Bachmann review of outstanding models

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Jason, I think the point (or certainly mine at least) is that this thread is about the video linked in the first post, and therefore it would be sensible to watch the video before chipping in.  

He's dead right you know. I fell into that trap.

Who will be first to make working windscreen wipers

;-)

Marklin.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97674-marklins-new-tgv-have-they-over-done-it/

For those too young to remember this:

http://www.diecastinvestor.com/shop/manufacturer/corgi/corgi-247-mercedes-benz-600-pullman-2/

As a six year old, I can remember my excitement when I saw it in the catalogue. Even more vivid is the disappointment when I got one and saw how unconvincing those wipers were.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Guest Q663389

Great to see the progress of the E1/J72. Looking forward for its release! :locomotive:

The sample, which presumably is based upon NELPG's J72 shows evidence of details of a preserved loco, not a BR one. The piping on the smoke box is the give away.

Alan

I’ve just had a thought. Not painful, before anyone suggests it was :). I wonder if Bachmann has got wind of a Hornby parallel-boiler Scot tricked out in the new Hornby LMS red and much closer to completion. Probably not. I’ll admit I’d rather have a 91 with a train of Mk. IV stuff. If Hornby adopts an East Coast theme this year, what else might appear? A “proper” P2 perhaps, with, I hope, a much sounder mechanism and chassis?

As for Bachmann, a Thompson Pacific perhaps, to appeal to people with a morbid fascination? Not long now.

Jason, I think the point (or certainly mine at least) is that this thread is about the video linked in the first post, and therefore it would be sensible to watch the video before chipping in.  We all miss random bits half way down threads, but if you don't want to watch the video I'm not sure what the point of continuing down the topic was...

I often don't bother with video links, but it was interesting so I'm glad I did on this occasion.

Nope. I got jumped on because I didn't understand about the "rotating buffers".

I've not seen that in any specifications for the model or even knew the prototype had them. I thought it was another rant against having sprung buffers which is quite common. I even had agrees on my post, so others must have had the same opinion. The fact that the poster I was replying to was complaining about every other aspect of the model should also be taken into account.

Even if I watched the video then I would have been none the wiser about "rotating buffers". Hey I even acknowledged that point about three pages back in post #50...

I even added a bit of humour, but some on here are so one dimensional they don't get sarcasm...

Jason

or one of the 0-6-0 classes, quite possibly one that really did work in GWR territory which would help broaden sales a bit.

Nowt like hedging your bets Mike.  :smile_mini:  Perm any one from four? or may be five running round Worcester. Would that add up to Forty?

I myself am all at sixes and sevens because I'm need I'm needing a Pee.

P

• Like 1

... the appeal of Swindon locomotives to North Eastern enthusiasts being no doubt just as important a factor in the manufacturers' equations.

Nonetheless, appeal outside its home patch is hopefully a factor in decisions. I suspect the B16 of having been the most likely NER lcoomotive to be seen working outside the former NER area frm 1923 onwards. A very useful engine.

J25's also worked on GWR metals during the Second World War when the Dean Goods went off to France and the Middle East, a useful chassis to have as it would also fit the J26 and J27 - without checking, potentially same as the J72?

Edited by Tin Turtle

J25's also worked on GWR metals during the Second World War when the Dean Goods went off to France and the Middle East, a useful chassis to have as it would also fit the J26 and J27 - without checking, potentially same as the J72?

J72 = 6'8" x 7'0"

J21/5/6/7 = 8'0" x 8'6"

• RMweb Premium

C/P1/P2/P3 (J21, J25-J27) 8'0"+8'6" - taking a leaf out of Derby's book. Hum... with the J25's low-pitched boiler, could pave the way towards a 2F or even an outside-framed Kirtley engine...

E (J71) 6'6"+7'2"; E1 (J72) 6'8"+7'0".

Apologies to Porcy Mane, who evidently knows this by heart or perhaps has his NER bookshelf nearer to hand!

BTW, the Dean Goods has the same wheelbase as several LNWR 0-6-0 classes - but do we want to let Oxford loose in that direction?

EDIT x or +? Surely the total wheelbase is the sum not the product ;)

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Gold

C/P1/P2/P3 (J21, J25-J27) 8'0"+8'6" - taking a leaf out of Derby's book. Hum... with the J25's low-pitched boiler, could pave the way towards a 2F or even an outside-framed Kirtley engine...

E (J71) 6'6"+7'2"; E1 (J72) 6'8"+7'0".

Apologies to Porcy Mane, who evidently knows this by heart or perhaps has hos NER bookshelf nearer to hand!

ISTR a magazine article describing how to convert the Mainline J72 into a quite respectable ex-LSWR G6, in HO scale, but that's a whole other can of worms. :jester:

• Like 1

Nope. I got jumped on because I didn't understand about the "rotating buffers".

And you clearly hadn't wtached the video where this feature of the prototype was explained at some length before launching into an irrelevant rant about sprung buffers. 

Apologies to Porcy Mane, who evidently knows this by heart or perhaps has his NER bookshelf nearer to hand!

No need. To update the old adage, "Many a crossed post filed in haste". :smile_mini: 

No bookshelves, just a number of chassis on the bench in front of me.

EDIT x or +? Surely the total wheelbase is the sum not the product ;)

Maths notation. Never a strong point. :sorry_mini:

• Like 2

... with the J25's low-pitched boiler, could pave the way towards a 2F or even an outside-framed Kirtley engine...

What with the C class having a small round topped boiler with the centre pitched 7'6" above rail (my guess) Bach may already be there with a suitable mechanism layout for 2F.. The Derby (MR) and Ramsbottom (LNWR) six coupled wheelbase lengths were the dominant UK choices for 0-6-0 and much else. The last Derby wheelbase 0-6-0 to be put into service was by the chief mould breaker himself : Mr OVS Bulleid's Q1. How unexpectedly conventional of him.

• Like 2

What with the C class having a small round topped boiler with the centre pitched 7'6" above rail (my guess) Bach may already be there with a suitable mechanism layout for 2F.. The Derby (MR) and Ramsbottom (LNWR) six coupled wheelbase lengths were the dominant UK choices for 0-6-0 and much else. The last Derby wheelbase 0-6-0 to be put into service was by the chief mould breaker himself : Mr OVS Bulleid's Q1. How unexpectedly conventional of him.

The MR 3F motor is too high to go in a MR 2F. A Chassis for a 2F shows how much lower the motor is compared with a 3F...

post-6680-0-32892300-1515182808_thumb.jpg

MR 2F and 3F nose to nose...

post-6680-0-59820900-1515182806_thumb.jpg

Portrait of a 2F.  It makes for a very attractive model....

post-6680-0-88470300-1515182809_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Do you mean the Bachmann SECR C there? I don't have the info - does that also have 8'0"+8'6" wheelbase? There are any number of Class C 0-6-0s, off the top of my head:

T.W. Wordsell's for the North Eastern Railway, originally two-cylinder compounds, later J21;

Matthew Holmes' for the North British Railway, later J36;

and Wainwright's (really James Clayton's) for the South Eastern & Chatham.

It's also an odd coincidence how many Class V's are 4-4-0s!