New announcement?

JohnR

• RMweb Gold

What? The Southern actually attempted to consider something that actually might MOVE a freight train?

To be fair, the Urie mixed traffic 4-6-0s were very good fast freight movers, as good as anything else in the country when they were introduced and better than most.  But i know what you mean...

• Like 1

I think the curious thing is why are they suddenly announcing something 2 days before Warley?

I wonder if they are going to announce something that someone else was already going to announce?

Adams Radial and Class 71's again?

Luke

Hattons don't have stand at Warley so if they do suspect a Radial situation again, they want you to pre-order before Warley. Whatever it is, I would wait till Saturday to make sure no ones going to announce a possibly better one at Warley.

What? The Southern actually attempted to consider something that actually might MOVE a freight train?

That cant be right.

I was reading it in Bradley, apparabtly the cme proposed a 4-6-2 2-6-4 for the west of English line from Basingstoke to Exeter and they would have been the biggest engines ever to run in the UK. The order was approved by the board and Beyer Peacock was asked to enter a quote and then the whole thing just faded. I like to imagine one pounding through Honiton on the ACE!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Another industrial loco would be nice.......

Yes it would, though Ruston and Hornsby would be my choice, well actually a choice of two. The 88DS would be the choice of the head with a range of BR departmental liveries available as well as the usual industrial variants, the 48DS the choice of the heart as it's just so appealing and gives a choice of cab styles. I could see either of these two (perhaps the 48DS more so) getting modellers to put in industrial connections/sidings to justify their appearnce in much the same way as the Hornby Pecket opened the nations wallets.

Edited by Neil

I was reading it in Bradley, apparabtly the cme proposed a 4-6-2 2-6-4 for the west of English line from Basingstoke to Exeter and they would have been the biggest engines ever to run in the UK. .......

Oh! IF only Bullied had got hold of that loco, imagine the monstrosity he would have designed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm going to hazard a guess that it won't be a competitor with their current models in production. So it would be very unlike the Barclay or P Class.

Although if these are going well for Hatton's on preorders something small and industrial, and complementary, might appeal as a good bet?

Here's hoping!

All the best,

Keith

• RMweb Gold

That cant be right.

It would have been some beast, but wasn't intended solely for freight traffic.

The Southern had different commercial priorities to the northern lines and their freight trains had to be light enough to pick up their heels so as not to hold up their more important passenger traffic. Moving wasn't usually the issue, who else had an 0-6-0 with a class 5F power rating*? Unfortunately, the Q1s weren't as good at stopping.

The opposite applied, I gather, to the Lancashire & Yorkshire, which is said to have regarded passenger traffic as an infernal nuisance that took up paths they could have used more profitably for additional coal trains.

John

* (there were a few, J19/20/39) 

Edited by Dunsignalling

It would have been some

The opposite applied, I gather, to the Lancashire & Yorkshire, which is said to have regarded passenger traffic as an infernal nuisance that took up paths they could have used more profitably for additional coal trains.

John

Apparently the railways in Canada still use the same system.

• RMweb Gold

John

when it came to going north from manchester to the Pennines there was no shortage of routes.. To get to Rochdale there was three routes via Bury (Bradley fold, Clifton or Heaton Park), plus Oldham and Castleton.

It certainly believed in a redundant network.. at least two ways to get everywhere.