KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

16 minutes ago, 96701 said:

Last question please John and I'll let the thread get back on topic. Is it better to cut and shut before making great big holes for the body etches?

I would do the hole-cutting first, then the cut and shut.

Cutting the body in half will be much easier if you invest in one of these https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/modelcraft-aluminium-mitre-box/569338-1000 and one of these https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/no-235-razor-saw-blade-expo-tools-73546?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqpq9wo_m4gIVUvlRCh2t8AXyEAQYASABEgLIxPD_BwE .

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

40 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

@KR Models Where is the project at the moment. Have you got final CADs? 3D test prints? I’m very very tempted to buy one, DCC sound probably, but after the recent DJ Models debacle I’m a rather wary of crowdfunding. 

Thanks

That’s why I suggested the production of extra models. There must be a few of us waiting to see how the model turns out before committing to buy. How few or how many is anyone’s guess. It is not only the DJ Models collapse to worry about. Take the Class 71, for example. When it appeared, it was nicely finished and incorporated some nice ideas but the running qualities were very poor. There is also the Little Loco Company. A model, which by all accounts was very fine, followed by a collapse. It was a one-man-band and collapsed when the unfortunate proprietor’s health failed him. Neither of these examples, of course, reflect in any way on KR Models but they do make people more cautious, as demonstrated by your posting.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

@KR Models Where is the project at the moment. Have you got final CADs? 3D test prints? I’m very very tempted to buy one, DCC sound probably, but after the recent DJ Models debacle I’m a rather wary of crowdfunding. 

Thanks

the final CAD drawings will be available this week, and tooling starts July.  The EP samples should be out September, which will be on display at Warley this year.  We are not as ambitious as DJ Models, and we want to grow slowly, bringing out about two projects a year.

We will be building a few extra to cover any warrenty issues, but that's it.  We won't be holding stock on the off chance that they get sold.  Having capital tied up in unsold stock is not a prudent step at this stage of the companies life.  If after the release we get a flood of orders or interest, then we can make a 2nd run.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the reply Keith.  I remember having a chat with you last year at Warley, so if you have EP samples available this year I think that’s pretty good going. From pie in the sky to production ready in a year. 

When will the order book stay open until? I would imagine showing off the EPs will bring in a few people. Quite understand about not having stock. Even at cost price to yourself having 50 in stock is still many thousands of pounds (or loonies). 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, KR Models said:

the final CAD drawings will be available this week, and tooling starts July.  The EP samples should be out September, which will be on display at Warley this year. 

Before you close the order book for tooling will you show those overall CADs on here or your web page? Like others above, I’m extremely wary of placing a deposit with so little information, and the recent problems of two UK Crowdfunding suppliers. By allowing a look at the CADs it could give you a final boost in sales prior to closing the book.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, KR Models said:

the final CAD drawings will be available this week, and tooling starts July.  The EP samples should be out September, which will be on display at Warley this year.  We are not as ambitious as DJ Models, and we want to grow slowly, bringing out about two projects a year.

We will be building a few extra to cover any warrenty issues, but that's it.  We won't be holding stock on the off chance that they get sold.  Having capital tied up in unsold stock is not a prudent step at this stage of the companies life.  If after the release we get a flood of orders or interest, then we can make a 2nd run.  

It's easy to have a cheap dig at DJmodels but perhaps you should consider the facts

DJmodels started with the intention of making one model, the Austerity, which would then go on to fund a small number of other models . His initial plans for his range were modest, supplemented with commission work. Dave was already well known within the hobby but he did not start with crowd funding, his initial plans were self financed.

You, however, are unkown within the hoddy, are secretive about many thngs, and don't seem to want to put a penny of your own money at risk with the GT3 (unlike Cavalex for example who reach the point where they are ready to start tooling before asking for money)

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Ryde-on-time said:

DJmodels started with the intention of making one model, the Austerity, which would then go on to fund a small number of other models.

Dave Jones started with the intention to make 9 models, 3 each in N, OO and O gauge IIRC. The first one being the OO gauge J94 which would subsequestly fund others. Over-ambitious right off the bat.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Dave Jones started with the intention to make 9 models, 3 each in N, OO and O gauge IIRC. The first one being the OO gauge J94 which would subsequestly fund others. Over-ambitious right off the bat.

Quite possibly over ambitious, but it was his money he was doing it with. Crowdfunding came later when the expected income didn't materialise from the first projects.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Quite possibly over ambitious, but it was his money he was doing it with. Crowdfunding came later when the expected income didn't materialise from the first projects.

