Bachmann 2 EPB

Summer_Saturday

• RMweb Gold

.....marvellous.....drove over to Faversham this morning for my monthly bout of retail therapy at the HobbyShop and returned home to be welcomed by an e:mail from Harvey announcing the the first 2-EPB (presumably the blue one) had arrived in the shop 10 minutes after I left :rolleyes: ....ah well, something to look forward to next month :yahoo: ...

Keith

.....marvellous.....drove over to Faversham this morning for my monthly bout of retail therapy at the HobbyShop and returned home to be welcomed by an e:mail from Harvey announcing the the first 2-EPB (presumably the blue one) had arrived in the shop 10 minutes after I left ....ah well, something to look forward to next month

Yes, it's the blue one -- mine are apparently in the post.

Paul

Yes, it's the blue one -- mine are apparently in the post.

Paul

Yup. Just got the message from Big H, In Liverpool.

31-375 is on it's way, to a very good home.

The last time I felt like this, was when I picked up a Hornby Dublo SR EMU boxed set from a seller feller in Wimborne Market, many moons ago.

That thing could, and still can, haul, at least, 10 x HD S/D trailers, albeit with the aid of traction tyres.

Many thanks Mssrs. Bachmann & Hatton, for helping on old duffer re-live his youth :good_mini:

• RMweb Premium

I can confirm that the sample shown at Derby and the production items only have the black triangle at the correct end. I'll advise on the internal compartments in due course.

Thanks Andy, and others. Hattons has now uploaded pictures of the actual model, which shows that internal compartment walls are included. It looks superb, so I have ordered one before the price rise advised for this evening.

• RMweb Premium

I bought mine from H's at their £78 price to avoid their rises later on tonight.

My main reason for buying the 2EPB was because its DTS has the right roof detail to form the centre coach of a 3T DEMU, when Bachmann/Kernow eventually release their Hampshire unit.

Main mods to the DTS, if formed as a centre coach, are no 3rd rail shoes, double arrow logos and unit number painted out, and after works attention, painting the yellow cab end blue. The interior was also modified with extra luggage space.

The only issue may be that the bogie at the cab end hasn't got a conductive coupling so there won't be full lighting throughout the unit in 3-car form.

In the meantime my unit will spend its time performing branch line duties.

At the risk of adding a "me too"" sort of post, I got mine from my friendly local retailer (cheers D&F!) at lunchtime and I'm delighted with it. The printing on the cab ends is superb, and the central buffer touches nicely. As far as I can tell on the rolling road, it runs well too.

In Andy's review thread he mentions the roof conduits as being moulded on - i had been handling it with kid gloves because at first glance I thought they were separate wire!.

Got mine from Hattons today - it's SUPERB...........

except the motor coach is numbered 77xxx (a trailer) and the trailer is numbered 65xxx (a motor coach)

D'oh :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yep...Unit 5764 car numbers should be swopped.

Oooh Dear....After all that effort....Talk about a ha'pth of tar.

Thanks for pointing this out, Southernman46, I was too busy dribbling.

Now....When Hornby were informed, that their new Maunsell's corridor handrails were printed too high, they provided the concerned customers with replacements.

I wonder if Bachmann are willing to do the same ?

Here we go, again.:banghead:

• RMweb Gold

Almost off-topic. Over a barbecue on the terrace, and after a few sips of wine, Deb and I exchanged news on our respective fora. Hers is France Forum, where they discuss health issues, tax issues - and what French men do abroad, particularly New York! I explained the conversation Southernman46 and I had enjoyed, in the context of what Andy Y has now exposed as a really good model of a 2-EPB. "A 2-EPB?" she said incredulously "Next they'll be wanting a 4-VEP!" I believe not every RMWebber might have got that response from his wife of 37 years!

Yep...Unit 5764 car numbers should be swopped.

Oooh Dear....After all that effort....Talk about a ha'pth of tar.

