Hornby - New tooling - Peckett B2 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

8 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

How many wheels does it have? 

WARNING: Don't click if afraid of creepy-crawlies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-39406086

:jester:

Jason

3ft long in OO gauge, definitely a monster!

(It would have made a wonderful 60s Hammer film, "The Attack of the Maerdy Monsters!")

• Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm just wondering if it's possible to have a set of Ross-pop safety valves for a Westminster model I fancy, instead of the Salter valves intended.

Either way, I'll be after the Westminster model if possible.

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, davknigh said:

Has Hornby given any idea of how much the model will weigh? Just curious as to how it will stack up against the 0-4-0ST version.

Cheers,

David

Its heavy, much of it is diecast.

Got to hold one at Kernows openday, its not going to dissapoint.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I am not surprised  that the date has dropped back to the start of Q3.

The original release date was March 2019. Assembly would have had to have been mid January at the latest if there was any chance of getting production complete before chinese new year prior to 30 days voyage to our shores.

A little irking as the announcement was made only a fortnight before the models would have been due for assembly following the above timeline. :butcher:

Paul A. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

As Douglas Adams wrote in "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy", Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again. Replace "the bowl of petunias" with "the railway modeller" and you have my feelings exactly....

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 18:50, 1whitemoor said:

A little irking as the announcement was made only a fortnight before the models would have been due for assembly following the above timeline. :butcher:

Paul A. 

Perhaps problems were discovered? Given the criticism of rushing the Terrier to market, it may be that they are getting this one right.

Roy

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

It could be anything.

We regularly import from Canada (plywood) and it always takes 4-5 weeks to arrive , however the 4 boxes we were due last month, MSC suddenly sent via Barcelona adding 3 1/2 weeks to the shipping time. Nothing we could do about it and not something we had been informed of before hand. It just happened.

I'm guessing when shipping containers from China lead times can stretch quite considerably.

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Perhaps problems were discovered? Given the criticism of rushing the Terrier to market, it may be that they are getting this one right.

Roy

Maybe, or maybe it's all a ruse to get the money in over the counter on pre-orders with the publicity of the big yearly announcement. Perhaps a perceived shorter time frame from announcement to release encourages people to open their wallets more readily.

Alas, we will never know. 

Paul A. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, 1whitemoor said:

Maybe, or maybe it's all a ruse to get the money in over the counter on pre-orders with the publicity of the big yearly announcement. Perhaps a perceived shorter time frame from announcement to release encourages people to open their wallets more readily.

Paul A. 

I doubt it was such a ruse, how many pre-orders actually involve an exchange of money prior to a model's release. Very few, and I am not sure Hornby get any of that.

Roy

• Agree 3

Okay Roy, you are entitled to your two cents , just as I am entitled to mine.

Unrealistic delivery dates are nothing new in the model railway world, it would be nice to have a due date which was met, unlike the extremely vast majority which are not. At the end of the day its the shop owners who need cash in hand ASAP, they are the ones who rely on such things to make a living. 

Paul A. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 1whitemoor said:

Okay Roy, you are entitled to your two cents , just as I am entitled to mine.

Unrealistic delivery dates are nothing new in the model railway world, it would be nice to have a due date which was met, unlike the extremely vast majority which are not. At the end of the day its the shop owners who need cash in hand ASAP, they are the ones who rely on such things to make a living. 

Paul A. 

Blimey, what a reaction. I didn't say you weren't entitled to your two cents did I? All I did was put a counter-argument to your possibility of it being a ruse. This is after all a discussion forum.

I am frustrated as anybody with delays and yes, model shops need to sell models, but what is the delay we are talking about here? 5 Months? Hardly anything given some of what we have seen over the past few years.

Roy

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

26 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I am frustrated as anybody with delays and yes, model shops need to sell models, but what is the delay we are talking about here? 5 Months? Hardly anything given some of what we have seen over the past few years

Its like continental drift, imperceptable perhaps but over time it builds up...

But yes, provided the due date doesn't encroach on 2020, the suggested dates aren't really worth getting over excited about.  At least it gives a bit more time to put aside the dosh to pay for one!

