Bachmann 2 EPB

Summer_Saturday

Im really looking forward to this. Im going for the model zone blue with small ywp. That way I can have a nice blue and green combo. I just wish id ordered the all blue CEP when i had the chance. If you want to run two or three units together why not build a dummy using a DC kits epb.

The Wimbledon/West Croydon line has some wonderful stations for modelling.

At least for the early- to mid-sixties the stations were very odd.

Wimbledon was a large mainline station with six main/secondary line platforms and four Tube termini platforms. The West Croydon branch trains used Platforms 9 and 10 and could either pull in, stop and reverse or else continue through the platform go to a couple of carriage sidings and then reverse back into the station to work the next service.

Merton Park was a “junction adjacent to a level crossing. By this time the line towards Tooting had been singled and was used for freight only. The branch-line platform was single sided and passengers leaving walked across the freight line to the exit.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/72/20/722071_97e32e3d.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/722071&usg=__ZfXNjWHkKIrdZBS3sWV2lEuLpNc=&h=543&w=640&sz=89&hl=en&start=0&zoom=0&tbnid=xMtdJVkIs2FyhM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=137&ei=E4XGTaK8IsSb8QOy4_31Bw&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522merton%2Bpark%2522%2Bstation%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26rlz%3D1T4GGLR_enGB306GB307%26biw%3D814%26bih%3D490%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=317&vpy=104&dur=32&hovh=116&hovw=137&tx=129&ty=91&page=1&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

Morden Road was next (having passed the Tri-ang Factory with a couple of large signs overlooking the single line). This was a single platform halt type station, next to a road bridge over. Whilst it was a small station the building was quite large.

Then came Mitcham, where the line doubled temporarily to Mitcham Junction. Here there was a road bridge over the railway (which was in a large cutting) with the main station off-set with a tunnel walkway running to a passenger footbridge with steps down. Single-line staffs exchange here and at Mitcham Junction could involve quite a lot of running if gymnastics if one of the two trains was running late. Mitcham had quite a collection of sidings the other side of the road bridge but by the sixties they were seldom used.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23875695@N06/4942662935/

Next, Mitcham Junction – another real oddity where the “main line†double tracks from Streatham Junction down to Epsom curved in joining the branch just before a road bridge and then curving off again after the twin platforms.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4050/4220871717_b9997deca5.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/12445197%40N05/page115/&usg=__Tav4eppS8BaDcoHmv4gbK6BIrk0=&h=352&w=500&sz=156&hl=en&start=138&zoom=1&tbnid=qm519VJ7EAmc6M:&tbnh=158&tbnw=193&ei=GYPGTd74H4HIhAffh4n7Aw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmitcham%2Bjunction%2Bstation%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG%26rlz%3D1T4GGLR_enGB306GB307%26biw%3D814%26bih%3D490%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=188&page=23&ndsp=6&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:138&tx=92&ty=119

Off again on single tracks to Beddington Lane, little more than a single line halt platform by a level crossing.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/beddington_lane/index2.shtml

Then to little lost Waddon Marsh. A small island platform lost in three running lines to West Croydon and a multitude of sidings serving Croydon Power Station and Croydon Gas Works. The Gas Works had private industrial steam locos up until the late 60s. The platform was assessed from a footbridge. Just a mess.

http://www.time-capsules.co.uk/picture/number1243.asp

And finally to West Croydon , under a major road bridge and into the small bay. The rest of West Croydon consisted of two through platforms and a further bay for trains towards London, plus some carriage stabling sidings next to that bay.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/w/west_croydon/index.shtml

And, see :-

http://www.transport-of-delight.com/UK/BritishRail/Wimbledon-WestCroydon/Pages/Wimbledonbefore.htm

See Vic Mitchell’s and Keith Smith’s “Mitcham Junction Lines†for some pictures.

Lots of character – especially considering the norm for third rail electrics.

Just to bump this up a bit, but Bachmann have an advert for the 2EPB in the lastest Railways Illustrated mag. It looks lovely. Cannot be far away now. I will have to think of a small layout to build round it!

Paul

I think the same ad features in Hormby Magazine. The photos don't seem to illustrate individual compartments. Of course these may be the same shots released around the time of Warley so I guess the proof will be in the pudding.

