• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 45568 said:

I, (and I know several others), am still waiting for maroon Thompsons! I purchased a couple of c/cream examples and very nice they are, but by the late 1950's maroon was the norm.

Similarly, with these Bulleids, as I understand it C/Cream was fairly uncommon on SR stock, so I will require green examples. With protracted delivery times at the moment, when that will be is anyone's guess!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

As front line express stock (at the time) Bulleid coaches would have received priority for the latest livery and most would have received it by 1956, when the new regional liveries were authorised.

AIUI they were all in BR(S) green by the end of 1958.

John

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Now look here Mr and Mrs Baccy at Barwell, this idiot is willing to purchase up to 10 D2406 Bulleids in GREEN, (BRSR Green),  and 2 Us, so get a ###### shift on dear hearts. I'm running out of time, Body Parts and Organs, so come on.

Sincerely,

Phil

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

I’m now running all 5 c&c behind blue MN 35024. Firstly,they are smooth runners…but check ( as I’m sure you do ) that all axles are seated properly….one needed resetting. They are substantially heavy.And they look good. 
Running as “set 847” btw..Correct or not,they add a touch of class and we’ve waited years for these.  Will shortly add some green uns of whatever shade… 

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Adding text
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Now look here Mr and Mrs Baccy at Barwell, this idiot is willing to purchase up to 10 D2406 Bulleids in GREEN, (BRSR Green),  and 2 Us, so get a ###### shift on dear hearts. I'm running out of time, Body Parts and Organs, so come on.

Sincerely,

Phil

Time ? ? You think you’ve got problems 😳 ?  Last of the big spenders talking….

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Time ? ? You think you’ve got problems 😳 ?  Last of the big spenders talking….

Bless you Ian. I know you have recently been 'reminded'. Thus even more important that Mr and Mrs B @ B get a grip....yea.

P

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Running as “set 847” btw..Correct or not, they add a touch of class 

847 was 4005, 75, 5865, 76, 4006, which is I think exactly what Bachmann have made. Being built in 6/50 they would undoubtedly have been in C&C from new and until 1956 at least. 35024 lost its blue livery and reappeared in green 15/6/51, so there was a year when your train was entirely possible. 

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

847 was 4005, 75, 5865, 76, 4006, which is I think exactly what Bachmann have made. Being built in 6/50 they would undoubtedly have been in C&C from new and until 1956 at least. 35024 lost its blue livery and reappeared in green 15/6/51, so there was a year when your train was entirely possible. 

1951….Festival of Britain year. Train spotting at Waterloo in between visits to the South Bank and Battersea Fun Fair….and Alfred The Great on the Belle.The Royal Wessex was introduced that year too but with c&c Mk 1’s.Thanks for dating it for me.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Set 847 was C&C from 28th April 1950 to September 1957 according to Blood and Custard.

..... However I think there is a problem with that page as it states set 790 (the Bachmann SR Green coaches) is an SWD 'L' set that worked 'London - Dover - Ramsgate – Margate services'. Is that right? The various excel spreadsheets on SR coach sets available, say they were used on Weymouth and WoE services.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

Set 847 was C&C from 28th April 1950 to September 1957 according to Blood and Custard.

..... However I think there is a problem with that page as it states set 790 (the Bachmann SR Green coaches) is an SWD 'L' set that worked 'London - Dover - Ramsgate – Margate services'. Is that right? The various excel spreadsheets on SR coach sets available, say they were used on Weymouth and WoE services.

Mike King ("Southern Coaches") says the 770-793 sets were all used on Waterloo - Weymouth and Waterloo - W of E services. But that was from new. When Mk1s came on stream, some cascading of older stock might be expected. 

• Informative/Useful 2

Early bus into town this morning to collect a 2-Set (R) in BR(S) green from my local model shop.  I am very pleased with the overall quality of both coaches, (Semi Open Brake Third and Brake Composite).

The shop owner asked if I would be back for more and was told yes, as soon as Bachmann produce a Diagram 2406 loose Brake Composite and a 3-Set (L), (BT/CK/ BT), all in BR(S) green.

• Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bude_branch said:

Early bus into town this morning to collect a 2-Set (R) in BR(S) green from my local model shop.  I am very pleased with the overall quality of both coaches, (Semi Open Brake Third and Brake Composite).

The shop owner asked if I would be back for more and was told yes, as soon as Bachmann produce a Diagram 2406 loose Brake Composite and a 3-Set (L), (BT/CK/ BT), all in BR(S) green.

Nice to know they've  landed.

