Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

Guest jim s-w

For a modeller? No problem at all - for a manufacturer it would mean adding material to the tooling. Not so easy.

47088%20on%20steel%202.jpg

Bachmann 47 with Heljan tanks and bogie sideframes.

Cheers

Jim

Guest Max Stafford

For original build 47/0s I'm pretty sure that they've corrected the sideframes in the latest batches but those tanks still annoy me. I might have to order HJ replacements for my 1537.

Dave.

Just seen the preproduction shots of 47365 on Kernow's website............... It seems an odd livery , I would like to know what the basis is or whether this is a cock up in the making...

Original RFD 3TG, but with revised RFD lettering, logo position, channel tunnel polos and blue roof ? surely not ?

Not original 3tg as the line between the two greys is too far down the body side. Looks ok for the RFD interntional livery apart from the upper grey colour being far too light. Hopefully colour corrected on production run...

I have and on class47.co.uk there is a shot of her in this livery with very much the dark grey upper sides. I can't say for sure she didn't fade or carry a non std look at some point tho... I've mailed Bach to see if they could correct for production...

Yes, jim, did that and also class 47.co.uk.

As matt put it a bit more succinctly - all details right for rfd revised except glaring upper grey band which is far too light.

I emailed Bachmann too, and kernow as well as it may grab their attention better from a retailer.

OK... because I can't upload to the gallery at the moment, I'll post this here. This is the reworking of a Bachmann 47 bogie that I've in work at the moment... making it all look a little more accurate... and yes, I probably am mad!

post-8351-0-25841000-1349472709_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

DISASTER!!!

Just putting my locos to bed for the night and have just noticed that the windscreens of my 47975 have fogged badly:

post-6910-0-39665000-1349565164_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-70856400-1349565175.jpg

:scared:

The other end is fine:

post-6910-0-22690700-1349565171_thumb.jpg

As are all the other locos in the collection, just the windscreens in this one loco have gone completely opaque. Now assuming that the driver isn't smoking sixty a day in there, something has gone seriously wrong here.

Has anyone else experienced a horror like this and will Bachmann be sufficiently moved to sell me a replacement front windscreen set if I email them the picture?

• Like 3

DISASTER!!!

Just putting my locos to bed for the night and have just noticed that the windscreens of my 47975 have fogged badly:

The other end is fine:

As are all the other locos in the collection, just the windscreens in this one loco have gone completely opaque. Now assuming that the driver isn't smoking sixty a day in there, something has gone seriously wrong here.

Has anyone else experienced a horror like this and will Bachmann be sufficiently moved to sell me a replacement front windscreen set if I email them the picture?

Hi John,

I've replaced (or I'm in the progress of replacing) the windscreens with Laser glaze items on mine. But my loco is the early Domino headcode Blue one... but you're welcome to my original screens if you want them. Just drop me a pm and I'll pop them in the post.

Jon

• Like 3

My Parcels livery 47 did the same - but at both ends :scratchhead: it had been in my display cupboard thingy since I bought it - no exposure direct sunlight or anything. Lucky Mr Hanson does some very nice replacement glazing :)

• RMweb Premium

For a modeller? No problem at all - for a manufacturer it would mean adding material to the tooling. Not so easy.

Cheers

Jim

Maybe but look how many other diesels Bachmann has had numberous goes at... 37, 40, 45.. yet this only requires the cabs (and cab door window at the same time as it appears to be part of the same tool) to be addressed.

Just seen the preproduction shots of 47365 on Kernow's website............... It seems an odd livery , I would like to know what the basis is or whether this is a cock up in the making...

Original RFD 3TG, but with revised RFD lettering, logo position, channel tunnel polos and blue roof ? surely not ?

Not original 3tg as the line between the two greys is too far down the body side. Looks ok for the RFD interntional livery apart from the upper grey colour being far too light. Hopefully colour corrected on production run...

My guess is that Bachmann has made a decision (sensible in my view) to change the livery version of this model to avoid producing the same model and livery as the Rail Exclusive ViTrains version of 47365 that is about to arrive. Whilst Bachmann could have changed the loco number, I presume they want to keep the (Queen's) Diamond Jubilee link through the nameplate. The "wrong" upper bodyside colour has presumably not yet been corrected on the pre-production loco. They probably prefer to show the change of livery style than worry about showing an incorrect colour that most of us would expect them to correct in the production version.

