The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

On 26/12/2022 at 16:32, Rugd1022 said:

This has long been one of my favourite Small Faces tracks, an instrumental they recorded in '68, it sounds great when cranked up in the car...

I don't know enough about Steve Marriott as I probably should do apart from the fact his vocal prowess got me into The Small Faces and latterly Humble Pie, but was he the driving force in the music as well as the lyrics?

C6T.

• Like 1

Pretty good haul at Ipswich's 'Out of Time' half price Chrimbo Limbo half price sale (an annual tradition of Dad and I, postponed during various pandemic restrictions).

Three Creedence Clearwater Revival CDs (meaning I do actually own some rather than relying on streaming music I should have had for some years), plus a twin CD of Elvis Costello's best. Additionally, Whistle-Just Buggin and an unknown Canibus track on 12".

Dad picked up three music DVDs including a cracking Old Grey Whistle Test compilation. 20 quid...bosh!

Prudent to know what you want - where you want it, I'd earlier shopped at HMV on the main drag and came out with a Public Enemy vinyl LP I didn't have in my collection and, good for them, an Ipswich hip-hop artist's vinyl ep (upon which I was willing to take a punt on not being sh!t).

Plus three movies on Blu-ray, Sexy Beast conveniently being aired on Film4 the day after to spare me the hassle of taking the shrink wrap off (there better be some decent extras on that sucker!).

C6T.

(Cr@p, I shoulda bought The Warriors...)

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Ipswich's 'Out of Time'

I used to live about a hundred yards from there and spent far too much money in there back in my younger days. Glad to hear that the shop is still trading.

Andi

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dagworth said:

I used to live about a hundred yards from there and spent far too much money in there back in my younger days. Glad to hear that the shop is still trading.

Andi

Andi, the place was rammed (with the caveat that more than five punters means it's "crowded")! I suppose as vinyl has had something of a resurgence lately folks younger than ourselves will shop there.

I think it's terrific HMV are carrying more vinyl, but it is priced at 21st century money. If I know I can get something at a charity shop or pre-owned... that's where I'm going.

C6T.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Andi

In my younger days it was something of a hunt for quarry in Ipswich.

Whilst hip-hop was charting you'd go to Our Price first, bargain bins for knock-offs and the imports bin for rarities. Then off to Andy's, more choice selection there, all the classics.

If you couldn't find it new in either of those it was off to Record & Tape(!) Exchange and then Out of Time.

When Our Price and Andy's were on the wane I'd discovered Rex Records that really did do an eclectic selection of imports, as did Spin Dizzy.

Fortunately for me I was day release in Colchester at the time and regularly going to Yorkshire once a year so indulged my vinyl mining further.

C6T.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Remembered this one lately, it's a Hip-Hop banger...but jeez, the Hammond organ hook (lifted from The Champ by The Mohawks) is earworm gold. And I'm still unsure how I feel about the pilfering of Blondie lyrical melodies but then KRS has done it throughout his music career:

C6T. Sorry.

• RMweb Premium

Having attended our village's rather belated but neverthless excellent Burns Supper last night, I couldn;'t resist putting this on.  I didn't think anything would ever beat Eddie Reader's version, but this is certainly on a par with it:

It's a sad, sad song of farewell.  Some may find the lyrics helpful:

Ae fond kiss and then we sever
Ae fareweel, alas for ever
Deep in heart-wrung tears I’ll pledge thee
Warring sighs and groans I’ll wage thee

Who shall say that fortune grieves him
While the star of hope she leaves him
Me, nae cheerful twinkle lights me
Dark despair around benights me

I’ll ne’er blame my partial fancy
Nothing can resist my Nancy
For to see her was to love her
Love but her, and love for ever

Had we never loved sae kindly
Had we never loved sae blindly
Nor never met, nor never parted
We would never have been so broken-hearted

Fare thee weel, my first and fairest
Fare thee weel, my best and dearest
Thine be like joy and treasure…
Peace, enjoyment, love and pleasure

Mmm, ae fond kiss, and then we sever
Ae fareweel alas, for ever
Deep in heart-wrung tears I’ll pledge thee
Warring sighs and groans I’ll wage thee

Edited by Torper

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to

I wasn't hip enough to get the sandpaper sleeve, my copy is in the saner "three pictures" sleeve, though I do have OMDs "Electricity" single in the black raised ink sleeve...

Good old Factory Records, eh?  😀

• Like 2

Buttons, our house Budgie headbanging along to "(I'm) Stranded" by The Saints. He has a fondness for old school  Oz rock (The Angels, Midnight Oils first 3 albums etc)  as well as alternative bands like Quiet Marauder, Hahn,  Eddy Current Suppression Ring,  et al.

Our other inside  bird, Gary The Parrot prefers The Trucking Song sub-genre of Country and Western, he is a disappointment to us.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, DLT said:

Listening to this today, following the death of Wayne Shorter.

Funny you should mention that, I'm currently listening to Joni Mitchell's 'Turbulent Indigo' (on which he plays) for the same reason.  His work on the title track, in particular, sounds very 'Heavy Weather' 😎

RIP Wayne.

• Like 2

recently found out about a channel called The First Take owned by Sony Music Japan, they get on many small and big names not just in Japan but some westerners too. the Artists only get 1 take without a practice, if they or any of the backing musicians make a mistake it gets published as it is

https://www.youtube.com/@The_FirstTake/videos

i only know of it from about a month ago because of Suisei's appearance, its a banger and no wonder it now has 10 million views.

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, sir douglas said:

recently found out about a channel called The First Take owned by Sony Music Japan, they get on many small and big names not just in Japan but some westerners too. the Artists only get 1 take without a practice, if they or any of the backing musicians make a mistake it gets published as it is

https://www.youtube.com/@The_FirstTake/videos

i only know of it from about a months ago because of Suisei's appearance, its a banger and no wonder it now has 10 million views.

It is a wonderful channel, one of my favorite bands 羊文学 appeared on there.

• Like 2