• RMweb Gold

Just for awareness - I ordered the 5-set from Rails of Sheffield along with the 3 green BR ones. As I hadn't received my 5-set I called them and found they were waiting for the green ones to come into stock. They offered to split the order for me, so the 5-set is on its way, with the green ones to follow in the next week or so. 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, RFS said:

Just for awareness - I ordered the 5-set from Rails of Sheffield along with the 3 green BR ones. As I hadn't received my 5-set I called them and found they were waiting for the green ones to come into stock. They offered to split the order for me, so the 5-set is on its way, with the green ones to follow in the next week or so. 

Found that out from Rails yesterday, when I phoned to check my credit card, as this order pre dates all my current cards, from Jan 2018. They advised that as the green ones are expected imminently, they are holding the c&c ones for those who also ordered green versions, to combine the dispatch and save postage. As the dance hall brake vans are also expected with the green bulleids, they are going to try and combine that for me as well.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Rising Standards said:

My 5-set arrived today, and a quick test with Roco close couplings on 2 of them resulted in a gap in corridor connections. I'm wondering whether a (very slightly) shorter coupling might be better. Has anyone got any suggestions or tried anything else on them yet?

Fleischmann Profi couplings maybe ?

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Rising Standards said:

My 5-set arrived today, and a quick test with Roco close couplings on 2 of them resulted in a gap in corridor connections. I'm wondering whether a (very slightly) shorter coupling might be better. Has anyone got any suggestions or tried anything else on them yet?

Hunts magnetic; check the length and type that would suit. 

Phil

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Fleischmann Profi couplings maybe ?

AFAIK, whilst application of the standards between (and sometimes within) UK brands is somewhat variable, all continental CCUs are fully NEM compliant.

That being the case, a pair of Fleischmann coupler heads, should be the same length as a pair of Rocos. 

John

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Hunts magnetic; check the length and type that would suit. 

Phil

AIUI, the shortest Hunts are the same effective length as a pair of Roco coupler heads.

I still use the latter, but a mate who switched didn't need to adjust anything.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

A little surprised that the two coaches that go together to make the 2-set R 69 are sold separately. No mention in the blurb on retailers' pages that they go together. Was half expecting Bachmann to sell on a 2 coach pack...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 2ManySpams said:

A little surprised that the two coaches that go together to make the 2-set R 69 are sold separately. No mention in the blurb on retailers' pages that they go together. Was half expecting Bachmann to sell on a 2 coach pack...

Agreed, but Hornby did the same with their 59' Bulleids, which also ran in uniform sets.

I don't really see the sense of it.

John

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

AIUI, the shortest Hunts are the same effective length as a pair of Roco coupler heads.

I still use the latter, but a mate who switched didn't need to adjust anything.

John

I've done the same for all my Hornby Bulleids and Maunsells. The Hunt "Ultra Close" is an exact match for the Roco. For the Hornby version of the Roco (R8220), the Hunt "close" coupling is an exact match for these and I've fitted them all to my Bachmann MK1s. These need the stepped version because the NEM pocket is too high.  Note that the Hunt "buck-eye" close coupling is longer and results in an air-gap, as does their "MK1/MK2/Pullman" close coupling. 

Looking at the side-on picture of the new Bulleid on the Rails site, it seems to me the NEM pocket is set further back than on the Hornby Maunsells. I'm therefore surprised that the Roco coupling fits at all, let alone shows an air gap so I'll wait and see when my order arrives. 

Bull.jpg.1695ba655812fd3b21125864d357aca1.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

While most people in this thread will be well aware of the Southern's strict adherence to sets and their fixed formations, used offers on ebay reveal many buyers have no qualms about, among other odd ideas, mixing BCKs into sets other than 2-sets. And I suppose the ramping of prices these days means that even a 2-set is going to be at least £150+ at a discounting dealer's price. Not long ago we could buy a 2-car EMU for less than that. Selling as singles may ensure maximum take-up. 

