Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

• RMweb Gold

The early models (can't recall the number) carried this version - try the -800?. Look just look for the sye and two-piece rad shutters on a green one

Thats always been the problem with the Bacchy issues Jon! Bacchy have yet to do a Serck fitted GSYP loco - D1500 D1572 and D1744 are all GSYP and all had the original 3 piece fixed grills plus I think the round boiler port

D1764 in GFYE had the correct Serck grills but I cant see the boiler port, think its still the round one

Which means that AFAIK D1677 is the first one with Serck grills and the square boiler port - but of course is GFYE too

Kind regards

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thats always been the problem with the Bacchy issues Jon! Bacchy have yet to do a Serck fitted GSYP loco - D1500 D1572 and D1744 are all GSYP and all had the original 3 piece fixed grills plus I think the round boiler port

...and when they do one, please can the SYP be the correct size for once.

• Like 1

D1764 in GFYE had the correct Serck grills but I cant see the boiler port, think its still the round one

Which means that AFAIK D1677 is the first one with Serck grills and the square boiler port - but of course is GFYE too

Kind regards

Phil

Thanks for the correction... I'm guessing the bolier ports are an easy "fix"... the rad shutters/gills are less so. I just wish Bach would bring out a blue one with rad shutters and 4-digit train reporting panel; it's taking me a while to convert one to get to this.

• RMweb Gold

You are welcome Michael

If you can live with a Heljan TubbyDuff their GSYP gives the configuration you seek

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

cheers Chaps, Im in no real hurry for one so dont mind waiting.theres just something about that circle vent one I dont like.

do hope they do it but.

when they will reveal the next liveries, March maybe?

shot of the roof the only thing on this shell would be the windscreen rivets which I dont mind too much filing down, unless they can do something about it at their end.

post-27-0-96468600-1357766442.jpg

Edited by Michael Delamar

Guest jim s-w

Hi Michael

Are you comparing the model to the prototype picture? If so the cantrail grills look different styles to me. The prototype looks more like one of the 'generator' style locos

Cheers

Jim

Hi Michael

Are you comparing the model to the prototype picture? If so the cantrail grills look different styles to me. The prototype looks more like one of the 'generator' style locos

Cheers

Jim

... more like one of the first ten "generator" locos.... yes, a good catch that Jim

Thats a new one on me - bearing in mind the cooler group is at the far end in the prototype shot what do we think is the difference chaps?

Phil

If you look at this pic of 47414 http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0998050269210, you will see that the grills are each split by two further ribs.... each big grill split into three groups. If you look at this pic of 47401 http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0724050015210 you'll see that those extra ribs aren't there... and each grill isn't split.

So on 401 you have 4 grills each split in half; on 414 (411 and subs) you have the same, but each of the half grills is split in three. The Bachmann one is similar to that on 414... so caters for most of the locos.

I was quite gutted when this was pointed out to me (by Mike "Enterprisingwestern")... so decided to not change it (how?) and chose one of the 2nd batch rather than first.

HTH

Jon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thats a new one on me - bearing in mind the cooler group is at the far end in the prototype shot what do we think is the difference chaps?

Phil

Thanks Jon - see what you mean. Assume all locos after 1510 had the additional ribs?

Kind regards

Phil

• Like 1

Thanks Jon - see what you mean. Assume all locos after 1510 had the additional ribs?

Kind regards

Phil

I've got to be honest... I'm not sure about all of them; so the best option is now that you know what to look for, take a look at photos of your chosen prototype and decide. That's what I had to end up doing anyway. Good luck

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

How does the battery boxes/water tanks come off on a 47/57. I am wanting to swap a pair of loco`s round to get the correct item on each and assumed they just clipped on. The parts leaflet does show it as just been clipped on but this one is not moving at all. Before i get too rough with it, is there an easy way to get them off.

Thanks

Jon

How does the battery boxes/water tanks come off on a 47/57. I am wanting to swap a pair of loco`s round to get the correct item on each and assumed they just clipped on. The parts leaflet does show it as just been clipped on but this one is not moving at all. Before i get too rough with it, is there an easy way to get them off.

Thanks

Jon

Yes, if you just squeeze either side they should start to budge. If you look here and scroll down, you'll see the ones I reworked... and you can see the 4 clips that attach it to the chassis frame - reinforced as I snapped one.

HTH

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just out of interest, is the Backy 3 piece fixed grill just an etch over the Serck moulding? Noticed a blue Bachmann on e bay at the moment with roller blind headcode panels and serck grills which is claimed to be an ex 47148 (which was one of the 3 piece models). Which got me wondering....

• RMweb Gold

Hi there

Assume thats this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-class-47-no-47148-BR-blue-/160969085019?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item257a81505b

The grilles in question - and therefore the cooler group - are at the far end of the loco in the piccies and are the fixed 3 piece originals -- not Sercks - as released by Bacchy on 47148 so that fits with this being the unadulterated original model.

Are part of the body moulding not a seperate fit

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Hi there

Assume thats this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-class-47-no-47148-BR-blue-/160969085019?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item257a81505b

The grilles in question - and therefore the cooler group - are at the far end of the loco in the piccies and are the fixed 3 piece originals -- not Sercks - as released by Bacchy on 47148 so that fits with this being the unadulterated original model.

Are part of the body moulding not a seperate fit

Kind regards

Phil

Hi,

No wasn't that one - link attached hopefully:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-00-Gauge-Class-47-236-Professionally-detailed-and-weathered-/271152025101?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3f21eb8e0d.

I suspect its a GFYE respray although it doesn't say as such. Anyway thanks for info re the 3 piece moulding.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

This looks like the body off the Bachmann limited edition it sold through its website a year or so ago (alongside 47975 in Dutch livery) - apparently a retailer limited edition that was not taken up. The lower bodycolour does look too beige but I'm not sure it should be as pure white as the bodyside white band.

• Like 1