The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2019

MarkC

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

Great website that also indulges in motor sport too! My first Grand Prix was 1967 British to watch Jim Clark sail away from the field. Been a few changes since then!

Is Billy Monger the chap who is in the commentary team at Sky and behaves a bit like a 12 year old? Unfortunately I had to buy a Now TV ticket to watch F1 this year given the decision to stop free to view. I do find it difficult to listen to the commentary and interviews, it is often so inane. The sport I have loved for many years has one year to convince me that it is still worth watching. If not I will move to Sportscars which I have fond memories of - Le Mans - BOAC 500 1967 and many Porsche - Ferrari battles - the 917 and the 512 (M not the S) were fabulous machines to watch and listen to. Like the idea of a hypercar series?

Being a suspicious old devil I have fears that whilst there are clear differences between current F1 cars in terms of performance I have the feeling that having one tyre supplier is the deciding factor - variations in compounds (although notionally the tyres have the same coloured stripe) during the season help to explain the fairly wide variations in front running teams performance from race to race. I felt it is perhaps better to have at least two tyre suppliers? 

Soon be Bahrain GP, hoping for a Ferrari 1-2.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1

Really bad luck for Leclerc but at least he was philosophical about it after the race and did have a bit of luck with the safety car.

Hamilton looked really impressive despite Ferrari speed advantage and really struggling with tyres after his first stop.

Bottas looked like last seasons Bottas.

Max was also philosophical admitting he wouldn't have deserved a podium.

Vettel may have had a bit of a wind issue (!) but may have also cracked again when under pressure from LH. Probably needed a change of underwear when running over his front wing at speed!

Norris looked good and is obviously also getting the full share of McLaren luck.

Oh dear Williams, especially Kubica who I really can't see lasting the season.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Bad luck for LeClerc. Was this a sign of Ferrari pushing too hard? I actually think it was simply bad luck because their reliability has generally been good.

I think Vettel can learn from LeClerc. Dropped to 3rd after a bad start but did not panic & accepted he would get passed, then when the grip came to him, he carefully but quickly made his way past both Hamilton & Vettel.

Maybe Vettel could learn from that; when pushed by Hamilton, it seemed that yet again he pushed too hard to keep in touch & lost a few extra places as a result.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Clearly the boy LeClerc was the best driver throughout the weekend and deserved the win - but even then he showed great composure. Nice to see Lewis being so supportive after the race.

Bizarre finish, the safety car protecting the podium for Ferrari - normally I’d be moaning, but this time I’m pleased Charles kept his third place.

Interesting that Ferrari let Charles pass Vettel early on - have they realised that the junior driver is outperforming the senior? Certainly not the Ferrari strategy of previous years. 

Congratulations Lando Norris - two very steady performances.  

Bizarre synchronised DNFs for Renault.

Can someone get some long trousers for Lewis! (Those socks!)

But seriously, this was a race where the continuity was lost in the highlights cutting room as far as us C4 viewers were concerned. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Why? Do you find disability offensive? Losing your legs in your teens is pretty crushing, without others’ sensitivities being invoked. He faces a lifetime of adapting to life. We should be glad to adapt our views to support his struggle.

Deal with it. 

No, I don't find disability offensive.

For me it is more a question of perspective. Does he want to be known, and remembered, as an up and coming British racing driver, a television commentator, or as the guy with the artificial legs?

Apologies if I have caused offence. That was not the intention.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, dvdlcs said:

Does he want to be known, and remembered, as an up and coming British racing driver, a television commentator, or as the guy with the artificial legs?

None of this bothers me, or is any of my business come to think of it.

Why does it bother you?

Darius

• RMweb Premium

I find it absolutley disgusting....

None of them wearing a jacket and tie..

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, dvdlcs said:

Does he want to be known, and remembered, as an up and coming British racing driver, a television commentator, or as the guy with the artificial legs?

I think He'd like to be just thought of as Billy Monger ......

• Like 1
  • Agree 10

There's also a channel called FreeSport (round about 64 on Freeview) that is showing NASCAR, although you'll have to wade through the listings of NHL, MLS and pool.

Don't forget the BTCC on ITV4 on Sunday. See if you can spot another Lando in the Ginetta Juniors which have at least 3 graduates in the W Series.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

In an era even earlier than Mike H, ISTR a pic of a leading driver at the wheel while smoking a pipe! 

Probably safer than actually racing.....

• Agree 3

That was 'interesting'.

The Ferrari may be quicker than the Merc. by the evidence of the clock, but both of their cars failing in the same race suggests they have pushed too hard for that performance. Just a little less robust than they need to be.

As for Leclerc, I stand by my comment made in December in the F1 2018 thread:

"But what Leclerc achieved this season in B grade equipment sends a very strong message about the potential. I expect to see Vettel in the Ferrari in 2019. That he will be the leading Ferrari driver by season end, I doubt."

The major question is how quickly those directing Ferrari reach the same conclusion. Given that Ferrari must be desperate to be in with a real shot at the championship, how long before the penny drops that backing the man who has failed at four attempts is now 'inadvisable', and turning to someone new is a gamble worth taking? I am pretty sure Lewis has identified who his real 'other team' rival for the title is.

15 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

...I think Vettel can learn from LeClerc...

Now let's be realistic. What we have learned over the years:

Vettel can be world champion only if he is in the best car in the field, and with a less capable team mate.

When Vettel is beaten by another driver in the same equipment, he is incapable of learning.

When closely followed by another championship calibre driver he falls off the track.

No disrespect for the guy, he's a good quick driver, but like everyone he has limitations; and unfortunately for him they are all biting hard now.

Conclusion: no realistic prospect of another championship.

I could read Lewis' mind as he went round Vettel: "I know how to get past you, and having your team  mate overtake you in racing and get well ahead of you on track just makes it that bit easier, because I also know your head isn't in the right place".

13 hours ago, dvdlcs said:

,,, Does he want to be known, and remembered, as an up and coming British racing driver, a television commentator, or as the guy with the artificial legs?...

I doubt he's thinking about that at all, just how to make a career that will support him in future, whatever that career may be; like all the rest of us when we were young and starting out in the world. And the very best with it, to be so positive after fearful injury.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2