Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Snow with you?

Phil Bullock

Apparently the biggest issue with condenser boilers at the moment is the outlet water pipe freezing over, leading to a safety cut out.

This is a plastic pipe running outside the house into a soak away, and gently running boiling water from a kettle down it is the remedy....

By coincidence I was talking today to a friend in SE London who has just had the same problem and solved it the same way - a large icicle emerged from the pipe and the boiler then worked OK. Hot air will do the same job so either use a hair drier or paint stripper (but very carefully at a safe distance from the pipe) or get a government spokesperson to talk near to it. I've used that technique (with a useful applicance rather than a politician) to unfreeze pipes that could only be reached from below so not suitable for the hot water (which does't have to be dangerously hot if you use plenty of it)  treatment. 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The thaw is getting underway now. The biggest problem is possible freezing overnight. The snow has had a remarkable effect on the neighbours, with people stopping to say hello, and pass the time. We've done our 'good Samaritan' bit, and dug out the neighbours path, and gritted it. Visibility is good, at about 3/4 mile, and the gritters are keeping the M4, at a very respectable 60-odd mph. Some people up the valleys are posting photos of FaceAche of drifts with 8-9 feet. I'm staying right here.... Tea? Yes please!

However, keep safe folks!

Ian.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

By coincidence I was talking today to a friend in SE London who has just had the same problem and solved it the same way - a large icicle emerged from the pipe and the boiler then worked OK. Hot air will do the same job so either use a hair drier or paint stripper (but very carefully at a safe distance from the pipe) or get a government spokesperson to talk near to it. I've used that technique (with a useful applicance rather than a politician) to unfreeze pipes that could only be reached from below so not suitable for the hot water (which does't have to be dangerously hot if you use plenty of it)  treatment. 

If you are having this trouble, keep a note of it. Wait for warmer weather, and get your local plumber to alter your boiler D2 pipework. There should be a clear fall from your boiler down to the covered drain. If your plumber asks "What's D2 pipework?" get another plumber. The building Regulations are quite hot on this sort of thing.

HTH.

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

there is no snow whatsoever in crewe today, however im on snowplough duties up in buxton and itswhite over here, just done a run from chinley to peak forest into buxton and then were off to hazel grove, back to buxton then hindlow! and back to peak forest all being well

there were some serious icicles in the peak forest tunnel, so much so they have dented the class 56 cab even at the low speed we were doing

its days like this when i enjoy doing my job!

• Like 11

While we’re on central heating: what malaise is indicated when a small-bore pressurised system suffers frequent over and under-pressure?

I’ve had to fiddle around with the pressure in ours several times recently, when normally it is stable, within tolerance, for months on end.

I’m wondering if there is air in the system.

there is no snow whatsoever in crewe today, however im on snowplough duties up in buxton and itswhite over here, just done a run from chinley to peak forest into buxton and then were off to hazel grove, back to buxton then hindlow! and back to peak forest all being well

there were some serious icicles in the peak forest tunnel, so much so they have dented the class 56 cab even at the low speed we were doing

its days like this when i enjoy doing my job!

Apparently the steam special with Galatea had to run slowly through Cowburn tunnel for the same reason. Lost nearly 20 mins between Chinley and Earles Sidings acc to realtimetrains.

Meanwhile, this didn't happen at Rotherham, but they were only 10 mins apart!

post-6971-0-43335000-1520092589.jpg

My photoshop skills aren't quite up to making the exhaust from Oliver Cromwell blend convincingly in front of Galatea's train. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

A57 Snake Pass half a mile East of Glossop about 2pm today. Between two and four feet of frozen snowdrift across the road.

post-9767-0-44317900-1520093766_thumb.jpg

People are still driving past the Closed sign and round the cones thinking they can get to Sheffield, I turned two back about 100 yards below that lower drift and on the way down we were passed by a Sheffield taxi.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

People are still driving past the Closed sign and round the cones thinking they can get to Sheffield, I turned two back about 100 yards below that lower drift and on the way down we were passed by a Sheffield taxi.

Uber?

While we’re on central heating: what malaise is indicated when a small-bore pressurised system suffers frequent over and under-pressure?

