RMweb

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

If you let me know which Coach and what year (approximately, I'll gladly search my info for you.

PM me if you'd rather.

Phil

Thanks.  It's the BR(S) 2-set, a diag 2123 BSK and diag 2405 BCK.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Phatbob said:

Thanks.  It's the BR(S) 2-set, a diag 2123 BSK and diag 2405 BCK.

I'll see if I can find out, however there are others far more knowledgeable than myself such as Mr Muzz and Dunsignalling (John). Is it the Green Pair I assume Bob? Just confirm exactly what you need to know please?

Phil

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I'd hope to get TWO carriages for that price !  🤭

It is getting quite expensive isn't it. However, that is going to be the future I am afraid. 

I feel sorry for (say) Student and younger Modellers that don't have much income, or someone with a lot more outgoings due to the present financial situation. I am really lucky to have had a full working life of nearly 50 years and benefitted (?) from  lower wage careers in Public Service most of the time, but with a reasonably good Pension. Something that many more recent employees no longer receive.

Phil

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

It is getting quite expensive isn't it. However, that is going to be the future I am afraid. 

I feel sorry for (say) Student and younger Modellers that don't have much income, or someone with a lot more outgoings due to the present financial situation. I am really lucky to have had a full working life of nearly 50 years and benefitted (?) from  lower wage careers in Public Service most of the time, but with a reasonably good Pension. Something that many more recent employees no longer receive.

Phil

Though the good thing about modelling the ex-LSWR lines in the West Country is that if you set your layout far enough along the Withered Arm, one of these 2-sets, a Hornby 59' Bulleid 3-set, or a LW Maunsell "Torrington Set"; coupled to an air-smoothed WC, or maybe a Bachmann N, can be your Atlantic Coast Express. 

Where else could you accurately model a crack named train so economically?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I'll see if I can find out, however there are others far more knowledgeable than myself such as Mr Muzz and Dunsignalling (John). Is it the Green Pair I assume Bob? Just confirm exactly what you need to know please?

Phil

Yep.  The BR(S) green pair.  The detail pack comes with a second vacuum reservoir.  Do I need to glue it on, or just leave it in the goody bag?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

My order arrived this morning and the first thing I've done is check the couplings and all looks fine to me.

First picture is using Hunt Ultra Close magnetic couplings 

BH.jpg.c62a12123c48895d6ba7d2a7d1088fdc.jpg

Although I now use these in preference to the Roco couplings, here's another picture using these. Very slight gap here though 

BR.jpg.e87d5476e7070e80e398c3139c273e30.jpg

Edited by RFS
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Phatbob said:

Yep.  The BR(S) green pair.  The detail pack comes with a second vacuum reservoir.  Do I need to glue it on, or just leave it in the goody bag?

On checking my Mr. King, Southern Coaches, the later/modified Underframes (which I am sure these coaches had at this time), had two Vacuum Cylinders fitted. One each side almost opposite the Brake Vacuum Actuator, between that and the inside Bogie Axle (but on the opposite side remember).

It also says/shows that there were Battery Boxes each side but the Position Varies. Unless you have a picture of the actual Coach to check then Baccy should have got that correct, or as far as they could from their research.

I hope that helps and as you can only really see one side of the Coach at any one time then I'd not lose sleep over it personally, but it is nice to think you have it correct isn't it?

If you can find the instruction Sheet for a Comet Models (now Wizard) for this Coach it shows the positions for fitting.

All the best matey; I've just ordered mine before they get sold out and despite being a wee bit expensive, with Accurascale Banana Vans being nearly £30 each, I think they are bargains before China implodes and we get nothing from there again. 

Phil

P.S. I now wait for someone to tell me King is incorrect for this Coach! Waaaaa, who cares!

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

All the best matey; I've just ordered mine before they get sold out and despite being a wee bit expensive, with Accurascale Banana Vans being nearly £40 each, I think they are bargains before China implodes and we get nothing from there again. 

Phil

28 sheets each Ducky.😉

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Wickham Green too said:

Cylinders, tanks, actuators .......... AAAAAGH !!?!

I have no idea if those are the correct terms, I just made them up as I've not taken my Meds yet.🤪

Also it now shows how poor the original Baccy, Bulleid UFs were for detail and how I've done nothing about them for about 18 years plus! Yuch.

P

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

If you're in to automation and require resistor wheelsets, it's a doddle with these coaches (as with the Birdcage ones too). Just add resistor using the supplied screws!

RW.jpg.e8e20271a7bb9bdd5d1e9e32cc21a4fc.jpg

Edited by RFS
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Please could someone advise what the 2-car R sets would be marshalled in with when part of longer trains? The blood and custard pages are a really good resource but I've not managed to find the information I'm looking for. I've seen lots of references to how they can represent a branch-line portion of mainline trains. Would they be seen tagged onto the end of H or L sets? Or even in combination with 59' 3-car sets or formations of Maunsells/Mk1s?

Ideally I'd prefer a H set in BR Green, but as with those waiting for maroon Thompsons, who knows if and when we will see that, and who knows what the price of a single carriage will be by the time they appear.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Torn-on-the-platform said:

Please could someone advise what the 2-car R sets would be marshalled in with when part of longer trains? The blood and custard pages are a really good resource but I've not managed to find the information I'm looking for. I've seen lots of references to how they can represent a branch-line portion of mainline trains. Would they be seen tagged onto the end of H or L sets? Or even in combination with 59' 3-car sets or formations of Maunsells/Mk1s?

Ideally I'd prefer a H set in BR Green, but as with those waiting for maroon Thompsons, who knows if and when we will see that, and who knows what the price of a single carriage will be by the time they appear.

What dates approx? Basically they could be put with anything in any order. I've got WTTs for 1958 then through 1960/1/2, mainly Summer Timetables. I have decent Train Formations if you'd like them Summer SO mainly but some for Weekdays and Sundays.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
Add some info.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

33 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

What dates approx? Basically they could be put with anything in any order. I've got WTTs for 1958 then through 1960/1/2, mainly Summer Timetables. I have decent Train Formations if you'd like them Summer SO mainly but some for Weekdays and Sundays.

Phil

Thanks Phil! My layout is BR(s) but I'm pretty much one of those rule one people. I do like my trains to at least 'look right' though. So what I'm really asking is what could set 69 (or identical sets) in BR(s) green realistically be coupled to?

• RMweb Premium

I'm presuming, and I could be wrong here, that this set 69 could be in any formation that went to the West of England, most likely beyond Exeter. In terms of actual other sets likely to be in such formations, I'd need to consult the Excel list as per https://sremg.org.uk/coach/sets.html, and Mike King's book on Southern Coaches.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1