Hornby 2018 - the full announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Not necessarily. This approach has worked for Kernow’s models procured direct from China, but presumably procurement here is via Hornby, so the Ts and Cs wil be different.

This is different - in this case their website is showing just that, a standard discount on the RRP in the same way they do for main range models. Just in this case the model concerned is their own limited edition...

Edited by brushman47544

So I'm really pleased to see Colas 67023 announced. I will have two of these, one to renumber to 027. 

I will also have the NR DVT from Kernow and possibly the GWR 153 also from Kernow.

Is the GWR 153 a Limited Edition from Kernow?

• RMweb Premium

Now you're absolutely 100% certain on that?   :wink_mini:

attachicon.gifToad'B'14.jpg

4033713403_b0d7435478_b.jpgTyne Dock Railway by Sunderland Public Libraries, on Flickr

Some did, some didn't, and who's to say down the years, both sides ended up the same. Hornby will just have to be careful with their number selection.

P

Thank you for taking the time to post those images. I stand corrected. Number 140422 on page 317 of LNER wagons Vol 4B has narrow planks which I failed to spot, looks like I have to go drilling some more holes!

The van in the first picture is in nice condition for its age.  At first glance it could pass as a toad A but the high position of the top foot board is what's confusing because it hides the bottom of the steel sole bar! 

Anyway Hornby are on to a winner.

Regards Shaun

• Like 2

I, like many others, have been hoping for some years for a single chimney 'Castle' with a Collett tender with late insignia and while I've said on several occasions what a gap that had been in their suite of 'Castles' (various) over the years I don't think my dummy has gone over the side of the pram and a little bit of adult discussion and research from a couple of us to give Hornby a nudge has produced what we have long been looking for complete with  a very acceptable running number.  The watchwords are I believe patience and gently pushing things along - that will, if successful, hopefully eventually get a result although that won't always happen of course - the good thing is that sometimes it might. Shouting the odds from virtual rooftops definitely won't get anywhere as the  process quickly becomes a big turn off.

The single chimney Castle with a Collett tender and late BR crest was a surprising and well observed omission, given all the Castles produced so far. So too, to me, is the single chimney Castle with Collett tender and GREAT <arms> WESTERN lettering which we've not seen since the very beginning with Tintagel Castle, many of which were a bit wonky with poor QA.

I am assuming the modeled details are compatible with other Castles that ran with a Collett tender - I believe the modeled Castle is not consistent with some of the earliest Castles built.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

It's the additional cost of packaging and selling them as two separate items.

It attracts all the overheads of packaging, logistics (transportation, warehousing, distribution), marketing and sales, twice over.

e.g. A loco retailing at £150. Two of the same would cost £300. Package them in one box as a set and they could reasonably sell the pair for much less, let's say £230, £240 or so.

The £399 is an error/typo, I've checked that with Hornby as it seemed somewhat excessive for two cars :O

You're forgetting several factors here. The same thing separated into two boxes now takes up a lot more space, so less product can be shipped in the same space, possibly as much as a factor of 50%. So shipping costs could be up to double what they would be straight off. Two separate box sleeves need to be prepared (so that cost could be doubled), two separate boxes need to go through QC etc. That all happens at the factory end, and will multiply up through the various steps. Handling costs all the way through are doubled. It's not like you are pouring what would be a packet of cornflakes into two half sized boxes.

Some fair points made in regards to the prices. And thanks to Simon for confirming that the £399 price tag was an error! I would hazard a guess that it was meant to be £299?

I'll put my pitchfork away.

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

Again though I wonder how manufacturers decide on loco number. We have had 87019 before with the original Lima BR blue model. Theres 35 x 87/0's to choose from so why they didn't go for a number that's not been done before is a mystery to me. 87033 holds a special place for me which would be great to see one day.

Psychological, cuckoo effect.

Many people don’t like duplicate numbers on run of the mill liveries. Repeating a number of an older competitor means your more likely to buy the new one and push the old one out of the nest.

If they did a different number, you’ll buy the new one, and are possibly inclined to keep the older one too for variation.

So when they release another number later, you look at your layout and see two models, and are less likely to buy a third.

But if they’ve already forced one from the nest, and see a new number and you only have one... you possibly might find room for another and hence two sales.

For the same reason you’ll often see less popular liveries done first.. the “must haves” will buy anything, and the desirable one later... hence two sales.

Another good one is over cooking the desirable number/livery.. sticking a sound chip, adding passengers or only making it with trainsets etc and track are good ways of grabbing extra pounds of revenue...

The Blue Pullman could be a good way of forcing Dynamis into the marketplace for example, bachmanns customer isn’t you or me.. it’s the retailer, if they know the retailer is more likely to split the controller out to sell the Pullman, that leaves more Dynamis controllers in the market place, and as such retailers are less likely to buy other brands of DCC controllers until the stock of Dynamis ex-sets is worn down, and the share of the market place for DCC controllers moves in Bachmanns favour.