OK... because I can't upload to the gallery at the moment, I'll post this here. This is the reworking of a Bachmann 47 bogie that I've in work at the moment... making it all look a little more accurate... and yes, I probably am mad!

Jon.

Looking at this, I think you are mad but my, you're flippin good at it! ;o)

DISASTER!!!

The other end is fine:

John.

Keep your head together. It's frustrating when this happens, but there are solutions.

Chin up!

All.

I'm going to have to have a good read of this thread from page one, but I'm hoping that it's one of those where I could mention the numbers of the 5 loco's I intend to model and someone will miraculously come up with all the roof details I'll require for each.....

Anyone?.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Edited by the penguin of doom

All.

I'm going to have to have a good read of this thread from page one, but I'm hoping that it's one of those where I could mention the numbers of the 5 loco's I intend to model and someone will miraculously come up with all the roof details I'll require for each.....

Anyone?.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Fire away.

You could also check the gallery in this excellent website for help too.

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_intro_v2.php

• Like 1

Fire away.

You could also check the gallery in this excellent website for help too.

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_intro_v2.php

As Jon said, fire away, we'll have you an answer in no time.

Ok chaps.

My comment was a little tongue in cheek, but since you've offered, the loco's I'll be doing are D1502, D1611, D1622, D1673 and D1962. I'd like to know what sort of condition all were in between 1965 - 1967 and to put a spanner in the works, I have differing body styles, (I can't remember in what ratio - serek and the original roof vents, but in an ideal world, the numbers will match).

I did have a brief look at that site you linked to some time ago 47 423 and found it very informative. Since these loco's are in a long queue, I didn't do too much research, but seem to remember one of my chosen quintet had reverse headcode blinds, i.e. Black letters on White background so that will be a must I guess.

Anywho, as I said above, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek, so if you can't help in my quest, no worries.

Cheers.

Sean.

Before I go hunting, this is what comes off the top of the head. As always, the final choice is yours as to how far you go (if it looks right etc...).

D1502 has different cantrail grilles to the bodyshells produced. 1500-1509 had a single vertical bar in the centre. The rest of the class has extra bars fitted to their grilles. Boiler-wise, this one had a Spanner MkIII fitted so, it had a round exhaust.

D1673 (I think) was air braked from new so would have had Serck louvres from Day 1 (if not, very soon after). Clayton boiler on this one so big square exhaust.

D1611 here. Three part grilles and a Spanner boiler (round exhaust).

Edited by Raffles

Ok chaps.

My comment was a little tongue in cheek, but since you've offered, the loco's I'll be doing are D1502, D1611, D1622, D1673 and D1962. I'd like to know what sort of condition all were in between 1965 - 1967 and to put a spanner in the works, I have differing body styles, (I can't remember in what ratio - serek and the original roof vents, but in an ideal world, the numbers will match).

I did have a brief look at that site you linked to some time ago 47 423 and found it very informative. Since these loco's are in a long queue, I didn't do too much research, but seem to remember one of my chosen quintet had reverse headcode blinds, i.e. Black letters on White background so that will be a must I guess.

Anywho, as I said above, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek, so if you can't help in my quest, no worries.

Cheers.

Sean.

I will have a look after my tea for you.

1502/1611 - Spanner (round hole) (1502 will have had original rad grilles till about 69/70, 1611 had air brakes fitted in 5/70 and will have gained the Serek grilles then)

1622 - Stones (Small exhaust near cab) - still in Br green and has old rad grilles in Feb 71

1673 - Clayton (Large square exhaust0 - will have had Serek quite soon after being built.

1962 - Stones (Small exhaust near cab) - was Serek from new

• Like 1

Thanks 47423.

Looks like I'll have to source another s kits stones boiler port then. If I'm correct, these are the ones moulded on the Lima 47's?

Cheers.

Sean.

I cant remember ! Its been a while since my Lima 47 has seen the light of day!!

Anyway here`s sister 47265 (D1965/47804) showing its boiler port.

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0696020983000