KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

11 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I'd bite the bullet and use the physical address that the PO box tie to, surely that's permissible? It's not like you'd get many nutty modellers turning up halfway across the world from the main market.

Especially if you use a physical address AND the P.O box on your website. 

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, KR Models said:

I know Andy.  The issue is my business license is registered to that address and I can't advertise a different address or I would be in breach of my license which carries a hefty fine. 

Hi, have I got the name of business license correct "KR Models"

I ask as I am getting "Nothing here matches your search" when I go on the Alberta government web site of licensed businesses.

Screenshot_20190615-150636_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I know what you have said about PO Boxes Keith but in the UK, in a commercial sense, it is a means of masking a physical address where callers are not accepted or welcome.

I am trying to help here.

I would not waste your time Andy.

Several people on here have tried to help him.

All we get in return is sarcastic comments and that was before the problems of our "mate" began to emerge.

There were enough warning bells ringing then and I find it quite reasonable that others are now making comments and raising questions.

I deal directly with several suppliers in China and they all seem to be compliant with UK regulations and are up front about all the information that I would want to know before I send them any money.

Bernard

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

This is starting to get silly...

What makes you say that? We have people asking due diligence questions before parting with money and not getting satisfaction with the answers.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Which, given a lot of people have just lost thousands of pounds from another vendor with a proven track record and a lot more visibility (at first at least!), seems like common sense. 

If people want to throw money at a random bloke on another continent who refuses to answer basic questions, bristles at the slightest provocation and continues to take potshots at prospective buyers, you crack on!

I’m sure Keith’s intentions are entirely true, not  suggesting anything to the contrary, but I’m stunned by his attitude frankly. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

1 hour ago, njee20 said:

If people want to throw money at a random bloke on another continent who refuses to answer basic questions, bristles at the slightest provocation and continues to take potshots at prospective buyers, you crack on!

+1

anyone raising concerns about DJM in the past 12months were shot down as vindictive trolls.

There are red flags all over this but if people are still willing to part with their cash then as you say, crack on. Just don’t moan later if things don’t work out.

• Like 4
  • Agree 7

10 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

What makes you say that? We have people asking due diligence questions before parting with money and not getting satisfaction with the answers.

So what benefit would be my home address be?  Can I have yours?

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, KR Models said:

If you tick all the boxes and give understandably wary people a sufficiently warm snuggly feeling to order one, then yes, no problem.

How else will you be able to send the model?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/06/2019 at 16:14, KR Models said:

As I've stated before, all distribution will be sent from the UK.  Non-UK customers will be responsible for their own customs charges. 

This would imply that there is a UK-based distribution organisation or location.  Please can you explain in more depth how this will work and where it will be located?

Darius

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, KR Models said:

1, I never asked for you home address. I asked for your trading address

2, Benefit to me and others, is that there would be a known physical location where you can be communicated with regarding the GT3 and where if (hopefully unnecessary) notices can be served in the event of problems

3, I have sent you my home address by email.   Over to you!!!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, KR Models said:

Certainly, But to make it a level playing field first you have to send me £120 and I'll send you an incomplete CAD.

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

The hobby has hopefully moved on from just accepting assurances from suppliers asking for money at face value and shooting the messengers if awkward questions are asked. If anything good is to come out of the DJM mess it is that people are a little more sceptical and less inclined to dismiss those raising red flags as trolls (for a while at least). I do think a number of valid issues have been raised in this thread that a company asking for funding should be happy to answer and to provide a physical address. 

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, KR Models said:

Another prickly and somewhat daft response

The impression I get is that you feel people should be grateful to you for doing this project, they should shut up and blindly give you the money. I on the other hand think it is you who should be grateful to those interested in funding this model for you

I don’t think your a crook.  Concerns however make my mind does go back the the FTG wagon saga as another example of a single individual with no experience but trying to get a model produced. FTG was set up to produce modern wagons and the first, a simple SPA open wagon, was developed. It was researched, CAD designs done, the wagon was tooled and first EP”s shown on RMweb, however there were then problems with the factory (I don’t think the reasons were made public). Ironically it took Dave Jones to then step in, help rescue the tooling and get it transferred to another factory who did eventually make the wagons

There are a couple of differences with your project - FTG were only trying to develop a simple wagon and it was not crowd funded (so the escalation in cost due to problems could simply be reflected in an increased selling price)

Your role with the GT3 project appears to be one of project management but you don’t seem to know your customers (for instance people in the uk are suspicious of PO box addresses) and communication skills don't seem to be one of your strengths. China like all countries has its own culture and I can't see your style of communication going down  well in certain situations. What is your plan B if you have problems or begin to run out of money? Would it be your plan to ask for further money rather than cancel the project?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

To give KR Models a bit of slack, I appreciate that it is possible that he genuinely was unaware of some rules about trading in the UK. However it appears that he is unwilling to take on board anything at all that would require him to make a change to his approach. His responses are defensive and not what would be taught on a public relations training session.

