Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

25 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

They also said the etched nameplates are factory fitted (which they are not)

I suspect AS did a test fit of the detailed parts and nameplates and then supplied these as review models.

Perhaps Accurascale could confirm what is factory fitted and what is not, as regards to the nameplates / buffer beam detailing / couplings ?

Edited by WisTramwayMan
Spelling

41 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

That sounds the best compromise to me. Someone wanting full pipework OR couplings at both ends, need only treat one end!

And those (like me) that prefer this config (I suspect most people if we did a poll) will be happy too.

An alternative would be to make the supply chain very complex by allowing customer to select their loco end configurations! Costly and confusing to say the least. 

Having a Terminus Station that doesn't work for me, and given how expensive the models are now I'm disinclined to start messing about with them these days.  

I guess we will see what turn's up but if I had ordered via Accurascale I might be inclined to demand my money back but as I ordered via Locomotion and Rails that might be more difficult.

As for 55002 that is one of the models I have ordered but the version of green that it ran in for the final 13 months of service,  it suits the modelling period of my layout and makes a change from BR Blue. Perhaps not overly surprised its later preserved state with the headlight may be less popular. 

1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

That sounds the best compromise to me. Someone wanting full pipework OR couplings at both ends, need only treat one end!

And those (like me) that prefer this config (I suspect most people if we did a poll) will be happy too.

An alternative would be to make the supply chain very complex by allowing customer to select their loco end configurations! Costly and confusing to say the least. 

I prefer this set up, now that I tend to just have set rakes on the layout and only swap loco (or loco direction at least) occasionally, it saves a bit of faffing. Would be interesting to know how the ratio works though, I expect a lot of people will want couplers at both ends for operational flexibility, especially on DC. At least on DCC we can throw a 1 at CV29 if we swap it round!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Detail pipes and plates will be in the baggy and are user fitted for both ends. As @G-BOAF alluded to we test fitted each model to ensure we were happy with them. Tension locks will be on both ends.

Re green handrail, we will have to check with the stock that arrives, but we did specify yellow handrail as per first sample. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 minute ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Detail pipes and plates will be in the baggy and are user fitted for both ends. As @G-BOAF alluded to we test fitted each model to ensure we were happy with them. Tension locks will be on both ends.

Re green handrail, we will have to check with the stock that arrives, but we did specify yellow handrail as per first sample. 

Cheers!

Fran 

Thanks for that info looks like my Deltic's will be safe from ebay then 😀

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

I guess it's less popular as it's a preserved loco with a headlight and so can't represent them in service.

2 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Sales not helped by the fact the NRM are choosing to 'stuff and mount' 55 022. Not sure if it has ever run on both engines' in the two tone green as modelled. 

If it was capable of mainline running it is the one I'd have bought.

I love models of preserved stuff, assuming it can realistically be put on a layout and run. Same reason as to why I don't have a model of Mallard, Duchess of Hamilton and Green Arrow to name a few.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I love models of preserved stuff, assuming it can realistically be put on a layout and run. Same reason as to why I don't have a model of Mallard, Duchess of Hamilton and Green Arrow to name a few.

Showing your age (and mine) there then… Ive seen all 3 of them on the mainline, indeed I saw 46229 same day as 55015 (and it wasn't yet withdrawn).

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Cheers!

Fran 

@Accurascale Fran Shows the respect I have for your research and attention to detail, I just thought you'd identified another variation :) 

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

If I were you I'd just pretend proper railway people were still making the decisions at York rather than the mandarin's from the science museum then invoke 'rule 1' ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

6 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Showing your age (and mine) there then… Ive seen all 3 of them on the mainline, indeed I saw 46229 same day as 55015 (and it wasn't yet withdrawn).

The point is its out of era when it was running!

2 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

If I were you I'd just pretend proper railway people were still making the decisions at York rather than the mandarin's from the science museum then invoke 'rule 1' ;)

Good point, and that might happen in due course but at the moment I aren't short of stuff to drain my wallet!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

On balance, I’ve preferred it when the pipes are fitted, purely because they are a fiddly job to fit and tend to go ‘pyoing’ off the tweezers more times than I wish for. Followed by fighting the carpet monster for minutes/hours. It’s one feature of the Heljan 25 and 86s that I really like. Easy to snip off if/when I fit couplings to one or both ends.

Not that it’s a biggie, tweaking stuff is one of the real pleasures of this hobby and fitting/removing pipes is good practice. 

The big question for me is more a case of ‘To weather, or not to weather’….

