The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Snow with you?

Phil Bullock

Sky sports news reported earlier that the all-weather race meeting at Newcastle is cancelled due to the snow. Not quite ALL weather then, eh? :)

If ice is managing to form on all-weather surfaces, I don't think I'd want to be cantering and galloping on that.

We have had about another centimetre of powdery snow today in Weston, the previous fall having mostly melted.

Without wishing to upset folk who are suffering genuine problems with the weather some of the reporting makes me smile.

I am reminded that every time Kate Adie appeared on TV she was generally wearing a flak jacket and surrounded by bombs and bullets,

whereas today we have Jon Kay on our screens whenever it is a bit windy, or about to get a bit chilly!

cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVYhCBVKfW8

Jim

• RMweb Gold

It's been snowing properly here for about an hour. Where it's not being blown clear or drifting, it's built up by a good inch in that time and it seems to be getting heavier. 

This morning's forecast and warnings appear to be well-founded.

John

We're higher up here, so the Met Office forecast for us shows more snow tomorrow.

I’ve had a lot of experience of freezing rain over here, mostly when I lived on the Piedmont plateau in North Carolina. You can’t drive on solid ice, it brings down power lines (and even transmission towers), collapses roofs etc., etc.

Here’s an extreme example:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_1998_North_American_ice_storm

Snow is much easier to deal with.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

We are now getting powdery snow - the sort that can cause an avalanche.  So I am mulling over what anti-avalanche precautions I can take, staying indoors seems to be the best one.

I asked the Captain (Morgan, not Kernow) for advice. He suggested staying in and kindly agreed to keep me company............... 

John

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Falling fairly steadily now in Dorset and settling on the A350 despite traffic movements. 4x4 is going to come into its own as we live at the bottom of two steep hills.

SWMBO on her way home early and fortunately booked the day off tomorrow.

• RMweb Gold

Situation in my part of South Devon a few minutes ago. The wind is keeping up and blowing the snow all over the place:

attachicon.gif20180301_151028.jpg

Looks like about half what we've got so far.

The hill outside my place (not as steep as yours) is probably impassable by now without 4wd.

A VW Golf made it up about 20 minutes ago, but only just; 150 yards in nearly three minutes!

John

• RMweb Gold

OT. But does Captain Kernow know that one can make rather a nice sponge cake with beetroot?.

Thank you for that information.

That should be on a 'need to know' basis.

As such, I certainly do not need to know that and CTMK even less so, lest she decide to make one such abomination!  ;)

The Beeb lunchtime news made me smile. . .

The reporter, with the Gatesheed angel behind him, seemed to be freezing his bits off  . . .

and in the background a group a bairns on sledges having a cracking time.

Keep safe everybody.

John

• Like 2

Really think the Met office is copping out, I always use their rainfall radar as the best short term forecast but at the moment

Maps outage

Due to unprecedented levels of demand on our website we have temporarily replaced some of the less visited pages and unfortunately are currently unable to provide our usual weather and observation maps.

The one time you need it they drop the service!

Jim

Inside my barn this morning - strong easterly blowing very fine snow through Yorkshire boarding. Everything within 20' of that end had a covering.IMG_1380.jpgStill better than the 6" - 8" outside.

Ooh, Matron!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Plenty of cars passed me heading east along the A57 towards the Snake Pass this afternoon. The same lot passed me heading west a few minutes later after they got as far as Glossop Golf Course and found the locals re-enacting the Winter Olympics down the middle of the road. The powdery snow was being propelled off the fairway by the wind funneling between Kinder and Bleaklow straight across the road.

The Mountain Rescue have been up on Woodhead to rescue a lorry driver who was stranded there last night. Probably the eejit who overtook me on the inside when I was in free-fall coming down Mottram Moor.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Gold

We had no snow at all in Exeter yesterday, but it was blowing powdery stuff all morning and got proper heavy after lunchtime. Took well over 1½ hours to drive 8 miles home. Probably 4-5 inches lying now but not that windy, so can't class it as a blizzard. Yet....

Edited by Ramblin Rich

• RMweb Gold

Well I’m off on snow plough duties later, 97s crewe to Aberystwyth and back to shrewsbury

Unfortunately they are removing the beilhack ploughs they are currently attached to doing a run to Buxton so I’ve got to use the miniature ploughs instead

Been looking at webcams for aber and Mach and it doesn’t seem too bad down there at the mo

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Went out yesterday morning. No snow, Sun shining and then 2 miles down the road a whiteout and lo and behold there was this geezer in sunglasses driving an MG TC with the hood down coming the other way. His appearance was shall we say, quite amusing!

• Like 4

Here in Bedford the buses were running this morning but I have not been out since 11 am and I have no plans to do so.  There have been several flurries since then and in the street are lots of oddly shaped lumps with cars underneath them.

Chris