Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

And 47001 still has rivits on window frames

That is very disappointing to hear. Maybe I won't be replacing all my Heljan 47s after all. At least it will save me money.

I know it's not impossible to fix but I have too many other projects to get on with to take on any more. 

I'm a big fan of Bachmann generally, but I think they've cut one corner too many there, especially on a loco costing over £200 in the case of the sound version.

Edited by Waverley West

• RMweb Premium

I wasn't really expecting anything else concerning the rivets on 47001. Bachmann has enough of a backlog with design and tooling across the range that I couldn't see the cab tooling being corrected at this stage. But I could have lived with that, it's the incorrect tanks that jar most. Does make you wonder about quality assurance/control when the tanks on 47436 are "correct" and what should be on 47001.

Whilst I understand and accept that we now have to pay more for our models, in return I expect them to be correct.

I wasn't really expecting anything else concerning the rivets on 47001. Bachmann has enough of a backlog with design and tooling across the range that I couldn't see the cab tooling being corrected at this stage. But I could have lived with that, it's the incorrect tanks that jar most. Does make you wonder about quality assurance/control when the tanks on 47436 are "correct" and what should be on 47001.

Whilst I understand and accept that we now have to pay more for our models, in return I expect them to be correct.

Interesting what you say, Andrew. I could live with incorrect tanks more easily than the look of that front with the riveted windows. It completely spoils the look of the loco for me at first glance, whereas I'd have to find out whether or not the tanks were right.

I'd definitely agree with you about accuracy now that we're being asked to pay so much. I have become far more choosy over which locos I do and don't buy over the past year or two and the rate of new purchases has plummeted, admittedly partly because I am in the fortunate position of having built up most of my collection when prices weren't so steep. For me to fork out a significant sum of money on a new loco now, it's going to have to be good and a whole lot better than I already have.

• Like 2

I was planning to buy 2 banger blue duffs as I have been waiting ages for accurate 47/0s.

I am really disappointed that Bachmann have still used the cabs with rivets and have mucked up the tanks.

There is no excuse, with the huge amount of data available on line, for making these errors on locos costing over £100. I could correct these errors but will not do so on brand new models. Similar arguments apply to the Dapol 73s.

O well, that is money saved for other projects!

I don't know where this alternative tank design comes from as I have never seen a 47 sporting those, they are just wrong plain and simple.

It looks to me like there's two styles of Bachmann 47s that have split paths somewhere in the past - the 47/0 which has the rivetted windows and ex-Class 57 tanks, and the 47/4 (and variations thereof as well as the mid-life 47/3) that has the correct body and variations of correct tanks. It's a shame that Bachmann haven't binned the incorrect 47/0 tooling and just stuck with the 47/4 (how many people would have minded a headlight for the sake of having correct tanks and windows?)

Dave

I don't know where this alternative tank design comes from as I have never seen a 47 sporting those, they are just wrong plain and simple.

Class 47's basically had one of four types of underframe tanks.

1. Battery boxes with water boiler tanks each side - this is what should be fitted to 47 001 - Heljan got this style of tanks correct - why not Bachmann ? 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blackwatch55013/5491660273/in/photolist-9nhcgP-bSZVxD-bASPFM-q2FxFZ-baMFK-3kjE8C-4ag5Ts-9wJ1hi-3F51Hq-dVqgak-qf431C-jxxK8e-2z9k9j-BQfRHn-dePpvJ-e88KN2-6x4kEE-7xQaQ8-gg73r6-BM69gS-9S7RVK-aAf9xq-gY4Kc4-9BiEom-p7A2hL-9qdmin-pftueb-7LtyCb-5quT6E-6aPvUy-rcZRMH-pGqLEh-kPrqHY-pDHqbz-b7PdtT-9U2zW2-ptSXyn-e9Q52A-nekCc4-qi7d7C-aEVLhJ-DvhCqf-p1ndNx-cJMdxj-C6cdHX-75mptF-9xRGu5-moZfDM-CgDGx6-e268ER

Later when boilers were isolated/removed some had the tanks removed also - leaving just the battery boxes with a space in between

2. Battery boxes with early style aux long range fuel tank.

3. Battery boxes with later style aux long range fuel tank

These were fitted to some 47/4's / 47/6's  + 47/7's & 47/8's to extend the running range between refueling.

