Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

Best to contact your retailer for next steps advice. Personally I wouldn't have got as far as the third install: old rule 'one such event, could be chance; two events just the same, stop and fully investigate'.

If I wee the dealer I woul ask two opening questions. Did these locos all run normally on DC ahead of decoder fitting, did the decoders set up normally accepting a new address on programme track?

Its the track cleaner.

I took it out of the circuit.. it (the class 47) stops...

Assuming that the class 47 runs identically in both directions when operated by the Gaugemaster controller alone, there's an unavoidable consequent conclusion about the track cleaner and layout system.

The class 47 has a DC motor in it, and will not run on an AC. Therefore the track cleaner output must either have a significant DC component, or something on the layout at least partially rectifies the track cleaner output to provide DC on the rails. If it is the first of these I would guess that the track cleaner isn't in the best of health, as these devices are typically designed to be symmetrical AC to avoid the very problem you have encountered. The second possibility, one place to look: is the track cleaner powered by an independent mains supply, or by an auxiliary output from the DC controller?

Why only this loco? It may just have a very efficient motor in it that turns on a breath of current.

On another note,

ive now bought three of the "New" large logo 47436,each one has gone "pop" soon after fitting standard 21 pin chip.

Each time burning the wires and motherboard out.

Oh dear!! That doesn't sound promising! Hope you get them sorted soon and its not widespread in that production run

• RMweb Premium

On another note,

ive now bought three of the "New" large logo 47436,each one has gone "pop" soon after fitting standard 21 pin chip.

Each time burning the wires and motherboard out.

That's a little bit worrying! I've got my 47436 (that faded 47467) its managed two full day's running with a Hattons 21 pin but you reckon yours went pop sooner? Watching both this thread and my own loco with interest!!

• Like 1

That's troubling to see, especially as it's your 3rd one Neil.

Seeing that, (and this isn't tongue in cheek) I'm glad I'm sticking to DC and don't have to contend with those issues.

Hopefully Bachmann can sort you out with a PCB that doesn't throw a hissy fit when given a chip that it was intended to receive...

Edited by 45059

That's troubling to see, especially as it's your 3rd one Neil.

Seeing that, (and this isn't tongue in cheek) I'm glad I'm sticking to DC and don't have to contend with those issues.

Hopefully Bachmann can sort you out with a PCB that doesn't throw a hissy fit when given a chip that it was intended to receive...

Where do you stand with getting a replacement DCC chip too?

If the loco was faulty as supplied and its labelled as 'DCC Ready' then I'd really expect Bachmann to either recall them, or replace any DCC chips that get fried through their faulty product.

Ive used just standard green Bachmann 21 pin decoder here,

i always leave air gap between the decoder and pcb board to stop over heating.

But the decoder has melted down onto the pcb each time.

nothing could have short-circuited there metal to metal there could it? would a bit of electrical tape between the chip and the PCB make any difference?

• Like 1

What decoder are you using? Could it be a problem with that particular make/model decoder. I have 9 Bachmann 47's (yes I do rather like them like them :mosking: ) and they are all fitted with Bachmann 36-554's. Never had an ounce of trouble with any of them .The latest one is the new NSE liveried one "Kings Lynn" which was released at the same time as the large logo one and that too I've fitted with a '554.  

Well done Bachmann. I've just bought another weathered BR blue 47001. It was new stock and has the correct underframe tanks. Presumably Bachmann has fitted replacements to those still in its warehouse.

Don't suppose they removed the rivets from the windscreens did they :-)

Well done Bachmann. I've just bought another weathered BR blue 47001. It was new stock and has the correct underframe tanks. Presumably Bachmann has fitted replacements to those still in its warehouse.

That's interesting, any chance of a phot when you have a chance ?

Thought I'd share this pic of 47833 Captain Peter Manisty RN that I have repainted. Quite tricky to do the non-standard livery, and have to get the extra transfers in for the correct font for some of the numbers, but worth it in the end as this engine is special to me having been at the end of a train I waved off as a young guard mascot at 9 years of age to Weardale. 

post-7347-0-19170900-1468496261_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Like 5

Thought I'd share this pic of 47833 Captain Peter Mainsty RN that I have repainted. Quite tricky to do the non-standard livery, and have to get the extra transfers in for the correct font for some of the numbers, but worth it in the end as this engine is special to me having been at the end of a train I waved off as a young guard mascot at 9 years of age to Weardale. 

attachicon.gif20160604_163220.jpg

Manisty, dear boy, Manisty.  It's up there with Lemmy Kilminster, which as every fule kno is (was) actually Kilmister.