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Accurascale Deltics could be the next Bitcoin 🤑

Good, I spent my money on Deltics instead of bitcoin.

😀

I suppose later this year i’ll be able to trade my Deltic for a loaf of bread and get an Accurascale 37 in my change.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 97406 said:

On balance, I’ve preferred it when the pipes are fitted, purely because they are a fiddly job to fit and tend to go ‘pyoing’ off the tweezers more times than I wish for. Followed by fighting the carpet monster for minutes/hours. It’s one feature of the Heljan 25 and 86s that I really like. Easy to snip off if/when I fit couplings to one or both ends.

Not that it’s a biggie, tweaking stuff is one of the real pleasures of this hobby and fitting/removing pipes is good practice. 

The big question for me is more a case of ‘To weather, or not to weather’….

Its probably not a proper solution, but working inside a clear freezer bag (hold the tweeezers through the closed end, and feed the model through the open end can help reduce the pinging off, as can attaching some blu-tak to one end of the offending part - more weight and sticky means less far to 'ping'. both worked well for me when I was re-attaching ATC conduit brackets on a Hornby Castle - one of the smallest parts on any RTR model.

This said I still have not fitted the roof lifting eyes to my Dapol Westerns....!

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Its probably not a proper solution, but working inside a clear freezer bag (hold the tweeezers through the closed end, and feed the model through the open end can help reduce the pinging off, as can attaching some blu-tak to one end of the offending part - more weight and sticky means less far to 'ping'. both worked well for me when I was re-attaching ATC conduit brackets on a Hornby Castle - one of the smallest parts on any RTR model.

This said I still have not fitted the roof lifting eyes to my Dapol Westerns....!

Good ideas. The Blu-Tak one especially. I lost the will to live at the prospect of the Western’s lifting eyes. I’d have settled for moulded! 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Snap! And I tried the same on the Bachmann 43 but the eyes appear to be made of stringy cheese that squashes as soon as it gets a sniff if a locating hole! 

31 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Good ideas. The Blu-Tak one especially. I lost the will to live at the prospect of the Western’s lifting eyes. I’d have settled for moulded! 

I suspect for the Western lifting eyes I will thread a bit of cotton through each one for safety but manoeuvre them with tweezers, and drop super glue into the actual hole (to reduce the risk of glue-covered part messing up the bodyswork...

But this is O/T for the Deltic!

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

I suspect for the Western lifting eyes I will thread a bit of cotton through each one for safety but manoeuvre them with tweezers, and drop super glue into the actual hole (to reduce the risk of glue-covered part messing up the bodyswork...

But this is O/T for the Deltic!

I reckon a piece of wire with a bit of stiffness to it might work better than the cotton (stop all the eyes falling together if you see what I mean). 

• RMweb Gold

The sound version is ESU Loksound..or have I got that wrong ?  Both my rigs are DC analogue only but I can and do run a small number of the above mentioned fitted models with limited but effective enough results for me to enjoy a little fun. The Napier Deltic sound is unique and my first “experience “ of it was of standing at the tunnel end of KX Platform 10 and hearing an extra terrestrial roar emanate from the tunnel.Into the early evening light burst this vision of blue and gold rudely shaking the collection of Gresley Pacifics awaiting departure. The date was September 1959 and Doncaster was putting it through its trial period on the ECML. Be interesting if it’s possible to recreate it in some,if limited,fashion. Obviously not DP1 .Any thoughts ? 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The sound version is ESU Loksound..or have I got that wrong ?  Both my rigs are DC analogue only but I can and do run a small number of the above mentioned fitted models with limited but effective enough results for me to enjoy a little fun. The Napier Deltic sound is unique and my first “experience “ of it was of standing at the tunnel end of KX Platform 10 and hearing an extra terrestrial roar emanate from the tunnel.Into the early evening light burst this vision of blue and gold rudely shaking the collection of Gresley Pacifics awaiting departure. The date was September 1959 and Doncaster was putting it through its trial period on the ECML. Be interesting if it’s possible to recreate it in some,if limited,fashion. Obviously not DP1 .Any thoughts ? 

What an experience!  Almost as good as hearing a Pacer pass Gateshead West on a wet morning in January! 😂  

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Hi Ian,

Can confirm that sound is ESU Loksound 5.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I reckon a piece of wire with a bit of stiffness to it might work better than the cotton (stop all the eyes falling together if you see what I mean). 

The thin steel wire from sandwich bag ties. Not that I fancy doing it. 

• Informative/Useful 1