Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Diesels come to Pendon! Form an orderly queue!

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Love it!  No mention of a Kernow D60X featuring, I note!!!

:angel:

Given Pendon's penchant for accuracy I guess they're waiting for the battery box debate to be resolved - see (ir)relevant other thread

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Roye England will be turning in his grave. By the time of the diesels some of the buildings depicted had gone. The scene he set out was what he had seen..and having been fortunate enough to have a long chat with him a long time ago he wanted people to see the Vale as it was..and what a brilliant job the people involved in Pendon have done about doing just that!

Baz

• Like 1

What next ? For 2019, a background model of Didcot Power station (which is itself now history, just as much as thatched cottages and unmetalled roads) and MGR trains behind Classes 47 and 56 !

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Roye England will be turning in his grave. By the time of the diesels some of the buildings depicted had gone. The scene he set out was what he had seen..and having been fortunate enough to have a long chat with him a long time ago he wanted people to see the Vale as it was..and what a brilliant job the people involved in Pendon have done about doing just that!

Baz

Yes - Roye was very keen on recreating what had been there pre-war and always spoke in condemnatory terms about buildings which had been 'modernised' (even prior to 1939) and had ruined their surroundings as well as losing their own looks and interest.  He had very little interest in the 'modern scene' of the late 1960s so I suspect he would not be over keen on the railway taking on a more modernistic look with the diesels he had no time for or interest in.  So the Vale scene has emerged very much, if not exactly, as Roye wanted it, a recreation of a scene which was already disappearing by the 1930s and as I had close family connections in the area Roye was always interested to know what they had thought of the changes between the wars and after 1945 (although oddly the far older and unaltered barn at Challow where my grandparents farmed after the war was not one he had come across).

I can see the 'commercial value' of Pendon joining the world of diesel galas as it might appeal to a wider audience but I do wonder about the prototypical accuracy of the items listed in the OP in relation to the railway infrastructure on the Vale layout.  Pendon could just about have survived infrastructure wise as the goods yards at the Vale stations (except Uffington which lost its freight in1963 ) were closed in 1965 but had long been quiet.  However tubular steel replacement signals would have inevitably have replaced at least some of the timber post signals by the late 1950s when the WR seem to have been going through a considerable amount of signal renewal.   I wouId question the DMU of that type as being appropriate for the area in the late '50s/early 1960s and the appearance of a Hymek on a South Wales coal train at that time would strike me as unusual - in the time of the first 20 or so 'Warships' those trains were still very much the preserve of 28XX and that lingered on while in their early years Hymeks were in considerable demand for passenger and parcels workings plus occasional appearances on more general freights being somewhat underbraked for use on coal trains.  i'm not saying it didn't happen c.1962/63 but definitely out of the ordinary.  And if a Hymek why not a '1000', a very odd omission.

So overall I tend to see it very much as a sort of 4mm scale diesel gala rather than anything else and not sitting over comfortably in the Pendon mould of either historical accuracy or having any sort of place in the dream Roye worked so hard to turn into a real model

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Baz

I agree with your sentiments, Barry.

Most of the buildings portrayed do still exist and I have visited most of them when I worked in what is now Oxfordshire. But they have in some cases changed almost beyond recognition and that was indeed the point of Roye England's project.

By all means, attract a new clientele to Pendon by showing top quality diesel era models, but not on the main layout.

• RMweb Gold

Clearly, there can be no greater illustration of the diaphanous and unambiguous conceptualisation of contextual aesthetics that Art of this nature imparts.

There used to be a button for "unsure of meaning". Wish we still had it.

• Like 3

Class 108 with speed whiskers? Not on the Western Region at that time....

This reminds me of the early 1980s when RTR DMUs consisted of Lima Suburban units or the Hornby Calder Valley. A number of exhibition layouts had one of the other as a "token" DMU even if the setting was nowhere near the geographic area where the real units operated. 

Yes - Roye was very keen on recreating what had been there pre-war and always spoke in condemnatory terms about buildings which had been 'modernised' (even prior to 1939) and had ruined their surroundings as well as losing their own looks and interest.  He had very little interest in the 'modern scene' of the late 1960s so I suspect he would not be over keen on the railway taking on a more modernistic look with the diesels he had no time for or interest in.  So the Vale scene has emerged very much, if not exactly, as Roye wanted it, a recreation of a scene which was already disappearing by the 1930s and as I had close family connections in the area Roye was always interested to know what they had thought of the changes between the wars and after 1945 (although oddly the far older and unaltered barn at Challow where my grandparents farmed after the war was not one he had come across).

I can see the 'commercial value' of Pendon joining the world of diesel galas as it might appeal to a wider audience but I do wonder about the prototypical accuracy of the items listed in the OP in relation to the railway infrastructure on the Vale layout.  Pendon could just about have survived infrastructure wise as the goods yards at the Vale stations (except Uffington which lost its freight in1963 ) were closed in 1965 but had long been quiet.  However tubular steel replacement signals would have inevitably have replaced at least some of the timber post signals by the late 1950s when the WR seem to have been going through a considerable amount of signal renewal.   I wouId question the DMU of that type as being appropriate for the area in the late '50s/early 1960s and the appearance of a Hymek on a South Wales coal train at that time would strike me as unusual - in the time of the first 20 or so 'Warships' those trains were still very much the preserve of 28XX and that lingered on while in their early years Hymeks were in considerable demand for passenger and parcels workings plus occasional appearances on more general freights being somewhat underbraked for use on coal trains.  i'm not saying it didn't happen c.1962/63 but definitely out of the ordinary.  And if a Hymek why not a '1000', a very odd omission.

So overall I tend to see it very much as a sort of 4mm scale diesel gala rather than anything else and not sitting over comfortably in the Pendon mould of either historical accuracy or having any sort of place in the dream Roye worked so hard to turn into a real model

I am in total agreement with you on this Mike, well said.

Having visited the wonderful concept which is Pendon from early days to its present form and the undetermined hours spent by excellent model makers recreating Roye England's wishes, I would hope this to be a one off event.

• Like 3