Hornby - New tooling - Peckett B2 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

Great choice again by Hornby. Bound to be popular, which is exactly what Hornby needs at the current time with their recent financial wobbles. They've come out with some great choices for the 2019 range, Simon really making a difference since rejoining. Well done!

I'll look at ordering one I expect (as well as some bulleid shorties and a 48DS).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sherwood and possibly Westminster for myself.

The Ruston is very tempting mind you.

Hornby really have played a bit of a blinder with these two.

Rob.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd like to see one first. If it gets anywhere to looking like the W4 Peckett in MSC colours, it'll be a bit of a no-brainer again.  One wonders where Hornby are going to go next. I'd guess another livery run on the W4, and the (fully expected) livery run on the B2. That takes us out to 2023-ish. What's next, I wonder?

Could be a Maerdy Monster; the big Q6, with a power band equal to a 7F.  That'll rattle a few window panes!

Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

One wonders where Hornby are going to go next. 

Could be a Maerdy Monster; the big Q6, with a power band equal to a 7F. 

They could do a lot worse than doing one of the 'modern' Bagnall 0-6-0STs, such as 'Victor' or 'Vulcan'.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

They could do a lot worse than doing one of the 'modern' Bagnall 0-6-0STs, such as 'Victor' or 'Vulcan'.

I quite agree. There's a large field of industrial locomotives you can shake a stick at. Avonside, Bagnall, Hudswell Clarke, Hunslet, to name but a few.

Then of course, there's the industrial diesels....

Ian.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I have ordered a blue one which will be repainted into Maroon. Then just need to add some plates.."Horden No 2".  I saw the real one on its way to being over hauled on my way to infant school one day!

baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I’m quite surprised, given the financial risks being lower than your average tender engine, and the market sensitive price matching the model produced, that Hornby has been left alone, save for the Barclay, to have not just remain unchallenged for the second ( Sentinel was first) but actually have a third (ok Oxfords Janus is close to home for H), fourth and fifth bite at the industrial locos cherry without a competitor trying to get in on the act....not even on the horizon...

all power to Hornby for not only identifying, but dominating the industrial market it, itself has created.

the market for industrials is only so big, i suspect another 0-6-0 and another 0-4-0 then i’d imagine it will start to become crowded.. at this rate it could be Hornby that takes the whole market.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
On 03/02/2019 at 10:35, Barry O said:

I have ordered a blue one which will be repainted into Maroon. Then just need to add some plates.."Horden No 2".  I saw the real one on its way to being over hauled on my way to infant school one day!

baz

Good memory you have there Barry ;)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

...save for the Barclay... all power to Hornby for not only identifying, but dominating the industrial market it, itself has created.

One abiding question for any would be competitor has to be just how large this market segment might be?

Possibly Hornby's  new diesel tiddler pretty much saturates the IC side of the market for now with their Sentinel  and the  Janus and BR class 14 all now available to make a set of progressively larger machines.

Likewise in steam. There's an announced Hudswell Clarke which may 'double up' on Hornby's new Peckett in the small 0-6-0T group. Do a potential total of five industrial steamers - plus a few smaller main line types sold into industrial servitude - satisfy most of the demand for now?

Please note 'for now'. Once the above are old hat there will probably be the market appetite for more.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I’m quite surprised, given the financial risks being lower than your average tender engine, and the market sensitive price matching the model produced, that Hornby has been left alone, save for the Barclay, to have not just remain unchallenged for the second ( Sentinel was first) but actually have a third (ok Oxfords Janus is close to home for H), fourth and fifth bite at the industrial locos cherry without a competitor trying to get in on the act....not even on the horizon...

all power to Hornby for not only identifying, but dominating the industrial market it, itself has created.

the market for industrials is only so big, i suspect another 0-6-0 and another 0-4-0 then i’d imagine it will start to become crowded.. at this rate it could be Hornby that takes the whole market.

The market for industrial locomotives is only part of the trend for smaller layouts that has arisen over the past few years. It will probably level off in the next few years.

2 hours ago, Corbs said:

Without seeing all the manufacturer's sales figures I would find it hard to speculate, as the only info I have is this forum.

Other than manufacturers who know what they sell to the retailers, and the retailers who have a good idea of what 'we' do and will buy, we are all in that boat.

But it cannot have escaped anyone's attention that these industrial types have appeared quite recently in a little burst, when it is known that in general the volumes in which models can be sold have been falling. That suggests that the uptake of these models is in a smaller volume than new releases previously attained; the implication of this being a fairly limited market for this class of product.

• RMweb Gold

It could be that Hornby are leading the trend. That is, a smaller layout. My shunting puzzle contained 8 wagons and a loco. In other words, 2 train sets worth of product.  In an enclosed space, such as size of 48 x12". 10 minutes to set up, 10 minutes to pack away. It becomes 'manageable' to the domestic authorities. My inglenook did just that, and lived under the bed for nearly 10 years. It's probably easier on the wallet as well.

With nearly 20,000 industrial locomotives in private hands at nationalisation, there is a vast pool of resource available to the modeller. Everything went by rail. The support structure was immense. It's only in the last 50 years that the large lorry has fully replaced the railway wagon, and even then, not entirely.

If Hornby want to keep on making industrial locomotives, good luck to them. But, Big But... They (whoever they are) will need to remain faithful to the twin concepts of fidelity & quality. If Hornby stay that way, I can see a long & fruitful partnership between Hornby and the buying public.

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Other than manufacturers who know what they sell to the retailers, and the retailers who have a good idea of what 'we' do and will buy, we are all in that boat.

But it cannot have escaped anyone's attention that these industrial types have appeared quite recently in a little burst, when it is known that in general the volumes in which models can be sold have been falling. That suggests that the uptake of these models is in a smaller volume than new releases previously attained; the implication of this being a fairly limited market for this class of product.

And there’s the irony.

if industrials are niche, you’d expect it to be the domain of the commissioners, but instead the big boy is making the little ones, where as the new comers are making the bigger models.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good luck to them I say. Limited or otherwise. Quality will sell. Dads will buy the Cola monstrosity, because they'll let kids play it until destruction.  When the kids are older, they'll want to play with the better stuff.

That's how it happened to me, and I guess I'm in the same boat. It won't stop me buying the B2 6 wheeler.

Now, Mr Hornby. Let's talk about the Q6 Peckett....

Happy modelling,

Ian.

• Like 1