HELJAN UNVEILS ‘OO’ GAUGE 25/3 AND ‘ETHEL’ FOR 2019

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, meatloaf said:

Yes i know hence why i asked what decoders people are using. Id got a standard Bachmann 21 pin to hand id planned on using.

As i said i have had the issue of the loco running the opposite way before but never had the lighting reversed as well. Can this be sorted using CV settings? If do which ones.

The fault lies with the particular decoder that the youtuber used. He doesn't specify which manufacturer produced the decoder, so nobody knows which CVs set the directional lighting. Normally the yellow wire goes to the rear light and the white to the front. On a 21 pin decoder, they are pins 7 and 8 respectively.

On a Rails 6 pin decoder, they are CVs 50 and 49 respectively. They may well be different for different decoders.

Edited by 96701
Added CVs for one decoder.

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, csvt2004 said:

I have looked into fitting a Zimo 21 pin sound decoder. The zimo documentation suggests that speaker connections will be on the manufacturers circuit board. I think that I have found the connection in the picture. But none of this gets a mention in the instructions. I think the expression is "you are on your own".

speaker connection.jpg

The speaker pins on the 21pin are the two next to the "missing pin". If you have a multi-metre you can check connection between pads on the PCB to those pins.

Roy

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, rembrow said:

I managed to deal with the cab lights yesterday. I'm not convinced they are the same led as the indicator, anyway where the indicator box carries on into the cab, there is a triangular cut out in the side within the cab, the led sits in this aperture. I made triangular pieces of plasticard to fit the aperture and glued in place. This has blotted out the cab light but can be reversed by pulling off the plasticard fillet. What surprises me is that while Heljan have increased the lighting functions, they are still not making some functions, like cab lighting, switchable for dc users. They are still behind both Bachmann and Dapol in this respect, who include micro switches for lighting functions in dc. 

Whether it is the same LED or not I don't know, but images show only three wires from the PCB to the body, so even if they are different LEDs they are on the same function, which to be honest on a newly released  loco is sad. I thought Bachmann missed a trick with no cab lights on the new sealed beam Peaks, but could forgive them as the chassis was old, but this just doesn't make sense. Whilst Heljan have finally moved to a 21 pin decoder and LEDs, they have missed one of the fundamental benefits of doing so.

I think the new 47 may be better from comments made by Ben, I do hope so.

Roy

• Agree 3

56 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

The speaker pins on the 21pin are the two next to the "missing pin". If you have a multi-metre you can check connection between pads on the PCB to those pins.

Roy

Hi Roy,

Yes I have done exactly that. But my point is that I shouldn't have had to do so.

Regards

Richard

• Agree 2

My first blue one arrived today. I think it's lovely although as with at least another example received by an RMWeb reader bizarrely an front electrification flash is missing although the background is there. I don't need to return it to remedy that although its' a bit curious. I have actually arranged for a local(ish) retailer to put examples of the other two blue ones by (even the weathered one) as I'm quite taken with these, and even if I need to thin them out later I don't want to restrict my options now - these locos are too fundamental to my core modelling themes.

IMG_20210312_123053 (1).jpg

On 09/03/2021 at 20:08, robertcwp said:

I took delivery of my six today. I think they look very good. However, there was slight damage to some of them. Chipped paint on one or two lamp brackets. Very strangely a missing overhead warning flash - possibly not printed on to begin with - there was a blank bit on the end rather than just yellow paint where it should have been.

Out of interest is the version with the missing overhead flash the same as mine (25093)? There are a couple of photos of the loco (one in works, one late in life undated) on the DerbySulzers website with the same blank area on the same side of the same end where the flash should be....

https://www.derbysulzers.com/25093.html

Edited by andyman7

So just to clarify here and make sure that I have not misunderstood. We are saying that as the loco comes, you cannot control the cab lights independently from the headcode lights because they are one and the same. Also you cannot have the headcode box lit at one end and have the tail lights off at the other end (even with a dcc decoder). And whilst there is a socket on the PCB for a speaker, there is no lead provided to make such a connection.

13 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

My first blue one arrived today. I think it's lovely although as with at least another example received by an RMWeb reader bizarrely an front electrification flash is missing although the background is there. I don't need to return it to remedy that although its' a bit curious. I have actually arranged for a local(ish) retailer to put examples of the other two blue ones by (even the weathered one) as I'm quite taken with these, and even if I need to thin them out later I don't want to restrict my options now - these locos are too fundamental to my core modelling themes.

This has been mentioned on Facebook also and apparently it has been done intentionally

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

Hi,

I've seen a few queries about this. To make it absolutely clear, the missing flash on 25093 is deliberately printed like this - it is not a mistake. A quick '25093' search on Flickr will show that this missing flash (and mucky mark left behind) was quite noticeable on this loco, so we wanted to make it as accurate as possible for the period modelled. 

Hope this Helps

Ben

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 4

Thanks, I'm really happy to see a loco decorated from life so that's great to hear. It's going to need a bit of grime at some point....

Given the decision to go with how the actual loco was decorated even at the risk of people wondering if something is missing, maybe Heljan (and SLW) will have the courage to engineer single red rear lights for pre-late 80s locos :)

Edited by andyman7
  • Agree 1

On 10/03/2021 at 19:55, Patriot87003 said:

There’s a rat in my kitchen ....

