Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

I remap my loksound decoders to put drive hold on F9 as is customary in the US, where the feature originated and has become standard. Non-US prototype sound projects from ESU that have drive hold still seem pretty rare. It's a tremendous feature.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, aureol40012 said:

Isn’t the best/easiest way of doing this to manually notch the engines to zero and then bring the loco to a controlled stop using the speed control, so it appears to “coast” but is under control as to where it stops?

With the Zimo chips I find it fun to just turn the controller down to zero and the Loco will coast “under its own momentum” then gradually apply the brake using F2 switch on momentary latching, so you can apply brakes only when the button is pressed to slow the Loco to a stop, just like prototype braking.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, murphaph said:
5 hours ago, 55020 said:

I have remapped all of my ESU decoders to have the functions I want to the same F keys.  The fact I can't do this with the handful of Zimo decoders I have doesn't then make that model any poorer.

The latest Zimo decoders do have extensive (beyond NMRA) function remapping, but it does probably need a programmer to manage easily. Not sure if it’s as flexible as ESU though, their function remapping seems to be infinitely tailorable 

17 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

With the Zimo chips I find it fun to just turn the controller down to zero and the Loco will coast “under its own momentum” then gradually apply the brake using F2 switch on momentary latching, so you can apply brakes only when the button is pressed to slow the Loco to a stop, just like prototype braking.

It’s not got a Zimo chip so this isn’t an option….. ;-)

The other locos/drivers at Laburnum Junction are getting restless and want to know why what is so special about the new fangled Deltic that is getting all the attention. And it's purple too!

IMGP9355.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, big jim said:

Tried to resist a ‘mines arrived too’ post but ‘mines arrived too’ royal mail Sunday delivery

don’t think anyone has put a pic of the DPS box though, looks great 

942EE733-20EC-4292-9C8F-85C8DB966FE3.thumb.jpeg.77cfe302712f89992b036873242bfc81.jpeg

a quick scan of the loco, couple of loose bits and a chain undone, I’ll reattach them chain but I won’t bother putting the fiddly bits back on as I tend to have sausage fingers when it comes to knocking of fine detail

very impressed with it, a genuine wow moment when I took it out of the box 

Go on, who did you sleep with to get that so early?!  As I was one of the first to receive mine from Accurascale I thought I’d land on my feet with my Rails order too, as they were paid in full the same day back in 2018.  When did you order yours?  

Saying that, I have previously suspected that things aren’t posted out from Rails in quite the regimented order that Accurascale do it…..!!  Still, I’ve got one to play with so can’t grumble!

• RMweb Gold

Not a clue when I ordered it, couldn’t even remember who I’d ordered it from yet alone what loco I ordered, I certainly wasn’t one if the first to order as it was a last minute decision 

might be that I registered with them as Mr Aaron A Aardvark 

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

I know, it was an observation on the type of braking control I prefer using any chip 😉

Ah, ok, well if we are doing make believe then my preference in that case is shutting off the amps using the power handle and using the loco straight air to bring the 106 ton loco to a stop.

Long term lurker here. Received my Deltic (55005, BR Blue) and as has been said, the detail is stunning. Only had one small step detached as well, which I won't bother refitting as it'll be more hassle than it's worth! 

However, when it comes to running I am having issues. I had the 'wheel flat' problem that has been detailed in this thread which was caused by a couple of small blobs of resin on one wheel. This has been corrected and now runs silently.

The big issue now is derailments. I had one 's' bend on the layout which caused derailments when running in (leading bogie would end up with the leading wheels one side of the rail, middle still on the track and the rear wheels on the other side of the rail). I've adjusted the layout to remove that s bend and it ran round fairly happily.

I also have 2 other 's' bends on the layout (3rd to 4th radius and vice versa), although these have a small straight between the direction change. Unfortunately, when hauling coaches, the coupling jams and derails the trailing bogie pretty every time it goes over these sections of track. I know this issue has been raised above, but has anyone found a fix for it as my Deltic is just parked up at the moment as it's unusable. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, big jim said:

I was convinced I’d dragged 9009 Kidderminster to barrow hill with 50049 but looking back at my pics it was 55019!

E5014991-6A89-42EC-B434-F80BE0995FBA.thumb.jpeg.958b8a7af4bfaff3dde486ce30c2ea8a.jpeg

Close enough to replicate though

At least the d*lt*c will be the correct shade of blue........

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

Ah, ok, well if we are doing make believe then my preference in that case is shutting off the amps using the power handle and using the loco straight air to bring the 106 ton loco to a stop.

Now see you’re being silly, using a Zimo chip would enable that type of braking easily without make believe but a change of chip 😉

Being serious for a moment I am frankly amazed it’s not available on the V5 chips TBH.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, ted633 said:

I also have 2 other 's' bends on the layout (3rd to 4th radius and vice versa), although these have a small straight between the direction change. Unfortunately, when hauling coaches, the coupling jams and derails the trailing bogie pretty every time it goes over these sections of track. I know this issue has been raised above, but has anyone found a fix for it as my Deltic is just parked up at the moment as it's unusable. 

I am presently in correspondence with AS for the same sort of issue, transitioning from a R3 to straight gives a loud clunk from one bogie and a noticeable jump of the bogie, it has derailed regularly over another curve transition as well.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, newbryford said:

At least the d*lt*c will be the correct shade of blue........

Wish I’d have had a tenner on you being the one to comment with those exact words! 

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

This facility is available with the ZTC 511 and 611 which has separate 'regulator' and 'brake' handles.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

This facility is available with the ZTC 511 and 611 which has separate 'regulator' and 'brake' handles.

And on my first DCC controller the Digitrax DCS50

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Now see you’re being silly, using a Zimo chip would enable that type of braking easily without make believe but a change of chip 😉

Being serious for a moment I am frankly amazed it’s not available on the V5 chips TBH.

Purely because I happened to buy this at the same time as D9020 arrived and not for comparison but the new Bachmann 47 has a V5 fitted and has active braking on F2. Not quite the same as the Zimo as braking (including brake sounds) can also be had by closing the throttle (though F2 will stop the loco quicker). The Oxford Rail J27 has a brake on F8 (although it’s an all or nothing brake). . Braking can it seems be had on Loksound. The Deltic has an ‘emergency stop’ on F17 tho it’s a little too dramatic for a normal stop I think (I’ve been playing all afternoon - see my earlier post re ‘What the bloody ‘ell are you doing up there?’ 😂). 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Willoughby Glen said:

So got my D9014 Duke of Wellington and am super impressed.  Couple of minor items to address but thats the fun of modelling.

One thing that has stood out to me, is that it is actually 40 years since I had my first OO Gauge Deltic, a Lima D9003 Meld. How things have changed.

It might have taken 40 years to get to the ultimate Deltic but it really was worth the wait and all at Accurascale should be commended for taking their model to another level and leaving well established manufacturers well behind.

I know people have been talking model of the year but for me its the best OO Loco ever full stop.  

This made me smile,for Meld was the very first locomotive for me as well,my Aunt bought it for me as a present,Christmas 1977,from Beatties at Southgate Circus,N14,the original Southgate Hobbyshop. 

D9008 will be here in the morning and I can’t wait.

Edited by guarded
Additional info
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

I am presently in correspondence with AS for the same sort of issue, transitioning from a R3 to straight gives a loud clunk from one bogie and a noticeable jump of the bogie, it has derailed regularly over another curve transition as well.

If it's the coupling causing the issue on tight curves and S bends, I'm wondering if a set of Hunt couplings might be a fix ? If nothing else works ? Might be worth investigating