I bought rather a lot of BSL/Phoenix Bulleids on ebay at a knockdown price some years ago. They include, in C&C, the BCK from Set 75, but the matching BTK is from 861. Renumber it, you say? When each coach bears the signature of Larry Goddard? Perversely, my haul also included a correctly-numbered Set 75 in BR green!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

While most people in this thread will be well aware of the Southern's strict adherence to sets and their fixed formations, used offers on ebay reveal many buyers have no qualms about, among other odd ideas, mixing BCKs into sets other than 2-sets. And I suppose the ramping of prices these days means that even a 2-set is going to be at least £150+ at a discounting dealer's price. Not long ago we could buy a 2-car EMU for less than that. Selling as singles may ensure maximum take-up. 

I bought rather a lot of BSL/Phoenix Bulleids on ebay at a knockdown price some years ago. They include, in C&C, the BCK from Set 75, but the matching BTK is from 861. Renumber it, you say? When each coach bears the signature of Larry Goddard? Perversely, my haul also included a correctly-numbered Set 75 in BR green!

Typical discount price for a pair of these is coming in around £130, including carriage, but I get your point. However, we've all had years to save up for them with an expectation they'd be pricy. 

I do wonder, though, if the mix-and-match brigade are even going to look at coaches costing over £60 a go after discounting. Won't they be looking for something cheaper, possibly from Hornby, though they are rapidly catching up.

For those who just want one green coach, there are stacks of Hornby 59' Bulleid BSKs to be had, though the composites seem to be unobtainable. A consequence of the Rule One mob making up (incorrect) long sets, perhaps?

All that said, we may be trying to attribute logic to people who don't necessarily apply it to their purchasing. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Round of applause 1

My set 847 was picked up from Paul at Alton models today. They are looking very nice and I decided to stick to it running as a 3, also managed to find further justification for the SR green L set as well as the 2R set I already had planned on getting. They also come with some very nice instructions about fitting the detail parts 

IMG_20221021_144436.jpg.b0de474bc5cba5a20175283392affdf7.jpg

cheers IMG_20221021_144903.jpg.0a5de1ae9fbb8e5a82fe466e9e7cb605.jpg

I've sold off one of my old tooling sets recently but still have one left so will see how they compare side by side. 

Cheers 

Pete 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, PeteN92 said:

My set 847 was picked up from Paul at Alton models today. They are looking very nice and I decided to stick to it running as a 3, also managed to find further justification for the SR green L set as well as the 2R set I already had planned on getting. They also come with some very nice instructions about fitting the detail parts 

IMG_20221021_144436.jpg.b0de474bc5cba5a20175283392affdf7.jpg

cheers IMG_20221021_144903.jpg.0a5de1ae9fbb8e5a82fe466e9e7cb605.jpg

I've sold off one of my old tooling sets recently but still have one left so will see how they compare side by side. 

Cheers 

Pete 

Ooooooof; tasty Set.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Phatbob said:

On the subject of the detailing packs, how does one know whether a particular coach needs the second vacuum reservoir adding or not?

If you don't know, surely it doesn't matter!?!

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Phatbob said:

It matters because at the next exhibition they'll be some smart-@rse who does know.

;-)

Assuming said smart-arse actually knows any more than you do (not always so), then you will too.

More seriously, because it's supplied for user fitting, I presume either that the tanks are appropriate to SR or BR-built Bulleids but not both, or were a later addition.

No idea which without wading through the books.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Phatbob said:

It matters because at the next exhibition they'll be some smart-@rse who does know.

;-)

..... and the response - "Oh, really?" (in a couldn't-care-less, what a sad-o tone of voice).😉

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phatbob said:

On the subject of the detailing packs, how does one know whether a particular coach needs the second vacuum reservoir adding or not?

If you let me know which Coach and what year (approximately, I'll gladly search my info for you.

PM me if you'd rather.

Phil

• Round of applause 1