Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

• RMweb Premium

Is there a list anywhere which gives the detail diffeences of the various Bachmann releases? There are so many variations of radiator grilles, boiler ports and front ends I am rapidly losing track of which model has which features.

Many thanks.

Geoff Endacott

This sounds an excellent idea! Not seen anything so far but would be useful - I scour Hattons pics myself, I can confirm that the latest refurbish releases all have head code panels as both ends, the Petroleum model has double flush ends, 80s Railfreight red stripe one has panels at both ends, hope this scratches the surface, matrix of differences would be ideal if anyone had the time!!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

For anyone who's interested, Hatton's is now selling the Modelzone Exclusive BR Blue Class 47 1662 Isambard Kingdom Brunel for £80.00 http://www.ehattons.com/70413/Bachmann_Branchline_31_650M_Class_47_1662_Isambard_Kingdom_Brunel_in_BR_blue_Modelzone_Exclusive_/StockDetail.aspx

Other retailers may be selling it too; I haven't checked.

EDIT: BTW, new not pre-owned.

Edited by brushman47544

Is there a list anywhere which gives the detail diffeences of the various Bachmann releases? There are so many variations of radiator grilles, boiler ports and front ends I am rapidly losing track of which model has which features.

Many thanks.

Geoff Endacott

This is a good idea Geoff.

Perhaps we could post pictures in this thread to show what is available. I have 5 waiting for detailling etc and am still not sure I have the correct ones for the loco's I want to model and am not sure if there are more suitable versions available for my particular needs.

A picture of any unmodified Bachmann 47 will surely help others to make informed decisions and I am happy to trawl through my stock boxes to find mine and post pictures over the weekend.

What do others think?

Cheers.

Sean.

An excellent idea - my interest would have been for a 4-digit train reporting box version with serck rad shutters (one of the early Green FYE was like this)... and there's a current one too... but I'm not sure what the tank combinations are ... other than just wholly awfully wrong on the early ones. Still... nothing that a bit of modelling, sharp knives, saws, plasticard and wire cant sort ;-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For anyone who's interested, Hatton's is now selling the Modelzone Exclusive BR Blue Class 47 1662 Isambard Kingdom Brunel for £80.00 http://www.ehattons.com/70413/Bachmann_Branchline_31_650M_Class_47_1662_Isambard_Kingdom_Brunel_in_BR_blue_Modelzone_Exclusive_/StockDetail.aspx

Other retailers may be selling it too; I haven't checked.

EDIT: BTW, new not pre-owned.

I wonder if any of the Rail Technical Services 47 might turn up on the market yet? Modelzone in Harrogate I think has them until near the end.

I wonder if any of the Rail Technical Services 47 might turn up on the market yet? Modelzone in Harrogate I think has them until near the end.

You mean like this:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-31-650W-Class-47-The-Royal-Army-Ordnance-Corps-47972-Limited-Edition-/291061158394?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item43c498d1fa

• RMweb Gold

Does it have the correct roof details?

Geoff Endacott

Not a happy bunny having paid the modelzone price for this one! :nono:

Is same body shell as D1677 so to answer Geoff's query yes has correct serck radiators and square boiler port recess with round port therein.

Cheers

Phil

I wonder if any of the Rail Technical Services 47 might turn up on the market yet? Modelzone in Harrogate I think has them until near the end.[/quote

They were going for £50 before they went bust

I bought my first one at full price when they were released, but when they became £50 I snapped a few more up!

A body shell or two may have been swapped over and boiler port plates changed to suit, but these are all on former 47972 chassis- not the greatest picture, but you get the idea.post-18670-0-95334900-1390321985.jpg

Locos are 47222 Appleby-Frodingham, 47380 Immingham, 47596 Aldeburgh Festival and 47579 James Nightall G.C.

Edited by 45059
  • Like 5

Which of the current Bachmann 47s would be suitable to put under a 47 Windsor Castle body shell?

Not sure what you're looking for. If you want correct under frame detail then probably none are suitable as 47/8 would have extended range tanks however depends if the under frame is different on a version with cutaway buffer beams. If not the current release of firefly might work.