Looking forward to receiving my pair from our friends west of the Tamar in due course.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bude_branch said:

I've just had an e-mail from Grimy Times in Warrington (my very local model shop) that my BR(S) green 2-set has arrived.  I'd also love two or three of diag. 2406 BCKs,  a 3-set L and 5-set H if Bachmann were to produce them in BR(S) green.  So come on Bachmann, get 'em ordered from the factory! :-)

• Like 1

On 18/10/2022 at 11:54, Ian Hargrave said:

I’m now running all 5 c&c behind blue MN 35024. Firstly,they are smooth runners…but check ( as I’m sure you do ) that all axles are seated properly….one needed resetting. They are substantially heavy.And they look good. 
Running as “set 847” btw..Correct or not,they add a touch of class and we’ve waited years for these.  Will shortly add some green uns of whatever shade… 

I hope to be able to folow your example soon as I also have 35024.  My question is  how can you get inside to add passengers?   I assume that there is no internal lightring fitted-

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GeoffBird said:

I hope to be able to folow your example soon as I also have 35024.  My question is  how can you get inside to add passengers?   I assume that there is no internal lightring fitted-

Pickups present for lighting but instruction sheet offers no guidance for internal fitting.And I possess neither the eyesight nor dexterity to attempt it,sorry.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Rising Standards said:

My 5-set arrived today, and a quick test with Roco close couplings on 2 of them resulted in a gap in corridor connections. I'm wondering whether a (very slightly) shorter coupling might be better. Has anyone got any suggestions or tried anything else on them yet?

Oh!  That's not very encouraging.  I've not had a play with mine yet, but I'll report back what I find.  In the meantime, have you tried the coupling bars that they are supplied with?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rising Standards said:

My 5-set arrived today, and a quick test with Roco close couplings on 2 of them resulted in a gap in corridor connections. I'm wondering whether a (very slightly) shorter coupling might be better. Has anyone got any suggestions or tried anything else on them yet?

Any chance of a pic?

• RMweb Gold
On 18/10/2022 at 12:18, stovepipe said:

However I think there is a problem with that page as it states set 790 (the Bachmann SR Green coaches) is an SWD 'L' set that worked 'London - Dover - Ramsgate – Margate services'. Is that right? The various excel spreadsheets on SR coach sets available, say they were used on Weymouth and WoE services.

The CWN for summer 1962 has all of the Bulleid L sets working on Waterloo WoE.  K sets were 3 coach Mk1s. 537-551 on the Ramsgate workings, the remainder on the Weymouth run.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rising Standards said:

Do you mean the real Roco couplings or the Hornby lookalike which is slightly longer? My order is due to arrive in a couple of days. Rails have put up a very good image on their website which shows where the NEM pocket is. I can see it is further back on these compared with the Hornby Maunsells. I have assumed from that that the Roco couplings would be too short.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

The CWN for summer 1962 has all of the Bulleid L sets working on Waterloo WoE.  K sets were 3 coach Mk1s. 537-551 on the Ramsgate workings, the remainder on the Weymouth run.

Thanks for that. Your note caused me to look up the 1952 CWN, and I spotted that Bulleid 'L' 3-set 788 is noted as carrying Plum and Spilt Milk livery. An interesting future option for Bachmann perhaps...

I believe 788 worked with the other P&SM liveried set - Bulleid 'G' Set 299, but this included the RF and Kitchen vehicle, which have not been tooled.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RFS said:

Do you mean the real Roco couplings or the Hornby lookalike which is slightly longer? My order is due to arrive in a couple of days. Rails have put up a very good image on their website which shows where the NEM pocket is. I can see it is further back on these compared with the Hornby Maunsells. I have assumed from that that the Roco couplings would be too short.

If so then one Roco and one Hornby may well do the job (its a tactic I have used with Hornbys LMS Stainer and GWR Collett / Hawksworth stock)

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, RFS said:

Do you mean the real Roco couplings or the Hornby lookalike which is slightly longer?

The genuine Roco slightly grey ones. The longer Hornby ones would give a larger gap. In fairness the Roco ones might be OK on track, but it looked like under tension the coaches could pull apart slightly. I'm yet to try the bars provided, but my coaches live in their boxes so they're not a long term solution. I'm away until Sunday now but I'll try and get some photos then.

4 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

If so then one Roco and one Hornby may well do the job (its a tactic I have used with Hornbys LMS Stanier and GWR Collett / Hawksworth stock)

I do the same on my GWR stock - I presumed my LMS ones would need the same, but they're not close coupled yet as that would involve fitting the extended corridor connections.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Rising Standards said:

The genuine Roco slightly grey ones. The longer Hornby ones would give a larger gap. In fairness the Roco ones might be OK on track, but it looked like under tension the coaches could pull apart slightly. I'm yet to try the bars provided, but my coaches live in their boxes so they're not a long term solution. I'm away until Sunday now but I'll try and get some photos then.

It would be useful to know the size of the gap and whether it increases under traction on straight track. If the latter occurs, it's necessary to fit even shorter couplers, but that removes any ability for the coaches to auto-couple.

If no shorter coupler can be obtained, an answer might be to remove material from the front of the pocket and glue the Roco coupler heads in place.

Easier, if the gap is only a couple of millimetres would be to stick a small block of grey foam into one of the gangways and plug it into the other when bringing the coaches together. That must be long enough not to pop out when the gap increases on curves so needs to be under compression initially. 

When my coaches arrive, I might come up with more ideas.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1