Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

1 hour ago, 37501 said:

Is this the most anticipated model ever…?

Slightly out of my layout’s time frame of mid 1980s but I am very curious to see how they turn out having pre ordered two Scottish Class 37s from RoS.

Only because Fran and Stephen are feeding us with all the info. This is all their fault!

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Neither notice are from us. Our crew has begun packing but nothing has been sent out yet. People will start pinging later this afternoon though!

Actually, yes it is us!

Thanks for your patience once again.

Cheers!

Fran 

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

There are few iconic classes that have not been covered properly (except until recent years AC electrics, and to a large degree we are getting there).

The 55 is probably the only major significant diesel loco that has not been done to 'modern' standards without glaring errors. The Lima model was always wrong, and the Bachmann model, despite being post 2000 (I think) just had too many compromises to really ever be regarded as a good model even from day 1. Not only the shape and ride height but weird choices of printed panel lines, and lack of tooling variations on the body shell.

Yes the Hornby 31 and 50 have their faults, but they are generally sound and are to modern spec. The Bachmann 37 is generally good (after several false starts); yes the AS model will be significantly better and have much more tooling variations, but in terms of shape and character, the gap between the Bachamnn and AS 37 (and the Hornby and AS 31) will be less than the leap with the Deltic.

This, I sense, is what is driving the Deltic interest, an iconic class never done justice in modern standards.

The Hornby 50 is let down by the cab windscreen and nose end shape, plus it tends to fall apart too easily when dismantled. In addition, I encountered mystery short circuits installing DCC decoders recently on a couple, that went away when I converted back to DC. Add loose fitting bodies and MAZAK rot, means that I would love someone else to do one. Slightly more so than my beloved 40s.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, 97406 said:

The Hornby 50 is let down by the cab windscreen and nose end shape, plus it tends to fall apart too easily when dismantled. In addition, I encountered mystery short circuits installing DCC decoders recently on a couple, that went away when I converted back to DC. Add loose fitting bodies and MAZAK rot, means that I would love someone else to do one. Slightly more so than my beloved 40s.

I agree on the cab windows (never heard of the nose end shape bit - please enlighten).

Aside from a missing vac pipe which Hornby could never provide a spare for, my Class 50 has been excellent; it runs perfectly (even with the roof fan), and its metal is perfect (checked periodically during the time when they were disintegrating). I've had the body off a few times and no ill effects. Its a 2004 production run, from the second batch of 50035 (without traction tyres). I guess I was lucky with getting a good one....!

Only problem is the kinematic coupling which drags single 4 wheel vans off the track, and can cause derailments when pushing stock over reverse curves....

But yes I would go with an all singing all dancing model if one were released.

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, 97406 said:

In addition, I encountered mystery short circuits installing DCC decoders recently on a couple, that went away when I converted back to DC. 

There were issues with circuit boards on early Class 50s. They would blow decoders, but work OK on DC.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 37501 said:

Is this the most anticipated model ever…?

Its almost mimicking real life - 52's now 55's. . There was a equal anticipation for the Dapol Western and similar levels of interaction with Dapol during its development via Dave Jones on this forum. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Its almost mimicking real life - 52's now 55's. . There was a equal anticipation for the Dapol Western and similar levels of interaction with Dapol during its development via Dave Jones on this forum. 

I think I better log off.... 

• Funny 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

I think I better log off.... 

I know - my comment purely relates to the the Dapol Western, I appreciate subsequent events went pear shaped  - no parallel to you our Accurascale implied :)

Edited by MikeParkin65
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I know - my comment purely relates to the the Dapol Western, I appreciate subsequent events went pear shaped  - no parallel to you our Accurascale implied :)

None taken at all Mike, I just get a bad case of cold sweats when I see that particular name for historical reasons. 😆

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Yeah, er well ...   And your point is?  They're two classes that built a tremendous following because of their visual impact and the work they did and both have been modelled in 4mm scale and have got better each time (well in their most recent incarnations).  

But there I think the comparisons start to fade as we had one shockingly disorganised person, in comparison with whom it was easier to herd cats, who subsequently left his then employer to found and wreck his own business.  On the other hand we now have what comes over, and in my experience of them is, a very professional bunch concern who really know what they're at and actually deliver things for which we have paid them.  The two need not be mentioned in the same breath.

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Yeah, er well ...   And your point is?  They're two classes that built a tremendous following because of their visual impact and the work they did and both have been modelled in 4mm scale and have got better each time (well in their most recent incarnations).  

But there I think the comparisons start to fade as we had one shockingly disorganised person, in comparison with whom it was easier to herd cats, who subsequently left his then employer to found and wreck his own business.  On the other hand we now have what comes over, and in my experience of them is, a very professional bunch concern who really know what they're at and actually deliver things for which we have paid them.  The two need not be mentioned in the same breath.

Not so much as a 'point' than an observation. Relax and look forward to your Deltic :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

I agree on the cab windows (never heard of the nose end shape bit - please enlighten).

The profile of the ledge under the cab windows (not sure if ‘nose’ is quite the right term) needs building up with a small piece of plasticard in the centre and some Milliput. The pic of the work in progress before I painted it has got lost in the outage, so I’ll get a pic of the spare body I have that is waiting  for the Shawplan screens and add it to this post. Here’s one of the 50s, which hopefully shows the amended profile.DSCF0355.jpg.cf9691dd3be1fe8911d14cbc13951c0c.jpgDSCF0357.jpg.7ebdd28c35a25d6453550b2303a4f916.jpg

ETA:

20220616_123056.jpg

Apologies to Accurascale for the thread hijack. Back onto Deltics, now :)

Edited by 97406
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

There were issues with circuit boards on early Class 50s. They would blow decoders, but work OK on DC.

I’ve accumulated my 50 fleet from the secondhand market and there are a number of differences inside,

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Neither notice are from us. Our crew has begun packing but nothing has been sent out yet. People will start pinging later this afternoon though!

Actually, yes it is us!

Thanks for your patience once again.

Cheers!

Fran 

Fran the Saron Stone of the model rail world,now you see it,now you dont,ha,tease tease,

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Blimey, talk about opening Pandora's box!

• Funny 3