Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

Good luck with that Matt, be careful as the lines of those stripes may well show through after you've sprayed it blue.

Cheers will strip or rub back before priming and painting. I've usually found halfords primers pretty good followed by rail match paints thro a badger 200 airbrush although toying with upgrading to a neo...

Havent Halfords primers gone acrylic now? Will they still take enamel ?

Cheers

Phil

It's not a true acrylic but I can't remember the exact composition... there are two types (at least) -  normal, and "plastic" for applying to plastic parts such as bumpers that flex. I use the normal grey (or white sometimes) ... and red, and it covers both plastics and etched components really well. It dries to give a good base for applying enamels in my experience... I too use Railmatch enamels. You can buy just the paint in a tin, which then needs thinning, but for thinning you still need to use cellulose thinners... and high gloss thinners are recommended rather than the usual rough-cut brush cleaning stuff. James Newitt has done this through an airbrush and the results compared to the Halfords rattle can are startling... very, very smooth. But I still just used the rattle can for my projects... yes, it's fine!

It's not a true acrylic but I can't remember the exact composition... there are two types (at least) -  normal, and "plastic" for applying to plastic parts such as bumpers that flex. I use the normal grey (or white sometimes) ... and red, and it covers both plastics and etched components really well. It dries to give a good base for applying enamels in my experience... I too use Railmatch enamels. You can buy just the paint in a tin, which then needs thinning, but for thinning you still need to use cellulose thinners... and high gloss thinners are recommended rather than the usual rough-cut brush cleaning stuff. James Newitt has done this through an airbrush and the results compared to the Halfords rattle can are startling... very, very smooth. But I still just used the rattle can for my projects... yes, it's fine!

Last couple of projects Ive been up to ( more coaches! ), Ive tried the Halfords plastic white primer Jon - seems to give a bit more of a smoother finish than the standard white primer, but as you say, the standard primer is more than adequate.

All the stock in the photos on my gallery, have had Halfords standard primer used on them.

cheers

Andy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

As mentioned a few posts back, here is what info I have on my Bachmann 47's. Bear in mind though that mine are a hybrid of box/body/chassis and not complete off the shelf loco's.

Firstly, the box labels.....

32-801DS - D1746 Two Tone Green with Digital sound on board.

37-802 - 47 035 Rail Blue with full Yellow ends and domino headcode box.

37-803 - 47 148 Rail Blue with full Yellow ends and 4 digit headcode box.

Next, the 21 pin chassis ready for each of my loco's.....

post-6920-0-83440500-1391507117.jpg

..... and then, 2 x bodies, 47 035 and 47 148, note the differing radiator grilles but the boiler ports are the same.....

post-6920-0-48372800-1391507134.jpg

post-6920-0-61844600-1391507149.jpg

I always have trouble differentiating between boiler ports and what was fitted to which, so for my part, this is the sort of information I'd like on which Bachmann loco's are available.

Cheers.

Sean.

Cheers.

Sean.

Careful Sean, I fell for that too. 47035 has marker lamp panel with black surround rather than the domino headcode box which was a pastic sheet fitted to the original glazed panel. I had to glaze mine to get the 4-digit headcode box - easier than replacing the rad grills on 148.

Ah yes.

Good point Jon. Of course, I'm a bit of a luddite with dominoes since I model the 4 charactor types only.

I'm not bad at 5's and 3's though.....

I tried to show the roof detail in my snaps but if anyone needs a front end piccy just say so.

Cheers.

Sean.

Edited by the penguin of doom

I bought a second hand 32-803 47 148 recently. It turned out to be a very good runner so definitely want to keep it - wanted a blue one to try fitting a sound chip - haven't done that yet so it's still on dc.  As in your pic above it has 4 figure head codes, round boiler exhaust - and the early 3 part fixed rad grills (which I hadn't noticed when I bought it).  I'd like to change the headcodes to dominoes to match the other blue diesels I have but not sure about the rad grills. All I can find out so far is that 47s with the 3 part grill seem to have had the 2 part serck opening ones fitted when they had dual brakes added  - but unsure whether they were all done before the domino era.  Can't find a pic of one with dominoes and 3 part grill. Can anyone point me in the right direction about this please?

