Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

Removable spacers sound like a good idea. It could also be a bit tricky – we could end up with wobble like Realtrack’s container wagons. I’m sure JSpencer will put us right. :)

Heeee... The only thing I,m truly feel confident about is that these guys are going to surprise us all with their solution. We won,t be seeing anything second rate here.

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

Has it been indicated whether the headcode pannel will feature user-definable blinds, for example as per Dapol's Western, or pre-printed as per Bachmann's Class 47 etc?

Already discussed back up the thread....hopefully not pre printed on the glazing!

Cheers

Phil

... The only thing I truly feel confident about is that these guys are going to surprise us all with their solution. We won't be seeing anything second rate here.

It is part of the interest, seeing how a determined designer 'gets around' the difficulties in creating a fine RTR model from a subject that poses challenges, to render as an R2 capable commercial OO model. (Two out of two in the more recent 'challenges' that interested me, Ivatt C1 by Bachmann, and Stirling single by Rapido. Aren't I the lucky one?)

It is part of the interest, seeing how a determined designer 'gets around' the difficulties in creating a fine RTR model from a subject that poses challenges, to render as an R2 capable commercial OO model. (Two out of two in the more recent 'challenges' that interested me, Ivatt C1 by Bachmann, and Stirling single by Rapido. Aren't I the lucky one?)

The solution could be several ideas in one. Fine wheels which are narrow and fine flanges, slight cams to lift slightly on tight curves, slightly underscale wheels (worn radias) and so on. everything to squeeze out that last bit of geometry.

I personally was not keen on Rapido's screw on bogie spashers, others don't like the Atlantic's bent cranks (though this feature does not bother me).

Others have suggested a Deltic with user adjustable hight, something I feel will spoil the look when running on a layout with a tight curve somewhere (and edges us back to Bachmann's feature by being too high when running).

The solution could be several ideas in one. Fine wheels which are narrow and fine flanges

That way inevitably leads towards P4 crossing flangeways, otherwise the wheel tyres will not span the crossing gaps and will drop into them.

So many consequences follow which most people would not welcome!

The Nim. 

• RMweb Premium

Stated in an e-mail I received from Accurascale:

"We’re planning so that headcodes can be readily changed as needed."

So they are not going to have 4mm scale roller blinds so you can change the headcode each time it runs with a different train :rtfm: .....not buying one in that case. :mosking: :mosking: :mosking:

The project sounds great, let the team develop it without too many "I want mine to do xyz" please.

• Like 1

The project sounds great, let the team develop it without too many "I want mine to do xyz" please.

I was going to ask for a spilled tea stain on the console of the front cab and an overflowing ashtray in the rear. But I'll wait and just go hassle Hattons for this in the Biffa liveried 66!!!  :sungum:

• Like 1

I was going to ask for a spilled tea stain on the console of the front cab and an overflowing ashtray in the rear. But I'll wait and just go hassle Hattons for this in the Biffa liveried 66!!! :sungum:

You won’t find an overflowing ash tray these days thank goodness. Used to hate taking over a train recently vacated by a smoker. The smell of stale cigarettes was everywhere. On the brake and power handles, the desk, AWS button, the lot! Then your hands stunk. This was way before hand sanitizer, so you had to wait until PNB to wash hands. Cabs are a lot more plesent these days.

Edited by 66738
  • Like 3

That way inevitably leads towards P4 crossing flangeways, otherwise the wheel tyres will not span the crossing gaps and will drop into them.

So many consequences follow which most people would not welcome!

The Nim. 

I have re-wheeled most of my old Lima diesels with Ultrascale 00 wheels. They bump a bit on Peco Code 100 points but other than that, they’re fine.

You won’t find an overflowing ash tray these days thank goodness. Used to hate taking over a train recently vacated by a smoker. The smell of stale cigarettes was everywhere. On the brake and power handles, the desk, AWS button, the lot! Then your hands stunk. This was way before hand sanitizer, so you had to wait until PNB to wash hands. Cabs are a lot more plesent these days.

Ours have had the ashtrays chiselled off, the earlier 66s that were so fitted and the BR ones formerly found on 86s/90s are no doubt spread far and wide thanks to eBay.

TBH in my experience the 'secret smokers' leave the cabs a hell of a lot cleaner than when they found them these days. Often accompanied by a fresh bouquet of air freshener or deodorant...

• RMweb Gold

Ours have had the ashtrays chiselled off, the earlier 66s that were so fitted and the BR ones formerly found on 86s/90s are no doubt spread far and wide thanks to eBay.

TBH in my experience the 'secret smokers' leave the cabs a hell of a lot cleaner than when they found them these days. Often accompanied by a fresh bouquet of air freshener or deodorant...

A bit different from the sat back, cloth cap wearing pipe smoker of the 1970’s though, i’d imagine. Edited by adb968008

Hard to tell at this point, but this isn't a 'one off' or a special run, so we hope to have ongoing availability and future runs of the fleet in various versions and guises.

Thanks for answering my question about the Porterbrook Deltic hopefully order one in the new year.

Samuel. 

• Like 1

As built Deltics had a toilet and wash hand basin fitted, so drivers could go to the toilet and wash their hands any time they liked, as long as the second man could mind the job for a bit. Mind you it can't have been very pleasant with a roaring traction motor blower right beside you!

• RMweb Gold

i bet theres untold and very inventive stories about how drivers that were on their own managed to cope when they really need to take a pee but couldnt leave the footplate!

I thought there was a “box” in the engine room, behind the engine room door that drivers could erm.. tinkle into...at tinkling height, that drained out below ?

I recall going into a US loco, I think like an SD7 or SD9, that had a full loo, with loo roll dispenser in, wash basin etc, inside the nose, that’s real luxury, just needs a mirror, lights so one can comb ones hair.

Here’s a tour of a GE Dash 9’s super loo.., presumably inside the nose too

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=7320gs-kRaA

Edited by adb968008