If you picked up Windsor castle body shell cheaply on ebay or at a show, you might want to check the colour of the lower edge. Bach seems to have shifted a whole load of body's that had a beige lower body rather than the correct white lower sides. As this was correct on the release I'm forced to believe they got the colour wrong and redid the body's in correct colour before shifting incorrect bodies later. I have both so can confirm there is defo a difference and also explains the number of bodies around selling circa £10-12, Mine will disappear under a coat of paint sometime making this low cost way to a br blue late 80s version for which Bach have yet to fulfil.

Not sure what you're looking for. If you want correct under frame detail then probably none are suitable as 47/8 would have extended range tanks however depends if the under frame is different on a version with cutaway buffer beams. If not the current release of firefly might work.

If you picked up Windsor castle body shell cheaply on ebay or at a show, you might want to check the colour of the lower edge. Bach seems to have shifted a whole load of body's that had a beige lower body rather than the correct white lower sides. As this was correct on the release I'm forced to believe they got the colour wrong and redid the body's in correct colour before shifting incorrect bodies later. I have both so can confirm there is defo a difference and also explains the number of bodies around selling circa £10-12, Mine will disappear under a coat of paint sometime making this low cost way to a br blue late 80s version for which Bach have yet to fulfil.

Thanks for the info. I had seen the body shell on eBay and was going to get one. Just needed to know what chassis to plonk it on. I don't think I will bother now if they aren't correct. Much appreciated!! 

I got one of the wrong "Windsor castle" body shells to play with, name, number and intercity came off easy so I thought is there a mainline 47 with this headcode and colour scheme ........... NO !!!! :-(

I have one of these shells as well, mine became 825 using a chassis from D1547. The headlight had to wired up to work, and you'll need to change the boiler port- although I forgot about this until after the loco had been weathered... Yes, I did swear!

To answer your question Sean, speak to Brian at Shawplan and ask him for a pack of boiler blanking plates, catalogue number EEDP47-15. They come with both flavours (round and square) for the different types of boiler. If the body has been fitted with a moulded blanking plate you'll need to shave off the moulding and then replace with the correct type to suit your loco.

Hope that was of some use. Cheers Murray.

I have one of these shells as well, mine became 825 using a chassis from D1547. The headlight had to wired up to work, and you'll need to change the boiler port- although I forgot about this until after the loco had been weathered... Yes, I did swear!

To answer your question Sean, speak to Brian at Shawplan and ask him for a pack of boiler blanking plates, catalogue number EEDP47-15. They come with both flavours (round and square) for the different types of boiler. If the body has been fitted with a moulded blanking plate you'll need to shave off the moulding and then replace with the correct type to suit your loco.

Hope that was of some use. Cheers Murray.

And painted the window frames yellow.

I got one of the wrong "Windsor castle" body shells to play with, name, number and intercity came off easy so I thought is there a mainline 47 with this headcode and colour scheme ........... NO !!!! :-(

Exactly what I did... The combo of flush at 1 end is the killer. I did find a few mainline examples with extended yellow up top with one being a Scottish namer. However my layout really needs more plain blue 47s (and 37s too) as I've chased too many multicolour sector machines so current thinking is will vanish under banger blue as soon as all track down on layout which will be the end of a 4 yr job...

Exactly what I did... The combo of flush at 1 end is the killer. I did find a few mainline examples with extended yellow up top with one being a Scottish namer. However my layout really needs more plain blue 47s (and 37s too) as I've chased too many multicolour sector machines so current thinking is will vanish under banger blue as soon as all track down on layout which will be the end of a 4 yr job...

Good luck with that Matt, be careful as the lines of those stripes may well show through after you've sprayed it blue.

The trouble isn't with the coverage Phil, it's that those stripes have a physical ridge to them, so will continue to show as stripes in the blue. I remember when Modelzone also had 47612 Titan for sale at £50, but as this (in old I/C livery) would provide the same problems, my second Titan became 515 night mail in the same livery.

The trouble isn't with the coverage Phil, it's that those stripes have a physical ridge to them, so will continue to show as stripes in the blue. I remember when Modelzone also had 47612 Titan for sale at £50, but as this (in old I/C livery) would provide the same problems, my second Titan became 515 night mail in the same livery.

Great minds think alike, I did 613 and 515 with my two Inter City 47s. 515 has different tanks so I swapped them from 47035 with slight modification.

Cheers Peter