Ryde-on-time makes a very good point regarding how KR's approach might go down in China (assuming that is where the factory is located).

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

And as you probably already know, that's likely to be one and the same. If he is using an agency to do the CAD work and a manufacturer in another country, he wouldn't need premises

And from what I can make out, the PO box IS his trading address, this is how it is done in Canada

And really, I don't know why I'm bothering. I think I'll go and find my pitchfork and light my flaming torch - I haven't been to a good lynching in ages

Richard

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Ryde-on-time said:

What is your plan B if you have problems or begin to run out of money? Would it be your plan to ask for further money rather than cancel the project?

As a 'great business leader' once espoused:

The minute you have a back-up plan, you’ve admitted you’re not going to succeed.

Edited by truffy
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

4 hours ago, Darius43 said:

This would imply that there is a UK-based distribution organisation or location.  Please can you explain in more depth how this will work and where it will be located?

Darius

The shipping container from China will be unloaded at a yet to be found location in the UK, and customers orders will be distributed from there, returns will also be returned there too.

3 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

2, Benefit to me and others, is that there would be a known physical location where you can be communicated with regarding the GT3 and where if (hopefully unnecessary) notices can be served in the event of problems

3, I have sent you my home address by email.   Over to you!!!

The trading address is listed on the website.  All company correspondence should be directed there.

• RMweb Premium
On 14/06/2019 at 08:17, PMP said:

Before you close the order book for tooling will you show those overall CADs on here or your web page? Like others above, I’m extremely wary of placing a deposit with so little information, and the recent problems of two UK Crowdfunding suppliers. By allowing a look at the CADs it could give you a final boost in sales prior to closing the book.

I wonder if I might ask this again? I appreciate you’ve been busy responding to other questions.

brgds 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ryde-on-time said:

Another prickly and somewhat daft response

The impression I get is that you feel people should be grateful to you for doing this project, they should shut up and blindly give you the money. I on the other hand think it is you who should be grateful to those interested in funding this model for you

I don’t think your a crook.  Concerns however make my mind does go back the the FTG wagon saga as another example of a single individual with no experience but trying to get a model produced. FTG was set up to produce modern wagons and the first, a simple SPA open wagon, was developed. It was researched, CAD designs done, the wagon was tooled and first EP”s shown on RMweb, however there were then problems with the factory (I don’t think the reasons were made public). Ironically it took Dave Jones to then step in, help rescue the tooling and get it transferred to another factory who did eventually make the wagons

There are a couple of differences with your project - FTG were only trying to develop a simple wagon and it was not crowd funded (so the escalation in cost due to problems could simply be reflected in an increased selling price)

Your role with the GT3 project appears to be one of project management but you don’t seem to know your customers (for instance people in the uk are suspicious of PO box addresses) and communication skills don't seem to be one of your strengths. China like all countries has its own culture and I can't see your style of communication going down  well in certain situations. What is your plan B if you have problems or begin to run out of money? Would it be your plan to ask for further money rather than cancel the project?

This is why the GT3 has been funded this way.  There was a soft launch to gauge the response at Warley, then the EOI was launched, once enough interest was shown by asking for deposits only after enough customers committed did I know the project was going to succeed.  As a 51-year-old British citizen, I am well aware of my customer base.  Can anyone deny that some of the questions asked on here have been very personal and invasive?  If you poke the dog, he will bite.  I have shared everything I know, as the project develops, and yes I am also learning from this.  I may have been a little abrupt with some questions, for which I apologise.  We won't run out of money, that won't be a problem.

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

And as you probably already know, that's likely to be one and the same. If he is using an agency to do the CAD work and a manufacturer in another country, he wouldn't need premises

And from what I can make out, the PO box IS his trading address, this is how it is done in Canada

And really, I don't know why I'm bothering. I think I'll go and find my pitchfork and light my flaming torch - I haven't been to a good lynching in ages

Richard

The lynching started without my participation.  Premises cost money for a start-up company, so we are using outside contractors for each project.  That way there aren't bills to pay for unused office space.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, PMP said:

I wonder if I might ask this again? I appreciate you’ve been busy responding to other questions.

brgds 

I was just correcting a few errors yesterday with the factory and as soon as we have completed CAD drawings I will publish them here.  I will also publish the EP samples too.  The order book will have to close soon as I need to order the sound decoders from ESU.

• Like 2