Hornby dublo

ddoherty958

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Pak75 said:

Hi there

Havent posted for a while as continue to have site access issues...

i have quite a bit of HD track now and some of points and buffer stops could do with some tlc in terms rust removal and touch up.

Does anyone know what is spec for HD grey gloss on points, etc? Closest I I have found is Humbrol #5 Admiralty Grey.

Thanks 

I took a look with a point against a RAL chart. In the daylight  indoors RAL1019 looked closest but tonight under LED daylight bulbs RAL7002 looked closer. The daylight bulbs tend to give better consistency but take a look for yourself and see what you think. I was going to post pictures for comparison but 1) that's dependent on my phone's processing and 2) the chart has quite a hefty copyright notice.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks for replies Cypherman, Il Grifone and SR71.

I googled RAL 7002 and even then a variety of different hues came up. The olive grey doesn’t look quite right for my points which are a more silver grey.

David may be right, HD probably got a job lot paint post war and then bought similar shades as it ran out so a variety of shades exist today.

Will try the colour matching at Bunnings, Sydney,  forgot about that.

The $64000 question - what is best representation LMS Duchess Atholl maroon? I bought one on EBay recently and am disappointed with its paint job...

Cheers

5 hours ago, Pak75 said:

The $64000 question - what is best representation LMS Duchess Atholl maroon? I bought one on EBay recently and am disappointed with its paint job...

Cheers

I used Humbrol LMS Crimson Lake (RC403) with a bit of black added for touching up mine.  I can't say exactly how much black I added, I just added a brushload at a time until I got the shade that matched.  You can't even see where it's been touched up, the match was so close.

• Like 1

My computer came up with a variety of greys for RAL7002 - all different and none quite like Dublo pointwork grey....  This seems to me to have a slightly blue cast

This shade first appeared on the last pre-war (actually wartime) production with the electrically operated points. Presumably an economy measure (or all they could get?), but why they continued after the war I can't imagine. This feature has always jarred with me. Yellow ballast was inexplicable, but why should the pointwork be different? Märklin (also Bing (prehistory) and Formo) track shares the yellow ballast in various tints, but not the grey pointwork. Trying to replicate this is a definite no-go!

Atholls on the other hand seem a tad dark compared to LMS crimson (scale effect/matt finish?), I find that Humbrol colours are generally a good match for Dublo colours (as they should be of course).

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

I would be wary of judging colours on your monitors. I have tried to set my monitors to match a reference image from the photo printers I use but unless you have very expensive monitors you will not get accurate colours through the spectrum.

Even two identical monitors can give a different colour cast from the factory. One of the reasons I had to re-order prints for my coach side thread was that the colours I got didn't match the monitor colours I'd drawn. Your brain is very good at correcting to what it expects to see also which doesn't help.

I'm frustrated I can't post the reference images here to avoid my waffle but, as said I daren't due to copyright, I hope my point is clearish.

Granted that one can't judge the actual tint from the monitor, but my point was that they were all (about a dozen) different on the same monitor.

I don't even trust the colour cards,

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

This is one of my H/D Duchess's. I used Halford's rattle can but cannot remember which one. I do remember that it was a British Leyland colour. It was the closest match I could get to the original H/D colour.

post-21711-0-65024800-1446987601.jpg

post-21711-0-85862400-1446987475.jpg

• Like 2

On 13/06/2022 at 17:14, Wolseley said:

I used Humbrol LMS Crimson Lake (RC403) with a bit of black added for touching up mine.  I can't say exactly how much black I added, I just added a brushload at a time until I got the shade that matched.  You can't even see where it's been touched up, the match was so close.

You can judge for yourself how close it is.  I can see one obvious spot where it was touched up, but the colour match is pretty good, especially in normal light.

P1010226.thumb.jpg.00e3e179baeffebf8dd92dae9bcfe52f.jpg

And, as an aside, yes, it is a horseshoe magnet motor in there....

• Like 1

Ford Burgundy Red is often quoted as suitable as is B/L Damask red.  Burgundy Red looks too light to me but it's the darkest red I can find on the rattle can shelves.

Hi

Went to local Hardware store and they did a colour match. The sample they mixed was good but when they made the gloss enamel, the colour was more olive green. HDublo does seem to have a slight grey blue appearance. Anyway, painted some buffers, judge for yourselves... colour definitely changes with different light.

Now have 0.5 litre of paint.

After much searching on internet, found two stockists Humbrol Rail colours in Australia so placed an order. If anyone wants details pls message me.

21772240-1644-451A-8D33-67DC233B3CBB.jpeg

Edited by Pak75
Typo
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Great Eastern said:

Hi

Has anyone found a suitable colour match for SD southern region green carriages please ? Preferably a car aerosol if possible, but anything would be appreciated.

Thanks

PS this is my first posting, so please tell me if I'm doing anything wrong !

Look up car factors in your area - they supply the materials for car bodyshops.

