Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

I have just taken delivery of one. The finish is excellent, as usual, but unfortunately this model has trouble staying on the track. My other Bachmann 47s run perfectly, it is only this one that comes off on the curves.

I'd check each bogie (both sides) with a straight edge across the 3 wheel treads to ensure the centre wheel/tread is not slightly lower than the outer 2, which normally causes the bogie to rock/chatter on the centre wheel set, which can result in extra noise and de-railing. If you find the centre axle/wheels are slightly lower, remove the axle and gently file out the bottom of the brass bearing recess by a SMALL amount allowing the axle to sit slightly lower.

It's also worth checking the bogies can move/tilt fore and aft, if not slacken off the bogie tower retaining screws slightly. 

HTH

Edited by tractor_37260

I'd check each bogie (both sides) with a straight edge across the 3 wheel treads to ensure the centre wheel/tread is not slightly lower than the outer 2, which normally causes the bogie to rock/chatter on the centre wheel set, which can result in extra noise and de-railing. If you find the centre axle/wheels are slightly lower, remove the axle and gently file out the bottom of the brass bearing recess by a SMALL amount allowing the axle to sit slightly lower.

It's also worth checking the bogies can move/tilt fore and aft, if not slacken off the bogie tower retaining screws slightly. 

HTH

Hmm. I have just started running mine and it is a bit noisy and derails the rear bogie on one set of points every two or three circuits. I'll have a closer look using your suggestion, thanks.

47190 now starting to arrive.

I note that the while lines on the tyre walls are reprasented. I think this is an RTR first, very effective. although does not appear to have been done on the other recent 47 in NSE livery.

I believe these marks are to indicate if the tyres have slipped.

V. nice images from Hattons.

http://www.ehattons.com/images/products/31-658_1455780_Qty1_1.jpg

Hmm. I have just started running mine and it is a bit noisy and derails the rear bogie on one set of points every two or three circuits. I'll have a closer look using your suggestion, thanks.

Ran mine in yesterday and had no problems at all with either noise or derailing. Did around 3 hours running, as I'd forgotten it was running in while watching the grand prix!

47190 now starting to arrive.

I note that the while lines on the tyre walls are reprasented. I think this is an RTR first, very effective. although does not appear to have been done on the other recent 47 in NSE livery.

I believe these marks are to indicate if the tyres have slipped.

V. nice images from Hattons.

http://www.ehattons.com/images/products/31-658_1455780_Qty1_1.jpg

Yes the wheel slip markings are a nice addition. My 'Haymarket' has them on one side only. 

• RMweb Premium

Yes the wheel slip markings are a nice addition. My 'Haymarket' has them on one side only. 

My newly delivered Haymarket doesn't have any at all!!   :scratchhead:

Looking at it, this is also a suitable candidate for renumbering and re-plating as 47716 which has the same configuration of Network SouthEast names where both are at the No. 2 end (Its a veritable minefield NSE livery, I have been hard pressed to find two that were identical!!) 

One modification straight out of the box has been the careful usage of a fine black permanent marker pen to attend to the TDM cables, they most definitely should not be orange!!

I've been looking forward to the release of 47190 to go with my re-painted 47380, only trouble is, I run only DC and don't want the factory weathering.

Although my local(ish) model shop are very good, I don't think they'll stretch to allowing me to swap the chip over with the DC and DCC sound version when it's comes out!

Maybe I'll see if anyone with the sound version wants to swap.

My newly delivered Haymarket doesn't have any at all!!   :scratchhead:

Looking at it, this is also a suitable candidate for renumbering and re-plating as 47716 which has the same configuration of Network SouthEast names where both are at the No. 2 end (Its a veritable minefield NSE livery, I have been hard pressed to find two that were identical!!) 

One modification straight out of the box has been the careful usage of a fine black permanent marker pen to attend to the TDM cables, they most definitely should not be orange!!

Mine hasn't either.. With regards to the TDM cables I haven't got around to painting mine yet, but I agree they do need changing. Once I've painted them I'll have a look to see if I still

think their too 'fat'

(black has a slimming effect as any woman will tell you) If so then they'll be replaced.

Edited by 45059

• RMweb Premium

Adding black to the cables seems to have visually slimmed them down a bit but not much:

post-6910-0-74342700-1371383533_thumb.jpg

May try some spare Heljan ones on the second one I intend to acquire as I used these on a Vi-Trains 47711 NSE repaint a while back and they do look a bit better once the orange ends are painted.

• Like 3

Just noticed that on Rails's site 47715 Haymarket is described as 'last few left, discontinued by manufacturer'. So thinking that this couldn't be right I had a quick look on the Bachmann site.

Low and behold Haymarket has a 'Out of stock' cross next to it, which I would normally take to mean discontinued...