If you breakdown the £900 Pullman using only RRP it becomes quite attractive..

Dynamis £299

2x sound chips £200

That leaves a 6 car Pullman at £400

Even if they were to discount.. £200 for the controller, £175 for the chips I reckon they could easily sell the Pullman at £500 and achieve a high margin on the sale.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

I have not seen a mention of the Pumpherston tank wagon.

This with other recent offerings makes a Scottish Oil Shale layout a possibility in RTR. Now who would have thought that even a year ago.

J36 for the national system and the Barclay for the works and mines. A rake of these new tanks and a toad and PO or 16 tonners, depending on period, and away you go.

What load could a J36 handle? I have seen photographs of some mineral trains that must load to around 30 wagons.

Bernard

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This was a much better set of announcements than I was expecting given their financial situation. The blue air smoothed MN is a must have, as is the Lord Nelson in Southern colours and probably at least one BR version. The Maunsell kitchen/dining car is as surprising as it is welcome, finally a Southern catering vehicle. I was slightly surprised by the streamlined Princess Coronation but I guess it makes sense to research and develop both the streamlined un=streamlined versions. The GWR IEP interests me too as for all the adverse comment around them I think they're good looking trains and I love GWR livery.

• Like 1

Having skimmed through the red/blue pages got me thinking -

1. RM web (bers) are perhaps 5% of the target customer base,

2. Who are probably die hards and 95% committed to their chosen modelling subject/period.

For me, some of the more interesting new items come from the retailer/supplier relationships and the smaller suppliers

i.e. SLW, Oxford, 2H, 4-TC, Beilhack, 47/7, crowdfunded 74, RHTT etc

I wonder if we, as a more opinionated group, should look for marginal items from the dedicated retailers.

And Bachmann are updating 3 or 4 DMUS. What is it the Diesel Electric fans want.

Personally; I'd rather have new models than updated ones! Will get annoying and expensive if I want to replace some for newer ones. The old ones are very easy to upgrade to a nice standard anyway and it feels a tad unnecessary.

Guest Model.Maker

Personally; I'd rather have new models than updated ones! Will get annoying and expensive if I want to replace some for newer ones. The old ones are very easy to upgrade to a nice standard anyway and it feels a tad unnecessary.

The majority of customers want just to plonk the model on the track and play away, not everyone wants, nor has the capability, to upgrade the existing tooling to the latest standards.

Personally I think its a good thing the older models are being revisited, properly.

• RMweb Premium

I'd have preferred a full fat BR Hall to the Castle and Grange but I guess you can never have too many GW 4-6-0's even if Capt Kernow seems to be switching allegiance to the flatlands in the east......

Especially when one of the Granges is exactly the same as it’s previous release. R3452 Llanvair Grange is being released in BR Late Crest, Small Tender, exactly the same as previous release R2786.

• RMweb Premium

As a modern image modeller I was underwhelmed by both the Bachmann & Hornby announcements. However, I've just ordered the Kernow 153 GWR unit which will be my only purchase from this years announcements. The company I work for did the repainting of these units at Long Marston last year so this will be a nice addition to my collection.

Disappointed though that Kernow have corrected the pricing from this morning when I looked at it, therefore costing me £16 more this evening :(

• RMweb Gold

Is the SECR wagon based on a particular diagram or is it generic?

As ever, generic, it's their normal 3-plank finished in SECR livery.

You aren't likely to get proper SECR wagons r-t-r because they had funny wheelbases that no (dangerous generalisation) other railways used.

However, this one does seem to have the upgraded underframe and metal buffers that Hornby haven't said anything about.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

As ever, generic, it's their normal 3-plank finished in SECR livery.

You aren't likely to get proper SECR wagons r-t-r because they had funny wheelbases that no other railways used.

However, this one does seem to have the upgraded underframe and metal buffers that Hornby haven't said anything about.

John

Which is a shame as the livery is nicely done - unlike the rather strange GW liveried version; as far as I'm aware the GW didn't go in for 3-plank dropside wagons at all. The number, 34920, belongs to a fixed-sided 3-plank wagon from the 1880s. Perhaps this is Hornby's version of a 1904 red-to-grey transitional livery? I'm mystified why the NE version had black ironwork too. 

There are company-owned wagons for which this model may well pass (in the dusk, with a light behind her) - notably the Midland D305, though with both-side brakes it's better suited to LMS condition - which gives a couple of livery options. There's also the S&DJR clone of this, though I was recently reminded that the S&DJR goods wagon fleet was divided between the LSWR and the Midland in 1914. It's the right size for the NB version too - although the livery wasn't quite there.

(And why the rounded tops to the end pillars?)