Hi all.

As mentioned a few posts back, here is what info I have on my Bachmann 47's. Bear in mind though that mine are a hybrid of box/body/chassis and not complete off the shelf loco's.

Firstly, the box labels.....

32-801DS - D1746 Two Tone Green with Digital sound on board.

37-803 - 47 148 Rail Blue with full Yellow ends and 4 digit headcode box.

Next, the 21 pin chassis ready for each of my loco's.....

attachicon.gif20140204_091949.jpg

..... and then, 2 x bodies, 47 035 and 47 148, note the differing radiator grilles but the boiler ports are the same.....

attachicon.gif20140204_091931.jpg

attachicon.gif20140204_091838.jpg

I always have trouble differentiating between boiler ports and what was fitted to which, so for my part, this is the sort of information I'd like on which Bachmann loco's are available.

Cheers.

Sean.

OK Sean, this is not by any means an exhaustive list, but having just had a look at my 'standard'  Bachmann 47 fleet hopefully this will start the ball rolling.

Spanner boiler, which is the round type.

Clayton or Stones boiler, which to keep things simple are the square (or rectangular) ones.

Spanner type fitted to:

D1500 Two tone green, not plated over.

145 non standard (Tinsley) blue.

406 Old I/C

461 Old I/C

474 Parcels red/grey

475 Transpennine.

560 Blue, not plated over.

572 Large logo

573 Original Network Southeast.

975 Dutch.

Clayton/Stones:

079 GWR green.

190 Railfreight triple grey, petroleum sector.

301 Railfreight grey large logo.

522 LNER green

535 Large logo

612 Old I/C

710 Scot rail.

715 Revised Network Southeast.

745 RES

834 I/C swallow

835 I/C swallow

972 Technical services.

Hope these help, Murray.

Edited by 45059

I'll see if my Dominoes are removable Bill.

If they are, you can have them.

Cheers.

Sean.

Thanks, Sean!  If you'd like headcodes in return it's a good swap.

Last time I fitted dominoes to a 47 (2 Heljan ones) I scanned the front of an old Lima 47 and printed the panel out, then cut them out and put them behind the Heljan clear headcode panel.  Didn't look too bad really.

OK Sean, this is not by any means an exhaustive list, but having just had a look at my 'standard'  Bachmann 47 fleet hopefully this will start the ball rolling.

Spanner boiler, which is the round type.

Clayton or Stones boiler, which to keep things simple are the square (or rectangular) ones.

Stones type fitted to:

D1500 Two tone green, not plated over.

145 non standard (Tinsley) blue.

975 Dutch.

Clayton/Stones:

079 GWR green.

190 Railfreight triple grey, petroleum sector.

972 Technical services.

Hope these help, Murray.

No Spanner then?  

Bachmann's 47s really are frustrating for late sixties use, because they haven't released the most common combinations even now, such as green small yellow panel with Serck shutters, or blue with Sercks and headcodes still in use.  Annoying, because this covers the first decade of service and over half the class.  Approx.

Edited by 'CHARD

No Spanner then?  

Bachmann's 47s really are frustrating for late sixties use, because they haven't released the most common combinations even now, such as green small yellow panel with Serck shutters, or blue with Sercks and headcodes still in use.  Annoying, because this covers the first decade of service and over half the class.  Approx.

Sorry, I was meant to be going upstairs to play trains do some modelling when I saw Sean's post, so the list got put up in a bit of a hurry. Now edited!

Precision labels do  self adhesive dominoes, which I have used quite effectively on my 47035, after removing the raised light lenses first. I sprayed with with several layers of clear first, to give the Perspex cover look.

Jon020, on 04 Feb 2014 - 20:44, said:snapback.png

You're right about when the shutters got fitted. Not sure whether some western one retained vacs only until late - I'm sure they did. I'd browse loco images on here http://www.class47.c...=0&s_loco=47001

HTH

Jon

Thanks for the heads-up on this, Jon.  I'm on the case, looks an excellent site. Ta

Found pics of 47 148, one in 1975 in blue, headcodes, 3 part fixed grills, and 1978 with serck rad grills, and dominoes.  So somewhere in those 3 years it got dual brakes and  bodywork mods. I shall continue looking at other numbers, this is getting intriguing.

