Hornby - New tooling - Ruston 48DS 0-4-0

Andy Y

1 minute ago, Richard Croft said:

It's a Loksound 5 micro, the sound file isn't a Ruston recording because I dont think anyone has recorded one yet, but its based on a free download from the ESU website

Richard

I didn't think it sounded much like a Ruston. Paul Chetter recorded a 48DS and the sound is available from Digitrains. They also do a sound file for a Ruston 44/48HP, which I believe is recorded from the narrow gauge version but as they share the same engine and gearbox, it's a very good match. I have 7mm Rustons with one of each on Zimo decoders.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

So are we saying that these little locos really need 10.5mm wheels?

I'm not quite sure what you're saying. My spy satellite is in the wrong hemisphere at the moment.

2' 3" or (later) 2' 6" diameter on the prototype.

What I will say is, I'm also rather glad of my stash of double insulated 10.5 mm black beetle wheels. Mr Branchlines says, when his current stocks are gone no more will be forthcoming. (Unless  someone comes up with an individual order of sufficient quantity to make it worth the while for the antipodean manufacture to run off another batch).

DC kits currently advertises stock of 10.5 in P4 & EM but the last I got from him were only insulated on one side.

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=827&search=Wheel&page=2

I bought some of the double insulated 10.5's from Branchlines at the recent EM Autumn.

P

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

24 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

I dont think anyone has recorded one yet,

https://www.digitrains.co.uk/zs48a-ruston-48ds-sound-zimo.html

Which I think Dave knows all about. Give it time for the weather to warm up and I'll post a video of mine running with the Digitrains/Chetter sound file.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
Crossed post with Mr Ruston.
  • Like 1

This is the 44/48HP sound, fitted to a scratchbuilt 44/48HP Ruston. Whichever one was recorded, it seems to have had the idle speed set quite high. When driving these models with both sound files you run them up and if you knock the speed back a notch and then back up you get the gear change sound. It isn't quite as good as the 48DS file and doesn't have the cold start. It also has some very wacky sounds added for the function keys. Sheep for one...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ruston said:

This is the 48DS sound file, fitted to a kit-built 7mm scale 48DS.

Lovely sound, lovely model.

The workshop needs to have a look at the chain drive tensioners, the way the chains are flopping about, an incautious movement on a heavy shunt and BANG, stranded engine!!!  :jester:

3 hours ago, Ruston said:

It isn't quite as good as the 48DS file and doesn't have the cold start. It also has some very wacky sounds added for the function keys. Sheep for one...

I was looking forward to hearing the "odd" sounds....

• Like 1

On 05/10/2019 at 11:40, Porcy Mane said:

Motor & G'box combo sits approx 12 mm above the running plate. (Loads of space between the top of the motor and the bonnet top to stick in a sound decoder) W'base is 22mm 5'-6".

Uses the standard Chinese N20 motor. Same as the 0-4-0 Peckett etc.

One of the Rowntree Rustons?????

Possibly more than the Shunters think Yellow and White articulated. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lippy said:

Yellow and White articulated. 

Surely Cadmium & Crap Cream?

or should that be;

Shirley? Cadmium & Crap Cream!  "4001"

Edited by Porcy Mane
"4001"

• RMweb Premium

I have a white metal kit built Hibbard shunter similar in size to the Ruston. At the moment it runs on a Tenshodu spud unit. I will be checking to see if I can fit the Ruston chassis to it. As for the spare Ruston body perhaps fit it with an unmotorised chassis, remove the cab and run it with another Ruston as a slave unit. For that matter one could use two engines back to back with one cab removed as a master and slave unit.

• RMweb Gold
On Sunday, October 06, 2019 at 18:15, Ruston said:

It also has some very wacky sounds added for the function keys. Sheep for one...

Oi! 

9ea7cab64f5df0b801c1be5ce47efc58.jpg

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/02/2019 at 21:45, Butler Henderson said:

Hopefully the socket will be located to allow either - 6 pins are usually directly fitted but with Hornby going down the harness route, no doubt so to use their very basic (normally 8pin) decoder the socket could be located too tight to use a direct decoder

Not sure a Shunters Truck would be any more appropriate

A GW/WR type shunter's truck would be completely inappropriate; they were used in larger goods yards and marshalling/sorting sidings or dock systems on the GW/WR, with GW/WR locos.  A 48DS is a private industrial type that would never work in such locations.  Southern Region had some for pilot work in Per Way depots, but these would not have been used with GW shunter's trucks. 

These little diesels certainly shunted BR wagons on their private sidings, and may well have had 'match trucks' of a sort to carry tools, fuel, spare couplings, even buckets of sand for use during the loco's working day, but this would be mostly at locations where the loco worked some distance from 'base', and as many of their locations were very small areas easily reached from the shed if necessary, it would be by no means a foregone conclusion!  Such 'match trucks' would likely be older internal use stock, wooden framed 2 or 3 plankers with spoked wheels in poor condition.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately, you wouldn't see a little Ruston beyond the exit signal. Sure, it's a lovely looking model, but don't expect to see one with a lot of stock behind it. Having seen the real one being dragged down a hill with an empty wagon pulling the poor thing along, then no, not really.  If however, it's a level site, then fine, ala Rustons rather fine modelling.

Rule 1 will always apply.

cheers,

Ian. 

• Like 1

Worth remembering they were mainly built as a cheap way to replace horses* and small, often obsolete steam locomotives. If any heavy shunting or movement of wagons needed to be done they would use a bigger loco. These could just be started up when needed.

Look at how many Scammell "mechanical horses" they made. Tens of thousands of them.

*Food, welfare, stabling, blacksmiths, people to look after them, etc. was a lot more expensive than diesel fuel.

Jason

• Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Does anybody know if Hornby plan to make the match wagon and electrical fittings available separately? 

I sent them an e-mail a week ago but still waiting on a reply.

Many thanks.

Steve.

Unlikely, but if a purchaser does not require the wagon he/she might sell it on. Once the sales of this model are established you could allways ask here or in the RMweb wants if someone has one to spare. 

Thank you for the kind words about my 48DS sound project. 

I fitted sound and a stay alive to my 48DS and it will appear in the next issue of Hornby Magazine.

I'll post a video of it here shortly. It uses a ZIMO of course, only the best for my models. And it sounds like a Ruston 48DS. LOL.

'Ruston' of this parish was with me when I recorded the loco. It had a couple of wagons on the hook which it managed quite nicely on a short run.

I'll demonstrate some interesting features that I've started adding to my projects. Not sheep (that was added to the NG 44/48 mentioned above in response to a request from a Narrow Gauge modeller).

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1