Does anyone else know any better? As this is a new release and not intended to be any kind of limited edition as far as I was aware.

Hattons will let me buy 25 of them (according to the web site).  Rails will only let me buy one but they no longer have the offer of the free NSE coach.

I haven't bought one of these  - partly hoping that the price may come down.  I'll probably end up regretting it though and the price will instead go up!

It does look nice...

• RMweb Premium

My second one has just been through the shops to be renumbered and replated as 47716.  I have also changed the TDM cables for the Heljan ones:

post-6910-0-37574900-1371931876_thumb.jpg

47715 on the left has the original Bachmann spec ones with the cables painted black, 47716 on the right has the Heljan version with the ends painted orange.

Interesting to note another variation, despite these being supposedly identical models out of the box, the one on the left has the buffer beam ETH jumpers fitted, the one on the right they are completely missing.  :scratchhead:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just noticed that on Rails's site 47715 Haymarket is described as 'last few left, discontinued by manufacturer'. So thinking that this couldn't be right I had a quick look on the Bachmann site.

Low and behold Haymarket has a 'Out of stock' cross next to it, which I would normally take to mean discontinued...

Does anyone else know any better? As this is a new release and not intended to be any kind of limited edition as far as I was aware.

It is in the Bachmann 2013/4.Catalogue.  Rails are fantasising....again.......just means THEY haven't any of the current batch of 47715. More will eventually arrive in another consignment,just as,for example the current Class 37 D 6984 ( weathered ) is about to.Don't panic....that's just what Rails marketing style .....and one or two others....want you to do Try elsewhere....e.g. Hereford Model Centre.

From the Pictures of 47798 in the 'News' Section, the new Crewe-Cut cab versions, which seem to have a part new cab tooling, might have been improved with respect to the marker lights. They also (obviously) aviod the wrong buffer cowl that extends too far down the buffer beam, and thus is incorrectly angled with respect to the structural member behind it. This was one of the lesser-complained issues on the original Bachmann-47, where attention focused on the fuel tanks and the bogies. Arguably it is, along with the marker lights, the outstanding visually annoying features on the Bachmann 47 that has prevented me buying any thus far.

When released, I think the marker lights were considered to be the weakest part of the Bachmann Class 47 (forgetting temporary use of Class 57 parts on some of the earlier models).  It actually depends what livery you buy.  I went with the Intercity liveried "Titan" in part because the black surrounds make the marker lights look fine (isn't black slimming or something?!).

This was the best picture I could find to allow a direct comparison of the front ends of 47715 with John Upton's picture above:

post-6910-0-37574900-1371931876_thumb.jp

3820515958_f130412071_b.jpg
47715 + 47707 181092 by John Neave, on Flickr

Edited by BR(S)
  • Like 1

A picture's worth a thousand word's !   :whistle:     Marker lights and sealed beams are more to scale on the Vi 47 - face on, it looks better than the Bach 47, although the headlight is a little small on the Vi, Bach got that correct, after the grossly overscale ones on their early 57's.

Edited by tractor_37260

A picture's worth a thousand word's !   :whistle:     Marker lights and sealed beams are more to scale on the Vi 47 - face on, it looks better than the Bach 47, although the headlight is a little small on the Vi, Bach got that correct, after the grossly overscale ones on their early 57's.

However the motor (and generally) the build quality from Bachmann I feel to be superior. It certainly feels like a more robust model, where as Vi feels like it has been built down to a price.

I'm afraid I just have too many issues with Vi products, hence none grace my metals.

Putting the two together, I don't think the Bachmann marker lights look too bad at all. The white probably just emphathises the size of them.  Perhaps a bit of dirt or grey paint?

post-1105-0-36827600-1372174208.jpg

The jumper cables seem to be more of a problem!

Edited by kintbury jon

Putting the two together, I don't think the Bachmann marker lights look too bad at all. The white probably just emphathises the size of them.  Perhaps a bit of dirt or grey paint?

attachicon.gifpost-6910-0-37574900-1371931876_thumb.jpg

The jumper cables seem to be more of a problem!

I'd agree the jumper "cables" are also way over scale - but that's easily sorted, more so than the markers/sealed beam lights. 

The marker lights on the Vi 47 below look more to scale, compared to the real loco above. I also feel that the Vi 47 captures the elusive shape of 47 cab front windows better, especially so, once Shawplans Laserglaze is fitted.

As for running qualities, my examples are all very quiet and excellent slow speed runners. They do not exhibit any problems with track de-railing/noise etc.  The lighting is very basic, but that can easily be improved. The paint coverage is very thin with some shades, but the colours are mostly accurate.

post-2215-0-42526200-1372190497_thumb.jpg