• RMweb Gold

For such a mundane, workaday piece of railway equipment, the model makes it absolutely droolworthy! :good: :imsohappy:

I think that sums up present RTR standards pretty well for me. 2-EPBs were common currency, as trains go. They provided the final 2 cars of the South Eastern Division's 10-car scheme, ran the South London Line, did the Addiscombe and Bromley North shuttles, kept Caterham and Tattenham Corner in trains much of the day, did some London Bridge to London Bridge roundabouts. Just about everyman's unit. I used to have to climb inside to check the cleaners had been doing their job, and occasionally act as guard for a shunt move from Grove Park Shed into the station.

Yet, for me too - the model is just delicious!

And yet another email from Hattons, this time saying:

Hattons Model Railways Bachmann UK 31-375 Class 416 2 car EPB EMU in BR blue

This item, which you can see at http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=26453 will be in stock with us in the next day or two. [my emphasis]

Our price, which we set when announced in 2009, is based on the then RRP of £96.95. Since this time, the RRP has risen to £110.90.

Because we know you have expressed interest in this product but not placed an order, we thought you may like to know that we plan to increase the price in the next couple of days - and give you an opportunity to order at the current price.

Very exciting!

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Just had an email from Hattons that the BR blue version is due in stock this week! Tempted to pre-order before the price goes up, but I'm not ready to commit until I know that the internal compartments are included and that it doesn't have a black triangle on the DTS end (the pre-pro blue version had one at both ends IIRC). Does anyone who saw it at Derby (grahame's photo above) know by any chance?

Sorry to duplicate post, Fenman. We must both have been typing at the same time!

I'm not ready to commit until I know that the internal compartments are included and that it doesn't have a black triangle on the DTS end (the pre-pro blue version had one at both ends IIRC).

The one at Derby definately only had the triangle at one end - as it should; it indicates the guards compartment end. I can't remember about the internal compartments, but if I was an OO modeller the lack of them wouldn't put me off; it looks a real beaut and installing compartment walls cut from pasticard would be a relatively simple job.

G.

Just read an interesting snippet from the latest Collectors Club magazine. It confirms that the 2-EPB will include the internal partitions, which were missing from the pre-production models on show at Warley.

Page 42. Vol 11. No. 3

For those who missed this.

RP

I think that sums up present RTR standards pretty well for me. 2-EPBs were common currency, as trains go. They provided the final 2 cars of the South Eastern Division's 10-car scheme, ran the South London Line, did the Addiscombe and Bromley North shuttles, kept Caterham and Tattenham Corner in trains much of the day, did some London Bridge to London Bridge roundabouts. Just about everyman's unit. I used to have to climb inside to check the cleaners had been doing their job, and occasionally act as guard for a shunt move from Grove Park Shed into the station.

Yet, for me too - the model is just delicious!

and mine will be kept pristine in a small tribute to the 6 months I spent getting filthy dirty underneath them in shedding exams at Slade Green inspection shed (God that place was cold - open at both ends and the pits would fill up when it rained hard). At least I was spared the standard apprentice initiation of spending a couple of hours under a camshaft cover held down with a huge pile of brake blocks !!

• RMweb Gold

and mine will be kept pristine in a small tribute to the 6 months I spent getting filthy dirty underneath them in shedding exams at Slade Green inspection shed (God that place was cold - open at both ends and the pits would fill up when it rained hard). At least I was spared the standard apprentice initiation of spending a couple of hours under a camshaft cover held down with a huge pile of brake blocks !!

When were you at Slug's Island? It was part of my patch as SM in 1979-80. Bert Kennard was the engineer, with Dave Shirres as his assistant, I think.

I just checked my pre-orders with Hattons and found that I have inadvertently ordered two of the blue units.

Hey, I can live with that!! I'll just renumber one of them. :lol:

When were you at Slug's Island? It was part of my patch as SM in 1979-80. Bert Kennard was the engineer, with Dave Shirres as his assistant, I think.

I was there between May 81 and May 82 - time split between the Repair Shop and Inspection Shed. I remember Bert and Dave (who were god-like to us wee apprectices). I think Mr Kennard may have retired during that time ??

There were also 3 superb workshop supervisors in the Repair Shop - I seem to recall one was called Vic Townsend. It was a great place to work - such a different mix of people - some friendly, some grumpy , some gents, some right b*stards, some real scallywags, some just odd - I remember one chap who worked in the traction motor / wiring section who'd been a POW with the Japanese. He would march across the shop floor and stand and double time on the spot for a while at each cross gangway - never spoke just got one with his job - really sad to see. Presumably most of these guys were made redundant when the Repair shop closed for conversion to the Networker depot. I rememeber meeting one of the bogie gang lads working for a demolition firm during the Atlantic line bridge reconstructions in 1989 during my electrification project days.....small world.