4. Battery boxes ONLY 

The main 47 fuel tank being inside

Class 57's had further variations

Edited by tractor_37260

I didn't expect the rivet window screen to be changed as they didn't announce a re tool at all but those battery boxes don't look anything like the original image of the model or the real thing ( hattons still has the original Bachmann image which is unweathered and the tanks look like 035 ).

Glad I'm not actively modelling blue stuff just at the moment as I'd be a it disappointed.

I think I'll get one of the cheap RES ones instead !

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann may well have intended all along to use its incorrect original 47/0 underframe tooling for 47001, but their catalogue and website images gave a different impression. If you look at various images on the website, you can see that 47001, 47436 plus the newly announced 47346 all have the same underframe tanks, the different photos covering both sides:

47001 (No.2 end): http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/branchline/31-659DS.jpg&cat_no=31-659DS&info=0&width=600&height=219

47436 (No.1 end): http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/branchline/31-660.jpg&cat_no=31-660&info=0&width=600&height=213

47346 (No. 2 end): http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/branchline/31-661DS.jpg&cat_no=31-661DS&info=0&width=600&height=213

It seems likely this was purely chance based on photoshopping a previous model rather than a demonstration of intent, which is a shame since Bachmann must surely be aware from all the comments on forums etc. that its original 47/0 tooling was wrong. Now that the correct tooling is available it really should have been used.

Anyway, I have contacted Bachmann via its website and will see what they say.

EDIT: ref to 47256 deleted as the latest website image seems to show the correct tanks.

Edited by brushman47544

If anyone wants either of these, I'd advise using Kernow.  You'll see why!  Although might change once they're in stock.

Yes they did change - (L/L 47 436)  £104-96 yesterday and £114.96 today !  - dam I should have ordered one last night, but if the truth be told,  "do I really need it - NO"  - a lot to be said for "sleeping on it"

Edited by tractor_37260

• RMweb Gold

Without wishing to start another price increase debating thread - I believe there was a price increase on the 47 models just before release, which probably explains that erroneous price (well it wasn't pre-increase)

They can increase their prices all they want but until they stop making basic errors my cash will stay in my wallet.

Rivets? Really? How many times has this been mentioned in the press?

Bachmann are either lazy, arrogant or ignorant.

Locomotion, SLW - please save us from this shoddy nonsense, there's money to be made.

Edited by wirey33
  • Like 2

I can't believe Bachmann has realised 001 with those rivets- an error that was criticized 10 years ago.

Makes you wonder if the body is also going to wobble like it did on the 035 models as well! :scratchhead:

The window rivets combined with those tanks have convinced me that I do not want this loco, so that's saved a few quid.

Afraid I have to agree. Bach would have sold 2-3 plain blue 47s to me but I didn't want the weathered version as would be renumbering and weathering myself, and I'm not a fan of dcc sound. Still was going to go for sound version and shift the sound kit through eBay to recover the difference... But then I saw the pics and fact that they're using their first gen 47 which wasn't good on many fronts (window rivets, under frame tanks, wobbling chassis?). Not worth the effort... I have several spare bodyshell and will do my own banger blue one. I have ordered a large logo one though and may get others depending how looks in flesh.

M

• RMweb Premium

I'm waiting to see what 47256 is like when that arrives. The updated Bachmann website image shows 47256 with the correct tanks, and I've now been able to look at the Modelzone L/E 1662 in BR Blue and that is correct too. So the correct tanks can be used with early body tooling. If they get discounted enough, I may buy 47001 and 47256, swop the bodies and sell 47256 as I have enough green 47s already. Makes it all the more concerning that 47001 is wrong as it clearly need not have been. Surely someone at Bachmann checks this sort of thing before the production run is authorised.