Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

Evening Everybody.

Having learnt a few lessons with 47576! We have just received TWO 47436's from Bachmann this morning, and these are only available via our eBay site.

The 47 is here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162059988117

The big brown box also included some of the newly released modern image Bachmann Wagons, and you can find these in our general shop here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/c37lg/m.html?&_ssc=1

As always, all profits from these sales go straight into the 37003 restoration fund.

Thanks

Martin.

Thanks James
Luckily as a Charity we don't have to pay ebay fees.

As a general update

For the first time ever in the history of the Group, the demand for this model has outstripped our stock overnight! I got to work and ebay was sold out and our website sales over subscribed !
We have placed a top up order with Bachmann, but you may be contacted later, to ask if you will accept a short delay in delivery or if you would like a refund

I am totally stunned at the interest this loco has generated

Thanks to you all and don't forget to check out all the other Bachmann rolling stock we are selling through eBay. All profits go towards the ongoing restoration of 37003 at the Mid Norfolk Railway

• Like 1

Looks great Matabiau. Loving the Prototype APT as well!

For everyone else. We now have our second batch of 47576's in Stock. All on eBay this time! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152087187265

Thanks as always

Martin.

C37LG

A few photos of Kings Lynn in action easily hauling a rake of four Bachmann Mk2 coaches up my steep inclines.

attachicon.gifIMG_0133.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0140.jpg

First thing that seemed a bit odd on L/L 47 436 - the cab front steps stick out too far on my example - and as they are yellow, makes it all the more obvious !  compared to ie a Bach 47 710 etc. Why did they (poorly) paint black rings around the No2 end sealed beam lamps  ??? looks most odd and not prototypical. However Black headcode boxes will sort/hide that. 

It's the most awkward model to get into, a cab door glass that has a body securing tab on, came off and fell into the cab - next job remove the cab moulding to sort that - what a faff !!!  Finally why bother fitting separate wire cab door handrails, but then go on to fit them flush to the bodyside recesses ? where's the logic in that ? 

Otherwise, thankfully, it runs sweetly straight out of the box. next mod the lights for full DCC control, and possibly name and renumber it................................

• RMweb Gold

First thing that seemed a bit odd on L/L 47 436 - the cab front steps stick out too far on my example - and as they are yellow, makes it all the more obvious !  compared to ie a Bach 47 710 etc. Why did they (poorly) paint black rings around the No2 end sealed beam lamps  ??? looks most odd and not prototypical. However Black headcode boxes will sort/hide that. 

It's the most awkward model to get into, a cab door glass that has a body securing tab on, came off and fell into the cab - next job remove the cab moulding to sort that - what a faff !!!  Finally why bother fitting separate wire cab door handrails, but then go on to fit them flush to the bodyside recesses ? where's the logic in that ? 

Otherwise, thankfully, it runs sweetly straight out of the box. next mod the lights for full DCC control, and possibly name and renumber it................................

I've cut off the door window locating lugs on both of mine (earlier examples) - makes no difference to secure body fixing and the sole function seems to be to cause the window to pop out at the least opportune moment! I noticed one of the examples on a retailers website had a window missing already.

• RMweb Premium

I've been having a play with my Bachmann 47436 and turned it into 47467 in its classic faded grubby format circa 1999 -

post-6896-0-02603100-1463667313_thumb.jpg

post-6896-0-30078200-1463667324_thumb.jpg

post-6896-0-84130200-1463667333_thumb.jpg

I've put some more pics on my OMWB thread last week, but thought I'd drop it in a more appropriate thread here as well!

Cheers,

James

• Like 5

I've been having a play with my Bachmann 47436 and turned it into 47467 in its classic faded grubby format circa 1999 -

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I've put some more pics on my OMWB thread last week, but thought I'd drop it in a more appropriate thread here as well!

Cheers,

James

James - you've captured that "faded worn out" look very well indeed - judging by some photos on flickr  - very impressive. Did you swap the complete chassis or just the u/f tanks ?

The cutter's torch looms............................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80226080@N08/7477694552/in/photolist-coM959-gS5wKe-nCK1tt-mh48RH-qdkxGr-e3wGav-abSsnj-d35hjA-dYSmcZ-qQ3dV5-bv98sr-pSohsj-nED3JK-oEHunY-ehSsUD-ncXsv9-qiL2bp-9SM8g8-niDx3u-aZMNrV-nxuwGM-de2DSF-cKXMZC-de2FwK-de2E4R-de2Ego-jy3eTs-d1sroL-dAuDwJ-7Z6Byu-nVDuqy-9Ttm4g-ecoMZC-d1sxE1-de2DHx-qUyqNM-d1sxkS-d1suYd-9ToVxS-coM8Nw-aFnXWJ-dPYi9t-76geZa-C7MRKs-b969AR-oXcKbg-nv2T76-atGSf7-dKWEhw-okgFP3

Edited by tractor_37260

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys! I changed the battery boxes on the 47436, swapped them out for a leftover Heljan moulding, though had to move the Bachmann underframe light switches so they didn't show up through the now-empty space between the boxes! 

The socket holder was just thin plasticard, that was a very late addition too, I thought 'I probably should model that, someone's bound to notice.." Haha! I also added the fire alarm engine cutout switch things made from square plasticard, other than that it's all stock from Bachmann! 

I put in some details about the painting side on my thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/44066-james-makins-workbench-electrostars-90s-gwml-oxfordshire-wells-green-tmd/page-26 - a good fun weathering job there haha! I got a few of the Railfreight Distribution and TTG Trainload Distribution '47s' coming up as my next 'Brush' projects, some great example of decaying locos there crying out to be modelled!!  8)

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys! I changed the battery boxes on the 47436, swapped them out for a leftover Heljan moulding, though had to move the Bachmann underframe light switches so they didn't show up through the now-empty space between the boxes! 

