Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Protecting the kitchen worktop

Good evening RMWebbers,

Apologies if this has been asked before, a search of the forum turned up nothing.

My modelling area is the breakfast bar in our kitchen. It has recently acquired a new top at SWMBO’s expense. In order for me to contnue its use I need to protect it from solvents, paints, glues and hot work. What do you use in such a situation? Note that the protection cannot be permanent as I only get “possession” in the evenings and Saturday afternoons!

TIA

Tim T

Good evening RMWebbers,

Apologies if this has been asked before, a search of the forum turned up nothing.

My modelling area is the breakfast bar in our kitchen. It has recently acquired a new top at SWMBO’s expense. In order for me to contnue its use I need to protect it from solvents, paints, glues and hot work. What do you use in such a situation? Note that the protection cannot be permanent as I only get “possession” in the evenings and Saturday afternoons!

TIA

Tim T

I not sure getting you protection for the worktop is the right solution .....!

But to answer your question , a piece of plate glass , if the area isn't too big is ideal , unless you do hammering etc , a cheaper alternative would be a shaped piece of 12mm ply, but ply sides on that extend down to cover the worktop sides and also serves to anchor it in place

Oil cloth is of little use against certain solvents or heat and has a tendency to slide around

Edited by Junctionmad

• RMweb Premium

Oil cloth is of little use against certain solvents or heat and has a tendency to slide around

I was presuming that the OP would have a cutting mat and all the other bumf that we modellers use. I have to say that I just use an A4 cutting mat on top of oil cloth, and, touch wood, have never had a problem...

Andy G

edit:

A sheet of formica is the real thing, virtually indestructible, heat proof and solvents just run off. But its horses for courses. A sheet of tufnol would work just as well....

Edited by uax6

When I lived in my 1 bed flat I had a piece of MDF cut to the width of my breakfast bar/workstation, it had some beading around the edge to stop anything rolling off and a bit on the underside at the front to brace it against the worktop, worked a treat, I used to like working there as the fluorescent light was far better to work under than anything I had at the time.

Steve.

As Chris P Bacon said felt or rubber stoppers on the underside, but also I have a rail at the front on the underside to stop the board slipping forward. It also means you have a clear front edge, if for any reason you are working on a model where it overhangs.

Khris

I use 3mm hardboard sheet from B&Q. It’s about 2’ wide and that’s just right. It’s only for painting so don’t need to sit under it etc. The ceramic hob has a length of 3”c2 cut into 5 supports and an elevated bit of board mounted on it. The spray booth fits on this under the extractor fan,

It all dismantles easily.

You won’t be shocked to learn I live alone.

Edited by Crantock

• RMweb Gold

I use a 4' x 2' sheet of hardboard on our breakfast bar and have never damaged it despite "somebody" telling me I would. I was rather amused (not) the other day when "somebody" was opening some false nail glue and dolloped some on the kitchen worktop. Still trying to work out how to remove it without damaging the surface.

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Premium

Our club meets in a church hall and we cover their tables with thick cardboard. If I’m doing something messy I use my Humbrol workstation too.

I would also suggest having something to stop bottles of glue, tins of paint etc getting knocked over. You can make holders by drilling holes in a block of wood, although I now use a purpose made device bought cheaply at an exhibition, its simply a block of foam with holes in lt.

What did you use previously on the old kitchen worktop? Surely you must have used something to protect that, even if it wasn't new?

SWMBO wasn't worried about the old work top. It came with the house and was a terrible tiled one, impossible to keep clean

Tim T

• RMweb Gold

What are you putting underneath it to protect the worktop from micro scratches?, which was the original question, hence my suggestion of a non slip mat.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

What are you putting underneath it to protect the worktop from micro scratches?, which was the original question, hence my suggestion of a non slip mat.

Mike.

Like wot e sed.

All worktop (inc stone/granite) scratches so you'll need to put something on the underside. If you don't, within a short period of time you'll have a very dull area where the workstation is used.

• RMweb Gold

For those still looking for ideas, I bought a couple of potting trays when reduced at Aldi. Possibly a bit large, but they have proved useful.

This sort of thing

http://www.longacres.co.uk/gardening-products/plantpotscontainers/pots/stewart-garden-potting-tray-and-shelf-black-4310005/?gclid=CjwKCAiAsejRBRB3EiwAZft7sBkysDTvwovM-EYnA5xnUKEq4XOqTCSuy21SNZ0WwS72yRkpBkexXxoCFIMQAvD_BwE

I agree that suitable protection for the worktop is essential whatever you use.

Dave