The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Snow with you?

Phil Bullock

We have had about another centimetre of powdery snow today in Weston, the previous fall having mostly melted.

Without wishing to upset folk who are suffering genuine problems with the weather some of the reporting makes me smile.

I am reminded that every time Kate Adie appeared on TV she was generally wearing a flak jacket and surrounded by bombs and bullets,

whereas today we have Jon Kay on our screens whenever it is a bit windy, or about to get a bit chilly!

cheers

Something of a running joke with my drinking partner and I. Folks at home being told what they already know by some berk who pulled the short straw in the news office.

Bit to camera usually starts with "I'm here..."

Better is if news anchor starts with "So Peter, what's the situation where you are?"

"Fricking cold!" would be my immediate retort on this occasion, which is possibly why my news reporting career hasn't taken off.

C6T.

• Like 4

Starting to get thicker here in East Somerset. Already put work on alert that I may not get in tomorrow. Supposed to get worse overnight, so I'll have a look at 4am.

post-15-0-70200900-1519924742_thumb.jpg

Well I’m off on snow plough duties later, 97s crewe to Aberystwyth and back to shrewsbury

Unfortunately they are removing the beilhack ploughs they are currently attached to doing a run to Buxton so I’ve got to use the miniature ploughs instead

Been looking at webcams for aber and Mach and it doesn’t seem too bad down there at the mo

Mixture of excitement and trepidation? Take your big coat and a flask!

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to it, shame they will have taken the beilhacks off though!

3 layers of clothes and a big flask in the go!

Shame they don’t need the whole lot to portmadog doing (with a conductor)

Full moon tonight so camera and tripod at the ready too

Edited by big jim
  • Like 12

Caught the 05:54 ex Chippenham to Padd this morning, got there ok but station was like skating rink. Sure enough they closed it 40 mins later... Luckily reopened now and back home all ok. Phew!!!

Have come to this a bit late. Yesterday just north of Norwich I measured 5.5 inches in our drive. Reports, backed up by photos, gave 10 inches in Hethersett 6 miles west of Norwich. Further flurries today and in our drive it is less deep due to ablation in the dry air and compaction but the wind has increased to such an extent that roads all over Norfolk and Suffolk are blocked due to drifting off the fields where hedges have over the years been dug out. Suffolk County Council used to put up snow fences on the A140 south to Ipswich in the 1990s but don't do so now - it's the cuts.

Mixture of excitement and trepidation? Take your big coat and a flask!

I was always told to take the 4 S's when driving in the snow. 

Shovel, Sleeping bag, Sarnies, Soup (flask of). 

• Like 1

Well I’m off on snow plough duties later, 97s crewe to Aberystwyth and back to shrewsbury

Unfortunately they are removing the beilhack ploughs they are currently attached to doing a run to Buxton so I’ve got to use the miniature ploughs instead

Been looking at webcams for aber and Mach and it doesn’t seem too bad down there at the mo

DRS currently doing the same I suspect with a 'plough shod Tractor on the GEML, belted down thru Needham earlier and just heard one depart Stow northbound just now.

Anglia used to run a light 86 in the morning as an OLE icicle breaker, no idea if similar happens nowadays.

C6T.

• RMweb Gold

Falling much heavier here now. Average depth approaching six inches but drifted to over double that against steps one side of my place.

Looks and feels like Boxing Day 1962 out there.......The snow is very fine, soft and sticky - fills up tyre (and wellie) treads instantly.

White Korean SUV abandoned just in front of the house - first car to attempt the knap in 2 hours. Driver only 1/4 mile from home reckons he'll be back to fetch it tomorrow.

The way things are progressing, I reckon he might struggle to FIND it tomorrow. :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Starting to get thicker here in East Somerset. Already put work on alert that I may not get in tomorrow. Supposed to get worse overnight, so I'll have a look at 4am.

attachicon.gif20180301_161513_resized.jpg

Depends which of those vehicles is yours, I know which I'd rather climb a snowdrift in...

Overlarge lump on driveway this morning, sort of Volvo Estate sized snow buried vehicle when it should have been Fiesta sized, so it definitely was by foot to work. The news came through today that Highways England have diverted all grit to keeping main roads open. As for minor roads and pavements.....Tomorrow and Saturday could be interesting.

Been snowing heavily since about 4:00pm. Sent all the staff home before that though.  Just been out giving banking assistance to some drivers who obviously have not read Kevin's excellent advice earlier in this thread on climbing hills in the snow! (A note to the drivers stuck behind - blowing your horn does not help - you will get going faster if you come and help push.)

Anyway, here is a picture of my lone daffodil.

post-31802-0-25598300-1519927001_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Depends which of those vehicles is yours, I know which I'd rather climb a snowdrift in...

There's only one of those vehicles I'd attempt to climb a snowdrift in........

Just heard a biggish 4-stroke quad come out of the junction just down from my place and head down the hill - probably about the best thing to be using if you really have to be out.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Our self employed Heaton (Newcastle) son has had a H&S assignment down at Didcot this week ...

"Better for us to share the drive (in his elderly C max Focus), we'll have a better chance of making the gig" he insisted....

Have heard since that they nearly reached the Oxford turn off the M1 at Northampton past Silverstone before hearing the assignment had been cancelled and turned back for home.

He has a valuable 3 day assignment in Aberdeen next week till Thursday. Now he is wondering whether the ECML HST can be depended upon by then for the trip .

Difficult times if you are not an octogenarian retiree free to play trains in your slippers

dh

• RMweb Gold

Sherry left Torquay just after 11 for the normally-4-hour drive to Portsmouth, where she has an overnight before catching the Caen ferry in the morning. Last heard of 30 mins ago, still on A31 in the New Forest. This is gonna be one tired lady when she gets to Travelodge!

It reached middle England today.

Snowed for about six hours, and forecast another six hours overnight, but although it is exceedingly unpleasant outside, because of the strong wind, the depth of snow overall isn’t very great. It’s a very fine sort of snow that drifts easily. About a foot by the back gate, but none at all a few yards away.

Took 90 minutes to make a 25 minute journey home, because the roads are very slippery, and everyone is driving very cautiously.

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

No further snow this morning, but lots this afternoon, and currently there is so much snow in the air it is reflecting all of the sodium lighting causing a very strange orange glow (The nearest street light is 1/2 mile away).

Some people still felt that they didn't need lights on despite the conditions. Thankfully I didn't need to drive about today as work was closed.

post-163-0-27620700-1519932176_thumb.jpg

Snow does look great on plants however.  

post-163-0-35551300-1519932154_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-33928100-1519932219_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-39123900-1519932240_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Inside my barn this morning - strong easterly blowing very fine snow through Yorkshire boarding. Everything within 20' of that end had a covering.

IMG_1380.jpg

Still better than the 6" - 8" outside.

I know that Yorkshire weather can be rough, but the wind blowing the bonnet right off   :scared:

• RMweb Gold

Sherry left Torquay just after 11 for the normally-4-hour drive to Portsmouth, where she has an overnight before catching the Caen ferry in the morning. Last heard of 30 mins ago, still on A31 in the New Forest. This is gonna be one tired lady when she gets to Travelodge!

And is still on the A31 150 mins later, still trying to get to the M27. Has moved a few metres in the last hour. 

And is still on the A31 150 mins later, still trying to get to the M27. Has moved a few metres in the last hour.

Seems to be bad in Hampshire, one of the guys who works for me took 2.5 hours to get from Chandlers Ford to central Southampton..