Take the original model to them and they will make up a car aerosol that is an exact match.

CJI.

Many thanks cctransuk, unfortunately there aren't too many motor factors around here who offer the service. I found a couple but they wanted 25 quid or so for an aerosol; which I thought was quite steep, and that was before recent price rises. However I'm keeping it as plan B, I was just hoping that there might be a Halfords rattle can that would do the job; unlikely I know!!

Wilco do a range of standard Holts automotive colours, I managed to get a crimson that’s pretty good, but unfortunately although they do a good range of reds, their greens are very limited, I presume because there aren't many green cars about in this country . I've got some old ICI automotive paint swatch booklets and I matched a carriage to those and used it to match the red aerosol using the code numbers.  You're quite right though, a properly matched bespoke one is probably going to be the answer.

HI GE

If you do not want to go to expense of custom aerosol (and risk not being exact) you could try Humbrol Rail Colour acrylics. They are supposed to be air-brushable  but members have also had good results just brushing.

Cheers

humbrol-acrylic-matt-rail-colours-various-14ml-pots.jpg

9 hours ago, Pak75 said:

HI GE

If you do not want to go to expense of custom aerosol (and risk not being exact) you could try Humbrol Rail Colour acrylics. They are supposed to be air-brushable  but members have also had good results just brushing

When I use tinlets (or whatever you call the plastic things the paint comes in) I brush it carefully with a sable brush and, after it is well and truly dry, give the model a coat of clear satin or flat using a Tamiya aerosol can.

Hi Pak75 and Wolseley,

Thanks for the replies, yes, mixing my own needs to be my next port of call. I've had some success in the past with Humbrol; using their extensive range of enamels. I had some luck with their military range using MC12 Prussian Dragoon blue to paint my Kitmaster / Dapol DP1, a good match for the Wedgwood blue. I hoped MC28 Green Leather or 131 Satin Green might be okay, but neither is quite right. Apparently there's some problem with Humbrol at present regarding some chemical which the USA won't accept ?!?! I was told that they've been taken off the market whilst Humbrol reformulates the enamel range ?!?!?!?   Therefore the enamel range is very hard to get at the moment, so acrylics are probably the best bet. I don't mind spraying, it's just a bit of a palaver setting up etc, I managed to get an airbrush on the interweb, something like an Iwata, and I run it with a compressor from B&Q that I bought in a sale, and a regulator I got years ago when I resprayed my car.   

As I'm sure you know Dublo only did two SD mk1s in green, so I wanted to do some others. I managed to get a BG the other day with a faded side and only a bit of rust (car anti rust treatment stuff is of course useful here) so I wanted to repaint. As you probably  know the BGs ran in green on the Western Region as well, in some rakes, so it'll be doubly useful.

I hadn't thought of brushing, as you quite rightly say a soft sable type brush is the best. I tend to use Daler's Dalon ones; I used to do some signwriting many years ago and found them pretty good. I was thinking of making a jig to hold the tinplate and try lining with a paint pen ?!?! 

GE

PS much as I like Bullfinches, peaceful clouds and the Grand Canyon, the little videos are getting on my wick !!!!! as well as in the way of typing !!!  How can I get rid of them on an Android tablet please ???? 

5 hours ago, Great Eastern said:

Hi Pak75 and Wolseley,

Thanks for the replies, yes, mixing my own needs to be my next port of call. I've had some success in the past with Humbrol; using their extensive range of enamels. I had some luck with their military range using MC12 Prussian Dragoon blue to paint my Kitmaster / Dapol DP1, a good match for the Wedgwood blue. I hoped MC28 Green Leather or 131 Satin Green might be okay, but neither is quite right. Apparently there's some problem with Humbrol at present regarding some chemical which the USA won't accept ?!?! I was told that they've been taken off the market whilst Humbrol reformulates the enamel range ?!?!?!?   Therefore the enamel range is very hard to get at the moment, so acrylics are probably the best bet. I don't mind spraying, it's just a bit of a palaver setting up etc, I managed to get an airbrush on the interweb, something like an Iwata, and I run it with a compressor from B&Q that I bought in a sale, and a regulator I got years ago when I resprayed my car.   

As I'm sure you know Dublo only did two SD mk1s in green, so I wanted to do some others. I managed to get a BG the other day with a faded side and only a bit of rust (car anti rust treatment stuff is of course useful here) so I wanted to repaint. As you probably  know the BGs ran in green on the Western Region as well, in some rakes, so it'll be doubly useful.

I hadn't thought of brushing, as you quite rightly say a soft sable type brush is the best. I tend to use Daler's Dalon ones; I used to do some signwriting many years ago and found them pretty good. I was thinking of making a jig to hold the tinplate and try lining with a paint pen ?!?! 

GE

PS much as I like Bullfinches, peaceful clouds and the Grand Canyon, the little videos are getting on my wick !!!!! as well as in the way of typing !!!  How can I get rid of them on an Android tablet please ???? 