Thanks for pointing this out, Southernman46, I was too busy dribbling.

Now....When Hornby were informed, that their new Maunsell's corridor handrails were printed too high, they provided the concerned customers with replacements.

I wonder if Bachmann are willing to do the same ?

Here we go, again.:banghead:

Is this for the blue EPB ??

Since I will be renumbering one of my two blue units anyway, I may have to look at doing both to correct that error! Still, how many people actually read those coach numbers while the unit is running on your layout anyway??? ;)

having highlighted the error - I'm certainly not going to let it bother me - I sure it was an mistake one Friday afternoon by the C&W painting team at Eastleigh works ;)

I'm just slightly shocked with myself for knowing far too much about SR EMU coach numbering off the top of my head than is really healthy for me :laugh:

I'm impressed that Mrs Oldudders knowing what an 4-VEP is........ I do remember some years ago being very impressed by EastWestdivide's mum knowing what a "Spamcan" was. My own dear lady (despite being a Rail Management Engineer for NR and technically in the global "railway family") is singularly unimpressed by my hobby - "why do you need another one - they're all blue and they look the same"

having highlighted the error - I'm certainly not going to let it bother me

It wouldn't unduly bother me either as I'd be re-numbering it anyway at some point but I've dropped Bachmann a note about it and will come back with any response. Well spotted though as I wouldn't have realised from the smaller images on retailers' sites.

• RMweb Premium

Almost off-topic. Over a barbecue on the terrace, and after a few sips of wine, Deb and I exchanged news on our respective fora. Hers is France Forum, where they discuss health issues, tax issues - and what French men do abroad, particularly New York! I explained the conversation Southernman46 and I had enjoyed, in the context of what Andy Y has now exposed as a really good model of a 2-EPB. "A 2-EPB?" she said incredulously "Next they'll be wanting a 4-VEP!" I believe not every RMWebber might have got that response from his wife of 37 years!

Wanting a 4-VEP!!!!!! The lengths I'd go to to avoid getting on one - drafty, cramped seats, people stepping your toes... Give me a 4-CIG any day of the week. But I'm impressed your wife knew what one was - or has she been looking at the Hornby catalogue...???

having highlighted the error - I'm certainly not going to let it bother me - I sure it was an mistake one Friday afternoon by the C&W painting team at Eastleigh works ;)

I have to say it does miff me a bit that Bachmann's quality assurance/control doesn't pick this sort of thing up - the position of the DTC numbers on one of their green Class 108s is wrong (and they repeated the error too).

But there certainly are prototypical cases of BR numbering errors. I can't remember the details, but some years ago Eastleigh or Selhurst managed to mix up the carriage numbering on a Class 455 unit and it took months for it to be corrected.

• RMweb Gold

Wanting a 4-VEP!!!!!! The lengths I'd go to to avoid getting on one - drafty, cramped seats, people stepping your toes... Give me a 4-CIG any day of the week. But I'm impressed your wife knew what one was - or has she been looking at the Hornby catalogue...???

Yes, the VEP was a draughty beast in cold weather. Deb did a few years in the industry - often working with people who were much more gricer-minded than me. So her tasks included taking notes at level crossing site meetings on occasions - as well as being officially on board that record HST run from Newcastle to KX in the late '80s. She also typed the manuscript for one of the late Chris Gammell's books.

Not wishing to start a thread diverting debate............( I hope)

Despite their many shortcomings the 4-VEP's were nowhere near as bad as the 450 Desiro's. At least it was possible to sit 3 abreast in a VEP and also not actually have your knees touching those of the person opposite and crack the windows abit in hot weather. Also for me when standing up from a window seat not having to remember to duck to avoid cracking my head (again) on the luggage rack. However, I do find their rocket like acceleration and (whilst cab-riding on my old Woking patch) seeing the secondman's side speedo hovering at the 100mph mark with clearly available more in the tank impressive.

The 444's do however show what is possible to improve the overall passenger experience.

Archived