84583CE6-BE53-478B-AB44-3737C3B72644.jpeg.a059e4d85bd756054257fbe4718aca3f.jpeg

... and now it’s on my layout!

8530C806-7602-457B-914E-6F215E6EF476.jpeg.69144e23c02598e27ec1e06d0fed7714.jpeg

An action shot below showing the domino marker lights (my layout is currently DC)

7E1EE02B-D1D5-426B-A098-A7644B82C058.jpeg.3d45f7cf8b4b906070d729ec763ad531.jpeg

Within the box are the accessory bags with mini ploughs, plates, tension lock couplings and pipes etc.

9AB4A95B-521B-4965-B6EC-65009A428651.jpeg.96a8fa138c28762f9b06d253db2a2d20.jpeg

My WCML layout is from around mid 1980’s to early 2000’s and during my first trip along the WCML during 1986, I can remember seeing a Class 25 at Stafford. Very pleased with the purchase so far ... very smooth runner.

What are you going to do?

• Funny 2

On 10/03/2021 at 19:55, Patriot87003 said:

An action shot below showing the domino marker lights (my layout is currently DC)

7E1EE02B-D1D5-426B-A098-A7644B82C058.jpeg.3d45f7cf8b4b906070d729ec763ad531.jpeg

My WCML layout is from around mid 1980’s to early 2000’s and during my first trip along the WCML during 1986, I can remember seeing a Class 25 at Stafford. Very pleased with the purchase so far ... very smooth runner.

If only there were some other Heljan products coming to market suitable for a mid 80s WCML layout....

• Like 4

I've found two pictures of 093 dated 1980 then 82 that clearly show the missing OHLE flash, they also show pretty hefty horizontal scraps along the body side and a buffer in dirty red oxide primer on the 2nd mans side no1 end(fan) . Note the cracked and part missing works plate and if you zoom in the faint remains of 25 partially obscured by the data panel. https://tinyurl.com/4v54bn62

28 minutes ago, w124bob said:

I've found two pictures of 093 dated 1980 then 82 that clearly show the missing OHLE flash, they also show pretty hefty horizontal scraps along the body side and a buffer in dirty red oxide primer on the 2nd mans side no1 end(fan) . Note the cracked and part missing works plate and if you zoom in the faint remains of 25 partially obscured by the data panel. https://tinyurl.com/4v54bn62

Also in that picture it has the sloped Class 24 style sandboxes not the straight sided ones that the model has

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, w124bob said:

I guess the builders plate for that one never entered anyones collection !

Whos going to take a chisel to their model and replicate that bodyside ?

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, csvt2004 said:

So just to clarify here and make sure that I have not misunderstood. We are saying that as the loco comes, you cannot control the cab lights independently from the headcode lights because they are one and the same. Also you cannot have the headcode box lit at one end and have the tail lights off at the other end (even with a dcc decoder). And whilst there is a socket on the PCB for a speaker, there is no lead provided to make such a connection.

When it comes to wiring.. theres not a lot of it...

38A3D928-FC3D-4E34-9520-5CA6245B66C6.jpeg.0b597a4166f32d7fa1bce5fff9001b1f.jpeg

Body lights (cab/headcode) are off 1 socket, red leds off another.

The other used JST sockets are.. 2 for wheel pickups1 each end, and 1 for DC to the motor.

I note that on DC the red leds are on in both directions on mine.. however in the direction of travel they are very dimmed, so dont show through the red lens.

The cab lights / headcodes use common wiring that reverses (turns off at one end) according to direction of travel on DC.

The PCB is a slimmed down version of the 26/27/33 pcb which had 8 JSTs, 2xAC, 2x Track, 4x Lighting and 1x DC to motor...though light sockets were powered off the DC track feed.

image.jpg.905489ed0801cde71c4137ee75cf765b.jpg

Edited by adb968008

I know Ben has said the dcc functionality on the 45 and 47 is better than on the 25, but im hoping you can at least turn off the taillights on the new 86. Tail lights lit when hauling a train is a real bug bear of mind , and im planning on getting 3 or 4 86s. Apologies for going OT.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, andyman7 said:

Out of interest is the version with the missing overhead flash the same as mine (25093)? There are a couple of photos of the loco (one in works, one late in life undated) on the DerbySulzers website with the same blank area on the same side of the same end where the flash should be....

https://www.derbysulzers.com/25093.html

Can't tell right now as they are all back in their boxes but it is a blue TOPS one so perhaps it's correct. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Can't tell right now as they are all back in their boxes but it is a blue TOPS one so perhaps it's correct. 

Yes, it is a representation of the mucky patch underneath. Obscured behind a fresh warning flash on my model of 25191 (which looks to have all the same body differences, along with some nostalgia for me)!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

but images show only three wires from the PCB to the body, so even if they are different LEDs they are on the same function

One common positive feed and two negatives are all that is required to separately feed two leds.

3 minutes ago, blueeighties said:

One common positive feed and two negatives are all that is required to separately feed two leds.

Yes, that's correct. To separate the body from chassis completely, there is one very delicate 3-pin plug to undo.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, blueeighties said:

Yes - that is exactly the point, there cannot be separate headcode and cab lights which would be four functions, needing a common and four wires making five. A point made in reply to the suggestion that there maybe separate LEDs for the cab lights.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Clarity