Very effective, but too care worn for me. You say you had to move the light switches, but can you, or anyone else for that matter, please advise how Bachmann deals with the switches on the locos fitted with battery boxes only - I don't have one.

I've cut off the door window locating lugs on both of mine (earlier examples) - makes no difference to secure body fixing and the sole function seems to be to cause the window to pop out at the least opportune moment! I noticed one of the examples on a retailers website had a window missing already.

Drove me mad. I glued them back and they still popped off.  I cut of the lugs on the chassis, I think the 4 four screws should hold the body shell on just fine !!! 

Very effective, but too care worn for me. You say you had to move the light switches, but can you, or anyone else for that matter, please advise how Bachmann deals with the switches on the locos fitted with battery boxes only - I don't have one.

On 47 612 with batt boxes only the switches are in one side of the boxes leaving the centre area clear

• RMweb Premium

It is rather careworn Andrew! It looks a right mess, you wouldn't believe how many Flickr shots I had to go through to get the finish just right haha! I'm amazed how the loco kept its livery for so long, to think it had original Large Logo until 1999 is madness haha!

That is a good question on the battery boxes... When fitting the new battery box arrangement, the Bachmann switches are too far to the centre and dangle too low, so I chopped off the plastic holder and then glued the switch down to the chassis, and they're now hidden away! Presumably Bachmann must have a different position for their own locos with just the battery boxes, I think that other Large Logo 47535 they did is like this?

It is rather careworn Andrew! It looks a right mess, you wouldn't believe how many Flickr shots I had to go through to get the finish just right haha! I'm amazed how the loco kept its livery for so long, to think it had original Large Logo until 1999 is madness haha!

That is a good question on the battery boxes... When fitting the new battery box arrangement, the Bachmann switches are too far to the centre and dangle too low, so I chopped off the plastic holder and then glued the switch down to the chassis, and they're now hidden away! Presumably Bachmann must have a different position for their own locos with just the battery boxes, I think that other Large Logo 47535 they did is like this?

Beneath the various types of 47 tanks Bachmann have craftily designed two pairs of switch holders, one pair raised for the boiler tanks and the other pair slightly lowered for the battery boxes, they are then wired up accordingly. If you look at the underneath of a boiler and battery tank 47 and compare you will notice the switches don't line up. You can swap tanks if you are prepared to unclip the wires from the pcb and change things around a bit, very fiddly but doable. The 47/7 tanks are a direct replacement for the boiler ones without rewiring I believe.

Beneath the various types of 47 tanks Bachmann have craftily designed two pairs of switch holders, one pair raised for the boiler tanks and the other pair slightly lowered for the battery boxes, they are then wired up accordingly. If you look at the underneath of a boiler and battery tank 47 and compare you will notice the switches don't line up. You can swap tanks if you are prepared to unclip the wires from the pcb and change things around a bit, very fiddly but doable. The 47/7 tanks are a direct replacement for the boiler ones without rewiring I believe.

To be honest the "tank switches" especially the tail light ones have a limited appeal/use - 'a light loco backs up to stock (with tail lights on) but before you can couple it up, you need to lift it off the track and switch the tail lights off - ahem - most prototypical - NOT 

If using DCC, it's easy enough to have tail and possibly cab lights F key controlled, the tank switches being removed or by-passed. When using a 47/7 in push mode, you need the tail lights ON with the markers/headlights OFF at the opposite end of the loco, NOT possible with the standard tank switches, as you can only switch the tails off, but not ON on their own.

• Like 1

To be honest the "tank switches" especially the tail light ones have a limited appeal/use - 'a light loco backs up to stock (with tail lights on) but before you can couple it up, you need to lift it off the track and switch the tail lights off - ahem - most prototypical - NOT 

If using DCC, it's easy enough to have tail and possibly cab lights F key controlled, the tank switches being removed or by-passed. When using a 47/7 in push mode, you need the tail lights ON with the markers/headlights OFF at the opposite end of the loco, NOT possible with the standard tank switches, as you can only switch the tails off, but not ON on their own.

Sadly true. However, if you follow the practice of many modellers nowadays by fitting a coupling at one end of a diesel and hoses etc. at the other, it is possible to disable the headlights semi-permanently in order to produce the right appearance.

• RMweb Premium

This is very true, the switches are a bit useless!

Also in reality I always take out the entire cab lighting assembly as part of my detailing process, got a big stack of these hanging around now haha!

Sadly true. However, if you follow the practice of many modellers nowadays by fitting a coupling at one end of a diesel and hoses etc. at the other, it is possible to disable the headlights semi-permanently in order to produce the right appearance.

Yes would agree it's common practice, but that's not much use if you want to "run round" stock at a terminus etc ................

• RMweb Premium

I see Kernow are splitting the N gauge Silver Jubilee sets. If someone does the same for the OO version, I might be tempted by 47164 to convert to a "standard" Stratford silver roof example. But does anyone know how the flags have been printed? Are they over the blue paint and printed like Bachmann printed nameplates, or are they painted on so the loco would need a respray?

I see Kernow are splitting the N gauge Silver Jubilee sets. If someone does the same for the OO version, I might be tempted by 47164 to convert to a "standard" Stratford silver roof example. But does anyone know how the flags have been printed? Are they over the blue paint and printed like Bachmann printed nameplates, or are they painted on so the loco would need a respray?

Everything I've ever seen from Bachmann, it would be printed over the top of the BR blue.

This is supposition though, as I don't have one