Bachmann 2 EPB

Summer_Saturday

Got my two running on the club test track last evening, they are lovely and smooth straight out of the box. They look very good too, even the die-hard steam fanatics seemed quite impressed. Yes the vehicle numbering faux pas is a bit embarrassing for Bachmann, but given the great finish I'm going to leave that severely alone. I will change one of the unit numbers though.

• 3 weeks later...

The Hatton's website has photos of the actual model,rather than the catalogue photo, including the box which would indicate that they have had it in stock.Is it possible that pre-orders exhausted their initial allocation?

I received my Lord and Butler "pristine" and (lightly) "weathered" Green with small yellow panel 2-EPBs this morning.

Very nice. I think I just prefer the lightly weathered one (taking the bright colours off the fuse box and shoe beam).

Excellent.

• RMweb Premium

I see that BR Green 2EPB's are appearing on EBay, New Boxed, Buy i Now.

Strange that none of the major retailers have them in stock!

Still waiting for mine from Hattons.

Always a possibility that some oiks out there are advertising for sale items which they themselves have on order but not yet in their hands. They are not supposed to do that on eBay but it is an all to common practice.

Always a possibility that some oiks out there are advertising for sale items which they themselves have on order but not yet in their hands. They are not supposed to do that on eBay but it is an all to common practice.

Well, shortly after posting this all the green 2epb's on ebay disappeared, but not before i got my order in. Had conformation that it's been dispactched, so it seems they really do exist.

• RMweb Gold

Just got back from the HobbyShop at Faversham with my green version - seems as though Bachmann are only sending out part-orders to retailers as Harvey at the HobbyShop had only received a small proportion of his order.....

Keith

All we need now is the Blue/grey one and what with Hornby VEP coming out next month ,then all have to wait for is the Bachmann MLV

...and the Thumpers!

And then to await an unbranded, unflashed, unredstriped 2EPB, and 4EPBs (in all colours, of course), and how about a 6H?

...and the Thumpers!

And then to await an unbranded, unflashed, unredstriped 2EPB, and 4EPBs (in all colours, of course), and how about a 6H?

Oh yes forgot about them due 2012 hopefully by then we have money again :laugh:

An NSE liveried 411 or 416?

Or both

James

An NSE 416 is highly likely though I believe there was only one painted (6229?). If the interior was modified to all open in the trailer the refurbished 64xx series could be produced.

An NSE 411 (and Jaffa,SWT)is unlikely at the moment as it will require new DMS and TBCK bodies with hopper vent windows. They were extensively rebuilt in the early 80's.

• RMweb Gold

An NSE 416 is highly likely though I believe there was only one painted (6229?). If the interior was modified to all open in the trailer the refurbished 64xx series could be produced.

I'm thinking of renumbering my 416/2 to a 416/4.... trimming out the bulkheads looks pretty simple but 'looks' and 'is' are two quite different things :rolleyes:

I'm thinking of renumbering my 416/2 to a 416/4.... trimming out the bulkheads looks pretty simple but 'looks' and 'is' are two quite different things :rolleyes:

I don't think it will be that tricky. Must admit I wouldn't mind a few 2EPB's. I remember riding from Victoria to Orpington made up of 3 2EPB's, 62xx, 64xx (NSE), 62xx. Made a change as non peak services used to be a single 4EPB.

• RMweb Premium

According to SR working instructions you can run 5x2EPB together in a train but not six together. That would require dispensation due to the slight excess of length caused by so many intermediate couplers and the need to isolate one set of motors due to current draw.

So as and when the various versions are available feel free to make up trains as you wish - but no more than 10 cars!

The internet just sent me a sublinal message.

I typed 416/4 into google and it came back with 104... obviously I need to finish my BRCW 'Toothpaste' DMU before I do anything to an EPB :laugh:

I wonder if Google is advising Bachmann on their next DMU subject...

According to SR working instructions you can run 5x2EPB together in a train but not six together. That would require dispensation due to the slight excess of length caused by so many intermediate couplers and the need to isolate one set of motors due to current draw.

So as and when the various versions are available feel free to make up trains as you wish - but no more than 10 cars!

Interesting because I recall seeing 6 x 2 Hap on a regular peak-hour working from Waterloo to Basingstoke in the 1980s.

4 x 2 EPB was by no means uncommon on South Western suburban services in the 1970s and early 1980s, though often a mix of types including ex-Tyneside units and, until they were all transferred away, SR 2 EPBs. Until they were restored to Hap, 2 Saps also appeared in the mix.

Archived