Hattons "Project Updates"* page gives a broad overview of developmental timescales across the major manufacturers, with launch dates and current progress dates clearly annotated.  Hornby come fairly well out of the comparisons.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/projectupdates

* Though it does need to be viewed with caution. It needs updating (last update 01/04/19), and the DJM section is now of historical interest only...

Edited by Hroth
drat - forgot link!
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, 1whitemoor said:

Paul A. 

As I worked in The Signal Box, 20+ years ago, in practice delays won't have much influence on pre-orders. Most were made within the first 2 months of something being announced. The rest would trickle in at a steady rate until release. Once released, there would be a big flurry in sales (probably twice that of pre-orders). The bulk of the market still need to see and handle the model before falling in love with it and wanting to buy one (or doubtless these days, they need excellent reviews and comments here from people who have, prior to placing an order).

We never took money until the actual item came out and most (maybe all as far as I can see) still don't take money until its out. Hornby themselves don't get paid until the items are delivered, the shop has recieved an invoice and maybe a month or so after that invoice has arrived depending on the payment T&Cs.

Thus delay itself has no benefit for anyone unless it is to perform further corrections prior to release that will increase the said items percieved value. 

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

I wondered if the sales of luxury goods like this are cyclic.  Is:-Are there peaks & troughs to consider? Sure, Christmas is a bit of a no-brainer,  but any company in this arena would try to spread its sales over the year, not just November-December. I'm happy to see the B2 make its entrance. I always thought the 6-wheeler would follow the 4-wheeler, which is still stowed away in its box. 

I don't mind the wait. My long -promised railway shed makes a start this week.  Hooray!

have a great week, folks.

Ian.

Edited by tomparryharry
Check for spelling, and context.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I am frustrated as anybody with delays and yes, model shops need to sell models, but what is the delay we are talking about here? 5 Months? Hardly anything given some of what we have seen over the past few years.

I find it’s the lack of updates which is frustrating - I appreciate manufacturers aren’t obligated to continually update us about every little change, but it’s a shame to see when things slip without reason.

Hattons were good in sharing progress with their P Class, for example - contrast this to Rails and their Terrier which is quite limited?

Edited by jafcreasey
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, jafcreasey said:

I find it’s the lack of updates which is frustrating - I appreciate manufacturers aren’t obligated to continually update us about every little change, but it’s a shame to see when things slip without reason.

Well, Hornby DO share details, you've just got to know where to look.

• Milestones for key models (ie those attracting lots of interest) are documented in the monthly-ish Engine Shed blog.
  • Some info will be also released in the new Signal Box thread.
  • And the website model listing always has the current thinking on delivery dates.

Knowing that the date has slipped because, for example, the factory has taken away double booked the manufacturing slot or similar won't get the long awaited model to us any sooner.  Its just a factor of distributed manufacturing that we need not worry about personally.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jafcreasey said:

Hatton’s were good in sharing progress with their P Class, for example - contrast this to Rails and their Terrier which is quite limited?

There is a subtle difference there though - Hattons were the manufacturer, Rails aren't.

Perhaps it is generation thing - but I don't see that we need to be drip fed information all the time - what does it change?

Roy

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

There is a subtle difference there though - Hattons were the manufacturer, Rails aren't.

Perhaps it is generation thing - but I don't see that we need to be drip fed information all the time - what does it change?

Very true re Hattons, Roy.

The continual updates change little, of course, but people invest so much time (and money) in the hobby I think it nice to know how a project is progressing (or not as the case may be)?  I would suggest it's down to the individual (as opposed to an entire generation), but see your point in the age of social media.

Edited by jafcreasey
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Most curious Peckett delivery dates.

Up to last week, the one I was particularly interested in was listed by Hornby (and Hattons) as being expected in August.  It had jumped from March when announced, to June, July and finally August.  Hornby has now replaced the date with "Summer 2019" and Hattons are saying June.  Do they know something?  I do know that Hornby have R3693(X) listed as "Coming Soon" but there's no mention of the other four.

• Informative/Useful 1