched? a frog juicer perhaps? The existing code 75 FB has insulfrogs.

The unifrogs can be connected directly to the unifrogs on the turnouts linking to them. From opposite ends, like this:

unifrogs.png

So that they get switched at the same time. No extra switches needed.

Martin.

Yes I thought of that but if they are switched to the crossing road then they will short if a train travels through the crossing on the other route...However I suppose this is like driving into an incorrectly set point and therefore would require 'correct' route setting.....

Those image renditions in post 722 emphasize for me just how short the curved portion of rail will be in each slip, and therefore how tight the radius will be. I'm tempted to believe that with a bit of creative cheating the design could be tweaked to ease the curve a little more. I may well want a slip as part of a formation but it will have to be on a slight curve too, potentially exaggerating the tight radius in the Peco design as currently shown. I may end up building my own slip, which I fully expected to do anyway, not seriously daring to hope for any more than a simple R and L turnout in ready-made form.

• RMweb Gold

Yes I thought of that but if they are switched to the crossing road then they will short if a train travels through the crossing on the other route.

Hi Jeff,

If the road is set for the crossover road over the diamond, the signals won't clear for a train on the main line. If you don't trust your drivers to observe the signals, you could slave another relay across one of the point motors and have dead sections on the main line.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

I'm using these to re-lay the widened lines layout, so much better looking that the normal streamline track. The rail joiners are quite fiddly to line up, but are well worth the effort. 

These two are forming a loco release in the platform roads of Leadenhall market, I've trimmed them both to bring the tracks closer together. Track centres are now at 47mm.

Edited by simon b
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold
On 22/01/2018 at 23:51, gr.king said:

Some interesting staggered trimming of the moulded bases there. Do I see that the joints in the rails are in not always in the same places as the breaks in the bases?

Your spot on. 

I've removed the end sleeper from the diverging track on both points, then cut the outer rail between the 2nd and 3rd sleepers. This way the rail of one point slides into the chair of the other, and keeps the sleepers reasonably inline.

Not sure how prototypical the staggered joint is, but it looks pretty good in the flesh. 

Edited by simon b
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Yes I thought of that but if they are switched to the crossing road then they will short if a train travels through the crossing on the other route...However I suppose this is like driving into an incorrectly set point and therefore would require 'correct' route setting.....

Flank protection. Anything that forces us to better mimic the prototype must be good!

It's worth bearing in mind that it is less than 3 months since the turnouts hit the shops. They must have sold exceptionally well for Peco to be announcing this level of investment so soon afterwards.

I wonder if there is anyone in Devon kicking themselves for not doing this years ago?

Martin.

Martin

I think the marketing department had seen from the beginning the potential of a sales boom from their existing customer base from the off, with thew large radius turnouts being the obvious spring board

It looks good but I'll stick with building my own at the moment. If ever I build a new layout, I'll certainly consider the Peco b/h track. do they list insulated b/h fishplates yet?

I suggested this right at the beginning of an earlier thread, think how much profit there is if only 1% of their customers change over, plus its a premium priced item to boot

Slips?  Yes please! 

Reading that they're also looking at medium radius and curved turnouts- good news indeed. 

I think this was on the drawing board all the time, with the R & D well on its way, as not only using the strike while the iron is hot saying, but a high percentage of potential customers may be waiting for a range or the commitment to produce a range

My one and only reservation is the use of equalised timbering rather than the square to the straight road we are used to, will this be continued through the range ?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

@ #744: My one and only reservation is the use of equalised timbering rather than the square to the straight road we are used to, will this be continued through the range ?

#722 should answer your question for the slips, if the illustrations are accurate representations of the finished article. Yes the timbering looks like it will be equalised, so no different to existing FB streamline crossovers then.

I hope any future turnouts are also equalised, it does not make sense to deliberately introduce inconsistencies across the range.

Phil

Edited by Chamby

I was taking some photos of the new bullhead turnouts for our website this morning and took this comparison shot of Peco's large right hand OO/HO products.
From top to bottom - Bullhead, Code 75 "Finescale", Code 100.

post-9373-0-28926600-1516813062_thumb.jpg

I also took this photo of the different packaging - why the extra large size for the Bullhead turnouts Peco? This adds to the cost of shipping - at least here in Canada.

post-9373-0-20618400-1516813076_thumb.jpg

Steve

Model Railway Imports
Canada

• RMweb Premium

I was taking some photos of the new bullhead turnouts for our website this morning and took this comparison shot of Peco's large right hand OO/HO products.

From top to bottom - Bullhead, Code 75 "Finescale", Code 100.

attachicon.gifLarge-RH-Comparison.jpg

I also took this photo of the different packaging - why the extra large size for the Bullhead turnouts Peco? This adds to the cost of shipping - at least here in Canada.

attachicon.gifPackage-Comparison.jpg

Steve

Model Railway Imports

Canada

And why the switch from perfectly good environmentally friendly cardboard packaging to more problematic plastic? Wholly unnecessary.

• RMweb Gold

And why the switch from perfectly good environmentally friendly cardboard packaging to more problematic plastic? Wholly unnecessary.

We all prefer the environmental solution, I hope. But is it quite as durable in the arduous conditions of product transit and storage? Damp and very cold warehouses etc come to mind. And the retailer still wants the product to arrive in your hands looking pristine.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

From reading the thread the rails aren't as firmly held in the chairs as the flat bottom rail to it's mounts so that may help explain it? And perhaps the pack is designed to be a one size fits all for later additions to avoid having multiple pack sizes?