D&S Models

Rumblestripe

• RMweb Premium
On 23/07/2023 at 13:10, hayfield said:

http://londonroadmodels.com/index.php

Sadly I cannot open the rolling stock page (work in progress?) or a couple of others but well worth checking

Click on the tab that drops down when you click on "Rolling Stock" or whatever on the bar on the homepage.

On a personal note, and I'm sure several others are in the same boat, I hope the range of NER carriages finds a new home when Dan eventually decides to take a well earned rest. I know a good number of his wagons have found their way to 51L models making them much easier to aquire via Wizard Models (no connection other than as a satisfied, and much poorer as a result, customer!)

The arc roofed vehicles would be particularly handy for the recently released G5, as indeed would the clerestiories.

I do keep meaning to send off for the latest price list, but I always seem to think about it when the cash flow is low, and I don't want to waste Dan's time if I'm not going to be making a purchase or two.

Cheers

J

• Like 2

Speaking to Dan Pinnock yesterday he still is able to supply his 4mm GER/LNER kits, just write to him (with SAE) for details. Same address as shown on catalogues.

Paul

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 26/07/2023 at 03:32, PaulG said:

Speaking to Dan Pinnock yesterday he still is able to supply his 4mm GER/LNER kits, just write to him (with SAE) for details. Same address as shown on catalogues.

Paul

Mmm, suppose I'll have to inquire to a few UK friends again, if he isnt big on phone calls based on what, well, didnt happen last year. 

Edited by SomethingTrainLover

On 26/07/2023 at 08:32, PaulG said:

Paul

If anyone does gets a response from him?, please post on here !!.  He has had two seperate  s.a.e's from me, for about ten years !!

• Informative/Useful 1

On 23/07/2023 at 14:25, jwealleans said:

It's also worth remembering that when Danny stopped producing 4mm kits after Sylvia passed away, many of the whitemetal ones were sold to ABS.   Most of them never reappeared.   As that range has been acquired and there is an intention to return it to market we may see some of the kits reappear via that route.

While I can’t comment on the whole range transferred to ABS, I know that the GWR W2 medium cattle wagon appeared in ABS form as did the GW AA16 outside framed brake van - because I bought them from Arian while he was still trading.

As can been seen in the ABS thread work to get the 4mm range back into production is ongoing and that does include many exD & S white metal wagon kits but not the etched brass NPCS or coaches which did not as I understand it go to ABS).

DrDuncan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Only Dan can comment authoritatively now Adrian is no longer with us, but based on what I've been able to buy from Dan in the last few years, he kept the etched kits and also some of the GN and GC cast kits.   The majority of the GC kits went to the GCRS, but the GC fish van is still with Dan (I assume for sentimental reasons as it was the first wagon kit he did).   He has also reissued cast GN brake van kits on one occasion.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

I think to say that would be very unfair.   Dan has had to deal with a great many personal problems in the last few years but he still tries to be accommodating.   Clearly that isn't always practical.

I have withdrawn my post and apologise. I suppose, then, that if different people appear to have had different experiences it will be because they have tried contacting Dan at different periods, when circumstances were more or less favourable for him. One concludes that @micklner should try again.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/07/2023 at 19:39, SomethingTrainLover said:

Mmm, suppose I'll have to inquire to a few UK friends again, if he isnt big on phone calls based on what, well, didnt happen last year. 

Will say to follow, friend was able to get in contact with him and Dan, thankfully, was able to piece me together a 4mm Wisbech kit, which was sent off to another friend who's stockpiling stuff to ship to me eventually lol. 

• Like 5

Dan came over to see my Colchester layout last Saturday,  and seamed in good health.

20230819_200915.jpg.0d802c30e07816a9341b86447a6173db.jpg

He brought and left "on loan"  a 4mm Shildon crane and took away one of his crane kits, which he has offered to make for me. However, he didn't offer to also build some of his GER carriage kits, I also had in the drawer.😅

Certainly he has retained all the GER/LNER East Anglia 4mm kits. He commented that his signalling items (all ??) went to Wizard and he did make a comment about other 4mm items being disposed of, but sorry, I don't remember the details.

Paul

• Like 18

Dan also kindly built last month for me, the Colchester breakdown train Tool Van 961515 (ex LD&ECR (GCR) 51842), a 6-wheel, 34’ brake third, built Ashbury 1896, converted 10/1945, withdrawn 8/11/1958, from "various kits and bits" he had.

20230814_141637.jpg.57c6c0405efb0e929cc9419aa30b8ee4.jpg

This is a "colourised" photo of the carriage at Stratford after withdrawal. 

IMG-20210626-WA0009.jpg.7fde12adeded2c7eda00fba597acba5b.jpg

• Like 15

• 4 months later...

New to the thread here!

I know a lot of Dan's 4mm kits have been passed off to 51L and London Road Models, but does anyone know the status of his 4mm N.E.R. kits? I am not sure if he is still holding onto those toolings or has given it to someone else yet.

Cheers, Julien.

If they're etched, he probably still has them.  He's done a few runs of NER carriages in recent years.

If they're cast and not with 51L then they most likely went to ABS and into a black hole.   The range is being revived but I feel for the new owner, it's not going to be easy.

Was there anything specific you were interested in?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much for the information!

I primarily wanted to build the clerestory coaches, autocoaches, and vans. Nothing too specific since I'm pretty flexible with what I model or anything that's available at the moment, it just had to be North Eastern. If there's an updated catalogue of his 4mm products, that would be much appreciated! 

I did want to model the Stores van, however I am told that Dan has not done that in a very long time. 

Does he still take phone calls? He has one listed on his catalogue. 

Cheers, Julien. 

He might take a call but an SAE is probably his preferred method of communicating.    Based on what I've heard from others in the last few months, you might be in luck if you ask for a list.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I phoned him yesterday morning, and we had a lovely chat together.

I enquired him about his 4mm N.E.R. kits, and he still produces them. However, he does not really keep track of his inventory, so he will have to get back to me at a later point with a list. I did ask if he could check what was remaining in his entire stock, but he asked me to narrow it down to what I really wanted.

I ended up just listing every N.E.R. clerestory coach to not make him go through the effort of having to search his ENTIRE inventory. He did tell me that he is no longer doing the 'luggage compo' due to the tooling wearing out, which is indeed a shame. I'll update this thread when he sends me the list of that in the near future. 

I did ask about his contingency plan on his range, and he mentioned that several people have reached out to him to purchase it in the past. However, none of them were able to bargain for a good price, saying that he thought his range was valued much higher than what was offered. I do hope that he'll reach an agreement of some sort in the future. It would be a terrible loss for his range to disappear forever. 

Overall, I'm just glad that he's still making kits for everyone to enjoy! 

Cheers, Julien.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 6

Me again! Just had a phone call with him again with a few updates on what he currently has in his inventory. 

He confirmed that he still produces the N.E.R. autocoaches (elliptical and clerestory). I also enquired about the N.E.R. Stores Van, and he did mention that he had some spares and possibly still the toolings to do it, it's just that no one has requested that in a while. 

He also has in stock the Wisbech and Upwell coaches pack, consisting of a 4-wheeler and an 8-wheeler. 

Hope this is of use to any of you seeking for said items! 

Cheers, Julien.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• 4 weeks later...