And as for the carriage cleaners - a band of very very very scary worldy-wise women who used to scare the livings daylights out of me whilst re-lamping - 2-EPB compartments seemed to be very small then !!!

• RMweb Gold

I was there between May 81 and May 82 - time split between the Repair Shop and Inspection Shed. I remember Bert and Dave (who were god-like to us wee apprectices). I think Mr Kennard may have retired during that time ??

And as for the carriage cleaners - a band of very very very scary worldy-wise women who used to scare the livings daylights out of me whilst re-lamping - 2-EPB compartments seemed to be very small then !!!

At the end of 1980 I was whisked off to Beckenham to be Divisional Operating Assistant, so I rather lost touch. In truth I had been happy to let my assistant, Ian Mackie, look after the traffic side of things at SG, which he did pretty well. There were two ladies both called Mary who represented the carriage cleaners - and they were decent people, too, but I know what you mean about scary! Cross them and you might get a gipsy curse! One of the other ladies, who generally worked nights, was a little older, very respectful and taking car-maintenance classes - in view of her build, there were harsh rumours that she didn't need to use a jack to lift the car!

At the end of 1980 I was whisked off to Beckenham to be Divisional Operating Assistant, so I rather lost touch. In truth I had been happy to let my assistant, Ian Mackie, look after the traffic side of things at SG, which he did pretty well. There were two ladies both called Mary who represented the carriage cleaners - and they were decent people, too, but I know what you mean about scary! Cross them and you might get a gipsy curse! One of the other ladies, who generally worked nights, was a little older, very respectful and taking car-maintenance classes - in view of her build, there were harsh rumours that she didn't need to use a jack to lift the car!

I was at Beckenham for a week stint (as a technical apprenctice) in the SE traffic Control Office during late 1982 the Wednesday of which co-incided with the cadweld fire under the signal cable route at South Bermondsey - those guys REALLY earnt their money that week !!

• RMweb Gold

I was at Beckenham for a week stint (as a technical apprenctice) in the SE traffic Control Office during late 1982 the Wednesday of which co-incided with the cadweld fire under the signal cable route at South Bermondsey - those guys REALLY earnt their money that week !!

Sheesh! I was on-call officer, and found myself looking at the burnt-out cable at Bermondsey in the small hours! Next morning we were running the up SE side service with "black-hole" signalling, thanks mainly to two magnificent Area Inspectors, Don Smith and Sydney T Ball, commandeering a light engine, and clipping up every pair of points from Grove Park to NKE Junction. The week went past rather quickly, much of it at work - just when I was supposed to be packing everything up for our house-move the following week. Not sure we ever recovered!

And yet another email from Hattons, this time saying:

Hattons Model Railways Bachmann UK 31-375 Class 416 2 car EPB EMU in BR blue

This item, which you can see at http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=26453 will be in stock with us in the next day or two. [my emphasis]

Our price, which we set when announced in 2009, is based on the then RRP of £96.95. Since this time, the RRP has risen to £110.90.

Because we know you have expressed interest in this product but not placed an order, we thought you may like to know that we plan to increase the price in the next couple of days - and give you an opportunity to order at the current price.

Very exciting!

Paul

Just to back on thread - I can confirm this - Hattons have said they will have the Blue unit in stock in the next day or two

Sheesh! I was on-call officer, and found myself looking at the burnt-out cable at Bermondsey in the small hours! Next morning we were running the up SE side service with "black-hole" signalling, thanks mainly to two magnificent Area Inspectors, Don Smith and Sydney T Ball, commandeering a light engine, and clipping up every pair of points from Grove Park to NKE Junction. The week went past rather quickly, much of it at work - just when I was supposed to be packing everything up for our house-move the following week. Not sure we ever recovered!

I have applied the lessons learnt numerous times during some major signalling failures in Wessex over the last 10 years - "this is nothing - you should have been at London Bridge in 1982" :rolleyes:

I'm not ready to commit until I know that the internal compartments are included and that it doesn't have a black triangle on the DTS end (the pre-pro blue version had one at both ends IIRC). Does anyone who saw it at Derby (grahame's photo above) know by any chance?

I can confirm that the sample shown at Derby and the production items only have the black triangle at the correct end. I'll advise on the internal compartments in due course.

Archived