Precision labels do  self adhesive dominoes, which I have used quite effectively on my 47035, after removing the raised light lenses first. I sprayed with with several layers of clear first, to give the Perspex cover look.

Precision labels look good.  (recommended over on the Dapol western thread). This was my first attempt at 47 dominoes, scanned the body of the old  Lima model (left) printed out scan and put it behind panel of Heljan 47 (middle). 2 tone green Bachmann on right with headcodes has a slightly recessed panel with black surround (teh blue 47 148 with headcodes is same). Am I right in thinking that a domino era loco should have a flush headcode panel? Did they fit the domino code over the old recessed panel then?

post-4032-0-09533000-1391609161.jpg

Cheers.

Sean.

Careful Sean, I fell for that too. 47035 has marker lamp panel with black surround rather than the domino headcode box which was a pastic sheet fitted to the original glazed panel. I had to glaze mine to get the 4-digit headcode box - easier than replacing the rad grills on 148.

Hi Jon020, just spotted your earlier post which explained my query in my last  post about 47 headcode box modifications when dominoes fitted.

Thanks,

Bill

Sounds like a fair swap Bill.

Leave it with me and I'll PM you

Murray, thanks for taking the time to post the list. I'll help me and others I'm sure.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi Sean,

Taken body off 47148 (only one I've got with all the body screws left, I think). Can't see how headcode panel comes off, if in fact it does. Found article by George Dent in Sept 2008 Model Rail where he removes printed codes on a green Bachmann 47 with t-cut form inside  then  re codes with precison labels ones. Should the clear panels come off (the Heljan ones just press in).

cheers

Bill

Hi Bill.

I checked 47 035 earlier and it appears that the headcode dominoes are part of the main moulding but the thought was there.

Sorry if I got your hopes up.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi Sean,

No worries mate, it was very good of you to try, would have been a logical exchange! 

Found same on 47148 as you say, headcode window moulded in.

Think I'll get the precison labels  set as suggested above (if I can find an appropriate number  for a fixed 3 part grill round boiler exhaust domino headcode loco!).

Actually I'm not sure how Bachmann have moulded a clear panel as part of  the body - at first I thought it must be all clear then spray painted but the inside looks like blue coloured plastic - crafty moulding.

Thanks again, cheers,

Bill

edited to add content

Edited by railroadbill

• RMweb Gold

Hi Sean,

No worries mate, it was very good of you to try, would have been a logical exchange! 

Found same on 47148 as you say, headcode window moulded in.

Think I'll get the precison labels  set as suggested above (if I can find an appropriate number  for a fixed 3 part grill round boiler exhaust domino headcode loco!).

Actually I'm not sure how Bachmann have moulded a clear panel as part of  the body - at first I thought it must be all clear then spray painted but the inside looks like blue coloured plastic - crafty moulding.

Thanks again, cheers,

Bill

edited to add content

Answer is they haven't - it will push out and yes you can clean it up to remove the printed headcodes on it

But you will do better to use precision label headcodes.

We don't worry about illumination so have adopted the following procedure

Cut a piece of black plasticard (try clear if you want illumination) to be an interference fit in the aperture. Lay a strip of double sided tape on to this - let it lap over the ends, that will hold it securely in place once fitted. Stick selected codes on to tape - you will find you can prod them around to get alignment/spacing correct, a cocktail stick is good for this.

When happy place self adhesive box supplied with headcodes over the front having trimmed it to shape - sticky side down so it sticks, check spacing is correct for boxes printed on to this. Having done this you should now have no visible tape. Fit mounted codes in to aperture and finally add glazing cut from clear model box acetate sheet. Push the codes forward so they sit right behind the glazing when it is flush - the bit of stickiness from the exposed ends of the tape is enough to hold all securely in place.

Have a look at my thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80301-d6992-from-Bachmann-37254/ for the end result - have 6885, D66xx 1662 and 1669 on the work bench awaiting the same treatment

Cheers

Phil