The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Another scam (paypal this time)

laurenceb

It obviously pays them to send emails or ring. Nobody, even criminals , works for nothing. That they pray on the most vulnerable makes the crime worse in decent people's minds. 

Exactly. I heard a radio interview with an anonymous scammer some years ago, who said that his computers will send out about 10 million emails an night to every combination of numbers and letters the computer generates. 

He was quite happy to have just a 0.001% response rate, because that would mean a hundred positive chances of clearing out someone's savings per day. 

I think you may be able to do the monetary sums yourself; and work out the potential for accumulating a cash mountain in a relatively short space of time. 

• RMweb Gold

City of London Police are the lead force for dealing with computer crime. You can (should?) forward any suspect e-mails to them.

I would be spending most of each day forwarding them. It's easier to let the junk filters deal with them. If I reported them all on here, I'd have a bigger post count than even the most prolific spammers posters.

You mean you want it from Denise rather than Dennis?

No. More that the name of the sender will be a totally different name such as Lydia and the name in the email will be Katya. There will be a dozen of them arriving within a couple of days all with different girls names mostly East European or Asian sounding. But the wording of the email itself will be identical. They certainly don't put any effort into making it seem genuine.

They are obviously trying to attract vulnerable middle aged blokes who are looking for those types of women.

If that's what you want then there are far better ways of finding them than replying to random emails.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

My junk email box recently seems to be mostly full of spam with a title something along the lines of "Confirm your unsubscribe now please" - I'm assuming they're phishing based on the recent GDPR changes. At the moment there's about half a dozen in there, all with my own name as the sender, which really confuses me - do they think I'll somehow presume that I sent an email to myself without knowing?

City of London Police are the lead force for dealing with computer crime. You can (should?) forward any suspect e-mails to them.

Do they have an e-mail address you forward the suspect e-mails to?

Don't worry, I've found it!

NFIBPhishing@city-of-london.pnn.police.uk

Edited by jcm@gwr

• RMweb Premium

Do they have an e-mail address you forward the suspect e-mails to?

Don't worry, I've found it!

NFIBPhishing@city-of-london.pnn.police.uk

NFIB

No Further Investigation Bureau? Other than storing and making an occasional report.

No disrespect intended, its just an impossible task, as the spammers vastly outnumber any sensible number of investigators.

• 1 month later...

And there's another TV Licence spam email doing the rounds , saying your TV Licence expired yesterday and you you need to renew now . How convenient is it that there is a box for your bank details for you to renew... 

How do I know its fake --- TV Licences expire on the last day of a month, not in the period between, like 4th December

• RMweb Premium

NFIB

No Further Investigation Bureau? Other than storing and making an occasional report.

No disrespect intended, its just an impossible task, as the spammers vastly outnumber any sensible number of investigators.

Depends really. If the investigators have got decent spam filters up their workload shouldn't be that high :)

• Like 1