I may be mistaken, but I thought that green BGs were fairly rare.

What lining - the green Mk.1s didn't have any?

CJI.

In an old Gauge O gazette (Aug 2000)  [left over from a galaxy far far away]  there's an article on using Halfords acrylic spray cans which suggests Ford Laurel Green for Southern green (I'm guessing that's BR southern green, haven't tried it but I've no idea if that paint is still available).  Might be worth a look in Halfords.  The article also suggested Vauxhall Burgundy red for BR maroon, and Rover Brooklands green for BR green, both of which I have used, quite a lot actually, look the part imho. The Halfords  paint does give a good finish, also matt black (indispensable) and red primer for bauxite is good. 

I do have a bottle of Railmatch BR southern green #314 which would do the trick.  That's probably the cheapest/most accurate solution. Brushes/sprays well imho.

Re the annoying weird "advert" on tablets you mention,  I couldn't get rid of it either and look at RMweb only on laptop or (android) phone both of which are fine.

Yes, green BGs were fairly rare, I was just making the point that they can be run with green or chocolate and cream SDs. Also I have read that as the Southern Region relinquished various Mk1s, as electrification was extended, the ones that were passed to LMR remained in green for quite a while, which gives us a bit more prototypical variety.

When I said lining I meant the tin plate printed black lining of doors etc which I will have to replicate by hand.

GE

Sorry about the confusion, I didn't explain myself properly

Edited by Great Eastern
typo and apology

Hi Railroadbill,

The Railmatch 314 Southern Stock Green does seem pretty good, someone else who remembers the carriages also recommended it to me as the closest he'd seen. Unfortunately the Dublo carriages are a colour all of their own. As for the Ford colour my local Halfords doesn't stock it any longer !!!! 

These "adverts" for Bullfinches are so invasive I can't even log in at the top without them overlaying the login box. You're quite right laptops are ok, I presume my advert suppression takes care of them ?!?!  I'm also having trouble getting this reply box to behave itself, I had to reboot just now.

GE

Hi Railroadbill,  I'm on my laptop now so I can reply properly (without all the Bullfinches !!)

I've heard good reports of the Rover Brooklands Green, but is this for BR Brunswick green or Dublo's  versions of it ?   Sagaguy recommended Vauxhall Pine Green for the Montrose, have you had any experience of this ?

I must say I've taken to preparing swatches of colours I use in recent years; every time I use a new colour I spray / daub a bit on some plastic card (usually a transparent bit to avoid the substrate affecting the colour) and then I write on it with a paint pen so I can remember what paint it was. I keep them in a small folder that's got little pockets in it (the sort that coin collectors use) then when I want to match up a colour I can offer them up. I've found this really useful, I don't know if anybody else does something like this ???  I'd be interested to compare notes.

I bought a Replica MLV  'kit of bits'  recently, and I was thinking of using the  Railmatch 314 Southern Stock Green

on this, as far as I know that should be correct ? Any thoughts ?

GE

3 hours ago, Great Eastern said:

I must say I've taken to preparing swatches of colours I use in recent years; every time I use a new colour I spray / daub a bit on some plastic card (usually a transparent bit to avoid the substrate affecting the colour) and then I write on it with a paint pen so I can remember what paint it was. I keep them in a small folder that's got little pockets in it (the sort that coin collectors use) then when I want to match up a colour I can offer them up. I've found this really useful, I don't know if anybody else does something like this ???  I'd be interested to compare notes.

GE

I do something similar since I started painting kits about 50 years ago always wrote in a little book what paint used to paint a particular model so could tell you a tamyia centurion used a certain bronze green in 1977. Still keep little books now plus always dab a paint on a upside old tobacco tin and write label colour etc etc.

Rattle cans are getting harder to find got are all motorist shops in high street, Hellfords only seem to stock silver paint, seems no one repairs cars ?

Only source seems to be Aldi and Lidi hobby paint did find a useful red recently will let you know what it looks like on next stripped Duchess 

• Like 1

P1080752.thumb.JPG.144854f739ba106f2873d588e6d062f9.JPG

Sunny morning on a grey background....I've looked at various BR green locos I've got and this Grange comes closest to the H-D Bristol Castle.  I sprayed the Grange (originally an ebay non-runner but  OK now it's refurbished)  with Precision Paints P101 BR loco green post 1954  (satin finish).  The Rover brooklands green sprayed locos look a bit too bright to be a good H-D match, although close enough to BR green for running round the loft.  The current Hornby green locos are rather varied in greens used...

Sooo...P101 might be close enough to patch up H-D paintwork.

When loco green came up on another occasion, I suggested that the Hornby Dublo colour was likely to be authentic as the full size locos were running around when the models were produced. You could put your H-D loco in your pocket,  go to Paddington or wherever and compare it to the full size!

Edited by railroadbill
  • Agree 1