And what does methods of funding have to do with my post? :unsure:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, MGR Hooper! said:

DJmodels did not originally announce 9 models, he originally announced the 00 J94 to be followed by 5 other models with the research shared with similar models in different scales -  

N gauge – Class 17, Class 23 and J94

O gauge – Class 23 and J94

The point about funding is that initially DJmodels gambled with his own money so it didn't matter how over ambitious he was

Right from the start KRmodels is only gambling with other peoples money

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Because someone being over ambitious with their own money is significantly less worrying than someone being over ambitious with other people's.

If I want to announce a range of 48 different models, for release in 6 weeks, costing £23 each that's great, you can be cynical and wait until stuff appears before parting with your cash.

If I say "give me £23 now for one of these 48 models, you'll have them in 6 weeks" that's significantly more worrying. Yes, DJ was over ambitious (evidently), but as Chris-Dave rightly said he was doing so with his own money.

It's not hugely material here, because we're talking about one project only, but if I was a total unknown looking to get people to invest, given the current landscape and the likely scepticism among the market I'd be doing absolutely everything I could to prove my transparency, bolster confidence in purchasers and encourage people to invest.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I am interested in purchasing an OO version without sound but would need to know the following before purchasing,

1, Shipping costs to Ireland

2, VAT payable on importing

3, Photographs of the finished model including the chassis with the body removed so that I can see what type of chassis I would be buying.

4, Full postal address of KR Models registered office for any correspondence that might arise.

Can KR Models advise please?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I am interested in purchasing an OO version without sound but would need to know the following before purchasing,

3, Photographs of the finished model including the chassis with the body removed so that I can see what type of chassis I would be buying.

From what I have read to date, the subscription list will be closed before production commences - so there would seem to be little chance of all of your requirements being fulfilled.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

Thanks for the reply Keith.  I remember having a chat with you last year at Warley, so if you have EP samples available this year I think that’s pretty good going. From pie in the sky to production ready in a year. 

When will the order book stay open until? I would imagine showing off the EPs will bring in a few people. Quite understand about not having stock. Even at cost price to yourself having 50 in stock is still many thousands of pounds (or loonies). 

We have to look at every aspect of the project as it proceeds.  Some details become available to use quicker than others.  We have had tremendous support for the project and pre-sales have confirmed that we have done it right.  Regardless of a few contributors on here.

2 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

1, Shipping costs to Ireland

2, VAT payable on importing

4, Full postal address of KR Models registered office for any correspondence that might arise.

Can KR Models advise please?

Hi Colin,

1. According to Royal Mail £15.15

2. As an EU country, you will pay VAT

3. These will be available during the manufacturing process.

4. It's on the website.

5 hours ago, Ryde-on-time said:

It's easy to have a cheap dig at DJmodels but perhaps you should consider the facts

DJmodels started with the intention of making one model, the Austerity, which would then go on to fund a small number of other models . His initial plans for his range were modest, supplemented with commission work. Dave was already well known within the hobby but he did not start with crowd funding, his initial plans were self financed.

You, however, are unkown within the hoddy, are secretive about many thngs, and don't seem to want to put a penny of your own money at risk with the GT3 (unlike Cavalex for example who reach the point where they are ready to start tooling before asking for money)

It wasn't a cheap dig, it was a fact that we won't be bringing out too many products at once.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, KR Models said:

Hi Keith

does this mean that the subscription list won’t be closed before manufacturing commenced?

i did look on the website but if the answer’s there I’m afraid I missed it 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KR Models said:

Hi Colin,

1. According to Royal Mail £15.15

2. As an EU country, you will pay VAT

4. It's on the website.

2. Plus the Royal Mail Fee (currently £8) for collecting the VAT

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

You may think that - but I could not possibly comment !!

(With apologies to 'Yes Minister').

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Apologies indeed needed to "Yes, Minister". That saying is from House of Cards (the original UK version).

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

KR Models,  I asked about shipping, customs and VAT because your web site gives the following address and phone numbers  which are in Canada,  not in the EU.

+1 780 863 2330

F: +1 587 540 5875

PO BOX 23124 RPO CITADEL,

St Albert, AB, T8N 6Z9

Canada

1 hour ago, truffy said:

Hi Keith

does this mean that the subscription list won’t be closed before manufacturing commenced?

i did look on the website but if the answer’s there I’m afraid I missed it 

Almost, We have to wait until all the figures in, so at some point, we have to stop taking orders to collate those figures.  

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

KR Models,  I asked about shipping, customs and VAT because your web site gives the following address and phone numbers  which are in Canada,  not in the EU.

+1 780 863 2330

F: +1 587 540 5875

PO BOX 23124 RPO CITADEL,

St Albert, AB, T8N 6Z9

Canada

As I've stated before, all distribution will be sent from the UK.  Non-UK customers will be responsible for their own customs charges. 

• Informative/Useful 1