Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

I'm waiting to see what 47256 is like when that arrives. The updated Bachmann website image shows 47256 with the correct tanks, and I've now been able to look at the Modelzone L/E 1662 in BR Blue and that is correct too. So the correct tanks can be used with early body tooling. If they get discounted enough, I may buy 47001 and 47256, swop the bodies and sell 47256 as I have enough green 47s already. Makes it all the more concerning that 47001 is wrong as it clearly need not have been. Surely someone at Bachmann checks this sort of thing before the production run is authorised.

The underframe tank moulding clips into the main chassis frame (at least on 47 710 it does) the same as Heljan 47's - perhaps easier to just change over the tank assy ?  What is annoying, is that the correct tank moulding WAS available, as it was used on Rails L/E 47 461 Charles Rennie Mac............

Furthermore, if only they'd gone for 001 in post 1983 condition (with headlight) then they'd be able to use the far superior body they have as well.

Conclusion; a needless 'pig's ear'.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone had a close look at the new Kernow Bachmann OO gauge WR class 47's ?

The use of number/name combo  D1670 'Mammoth' takes me back to the old Hornby one in

the 1970's-1980's. It seems to have both the WR red spot route classification, and the steam era shedplate missing though.

Any other problems with this model?

• RMweb Premium

Anyone had a close look at the new Kernow Bachmann OO gauge WR class 47's ?

The use of number/name combo  D1670 'Mammoth' takes me back to the old Hornby one in

the 1970's-1980's. It seems to have both the WR red spot route classification, and the steam era shedplate missing though.

Any other problems with this model?

From Kernow's photos, the main things seem to be correct, i.e. size of small yellow panel (for the first time as far as I am aware - previously they were too wide), underframe water/fuel tanks and the boiler port on the roof is correct for a Clayton fitted loco. Certainly good enough for me - I've ordered one.

Roof colour looks OK ?

The engine access panels were fiberglass to allow light in they were not normally painted

There is too much paint on the roof. The area by the roof hatches is also translucent and should have no paint on it.

Al Taylor

I'm waiting to see what 47256 is like when that arrives. The updated Bachmann website image shows 47256 with the correct tanks, and I've now been able to look at the Modelzone L/E 1662 in BR Blue and that is correct too. So the correct tanks can be used with early body tooling. If they get discounted enough, I may buy 47001 and 47256, swop the bodies and sell 47256 as I have enough green 47s already. Makes it all the more concerning that 47001 is wrong as it clearly need not have been. Surely someone at Bachmann checks this sort of thing before the production run is authorised.

47256 has arrived at Rails and it appears to have the correct underframe arrangement, but...

...it has the rivets around the cab windows... ugh! :banghead:

Still, I'm very tempted. Has anyone attempted to pare these off and patch paint please? It doesn't *look* all that difficult to accomplish...

47256 has arrived at Rails and it appears to have the correct underframe arrangement, but...

...it has the rivets around the cab windows... ugh! :banghead:

Still, I'm very tempted. Has anyone attempted to pare these off and patch paint please? It doesn't *look* all that difficult to accomplish...

I have done it on a few of the early 47035 models. It's not too hard just take your time you don't want to remove to much.

Cheers Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks James

Luckily as a Charity we don't have to pay ebay fees.

As a general update

For the first time ever in the history of the Group, the demand for this model has outstripped our stock overnight! I got to work and ebay was sold out and our website sales over subscribed !

We have placed a top up order with Bachmann, but you may be contacted later, to ask if you will accept a short delay in delivery or if you would like a refund

I am totally stunned at the interest this loco has generated

Thanks to you all and don't forget to check out all the other Bachmann rolling stock we are selling through eBay. All profits go towards the ongoing restoration of 37003 at the Mid Norfolk Railway

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I heard at Model Rail Scotland that the new boss of Bachmann has agreed to all future named locomotives will have etched plates supplied with the loco.

John

That is good news, as long as Bachmann ensures that the etched plate fits completely over the top of the printed nameplate. I've had a couple of locos where it doesn't - e.g. Class 43 842 Royal Oak - and it's a pain having to remove it.

That is good news, as long as Bachmann ensures that the etched plate fits completely over the top of the printed nameplate. I've had a couple of locos where it doesn't - e.g. Class 43 842 Royal Oak - and it's a pain having to remove it.

The printed nameplates on 842 are much too big.

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold

Saltburn-by-the-Sea looks like it might have that problem as well.