I’ve had to fiddle around with the pressure in ours several times recently, when normally it is stable, within tolerance, for months on end.

It could be a faulty valve on the boiler, especially if there is no leak that you can see; but then the pressure would not go up on its own if there was a leak

• RMweb Gold

You will normally find air in the system, when it manifests itself as a 'cold' radiator, but quite hot in the lower portion. Most (but not all) boilers have an expansion vessel, where the diaphragm will take up expansion within the central heating circuit. Should the vessel fail, you should have a drop off in pressure, you will re-pressurise and restore to normal. However, the vessel is now unable to accept expansion, and the system will 'safely fail' by expelling the compressed water out of the boiler drain pipe.

A service will normally show this up.

HTH,

Ian.

Just hope when she finally  gets there, the ferry hasn't been cancelled (with memories of a trip of mine last October, just as a gale struck the Channel).

BBC News just reporting that the stuck traffic on the A31 is now a ‘critical incident’ and that the military are being called in. Hopefully safety and warmth will be on the way soon.

Updates on the A31 situation on https://twitter.com/search?q=hampshire+police&ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^search

Hope Sherry is alright.

Thank you to all of you for your concern and support when I was part of the A31 problem on Thursday night /Friday morning. Initially, I was very stressed but then became resigned to the possibility that I’d be there all night and made myself cosy enough to doze a little. It was nothing short of miracle when a snow plough somehow squeezed in alongside two lanes of vehicles to clear a track, down which we were able to crawl about an hour later.

After a couple of hours at Travelodge, I boarded the morning ferry where my cabin had never been more welcome, despite the choppy sea at first. Arriving at Ouistreham in sunshine felt like being on a different planet! Now I’m safely at Ian's, being thoroughly spoilt and happy to relax after my traumatic experience. I’m grateful that I was luckier than the poor souls on the A303.

Hope you’re all safe and warm.

• Like 4

There has been a very slow thaw in Bedford today.  Most of my car has reappeared and I can see what colour are the lids of my wheelie bins.  There is stil plenty of white stuff on the pavements and the road but it's a start.  Now wait for more to fall tonight ...

Chris

• Like 1

I don't know whether anybody else saw the newsclip this morning from the BBC?  A piece from the RAC regarding their call-outs these past couple of days?

I can't currently find hte link but......

It appear a significant percentage of the call-outs by the RAC were to folk ringing up because their screenwash was frozen!!

​My first reaction [and every subsequent one] was...wtf?

What has this driving world come to?     The RAC has got a very patient, naice patrol person to put out a video explaining what to do when one's screenwash has frozen!!  The first bit of advice was....to use proper prepared screenwash!!

Plain water simply will not do....especially down to minus 20!!

Never mind the snowflakes falling from the sky...there's a whole heap of snowflakes running around in cars, it seems!     :(

Do they not have any kind of emergency rescue plan, with a dedicated loco - let's say class 73 (anything that will move basically)? 

It is not as if Christchurch is in the middle of nowhere, miles from a depot. Can't the railway company be sued for negligence? 

What if someone had had a medical emergency and died? 

It would be presumptuous to say anything at this stage.

• RMweb Gold

Felt bold enough to drive to Tewkesbury this evening for our favourite Chinese take away....

A bit foggy and started snowing again on the way home!

But worth it for the best Singapore noodles around....

Phil

• Like 6

I don't know whether anybody else saw the newsclip this morning from the BBC?  A piece from the RAC regarding their call-outs these past couple of days?

I can't currently find hte link but......

It appear a significant percentage of the call-outs by the RAC were to folk ringing up because their screenwash was frozen!!

​My first reaction [and every subsequent one] was...wtf?

What has this driving world come to?     

It is today's "me first, second and third" selfish society I'm afraid. 

A friend of mine lives in deepest Northumberland, and says someone went into their Co-op a couple of days ago and bought 18 loaves of bread. 

Now the shelves are empty.

Now I suppose they might have been the proprietor of a large old folks care home, but these days I doubt it. 

The trouble here in South Cumbria is, if we get temperatures below mid 20's in March it can play havoc with the pineapple crop later on in the year. Of course the yams and mangos are a little more forgiving I'm glad to say. And don't get me started on the late banana harvest!

Guy