Class 92, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Oh I don't know ,,, see this thread  ... brilliant piece of modelling - it's just the smells we don't want!

Dysons dont smell.

But they do kick out an obscene amount of heat.

I did a sleeper a few years back, (though not much sleeping), when it was the finals of mk3’s, and around 4am, went to the very first front window as we were ascending shap..in february and I could hear the roar, but also when I opened the window I felt the heat blast against the sub zero cold as well.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Dysons dont smell.

But they do kick out an obscene amount of heat.

I did a sleeper a few years back, (though not much sleeping), when it was the finals of mk3’s, and around 4am, went to the very first front window as we were ascending shap..in february and I could hear the roar, but also when I opened the window I felt the heat blast against the sub zero cold as well.

When I was based in Rugby, it was always a nice welcome in Winter seeing the fast approaching freight having a 92 up front, the short but sharp blast of heat. Never got the same from the other AC locos. 
Noisy mind, they generated a couple of noise complaints during the remodelling of Rugby, thanks to being slowed on the Trent Valley’s approaching Rugby, creeping past the housing estate in Newbold. One chap even claimed his house was being damaged! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ncarter2 said:

Noisy mind, they generated a couple of noise complaints during the remodelling of Rugby, thanks to being slowed on the Trent Valley’s approaching Rugby, creeping past the housing estate in Newbold. One chap even claimed his house was being damaged! 

The railway was there long before the housing estate.  But not perhaps before the 92s.

I suppose the remodelling at least improved the dismal gloomy passenger entrance to the station.

7 hours ago, martin_l_jones said:

Has anyone suffered any noise issues from the running gear at all...?

Hi Martin. 
nothing on my two. Ive run them in and they are now on the main layout with no issues. 

you dont mention whether or not its running gear of motor ???

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, martin_l_jones said:

Has anyone suffered any noise issues from the running gear at all...?

Is it a thunk thunk noise from the wheels? With both my Deltics there was a wee bit of schmoo on one of the wheels that was creating a flat spot that caused that. A scrape with a knife and it was fine. 

I have to give a huge thank you to Simon at Accurascale as he helped me getting the settings on a locally bought LokPilot decoder going correctly for the class 92. It now works nicely with all the (non-sound) functions available.

More kudos to Accurascale's team for sheer helpfulness as well as great P.R. work.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, scumcat said:

Why me? I’m really fed up. I received my sound class 92010 back from AS today after a month of checking and repairs. Originally I was told I was getting an exchange then I was was told it had been repaired and was being sent back after testing. So it arrived today and was fantastic. Everything worked on testing, I was very happy. I ran it forwards and backwards light for an hour then the big moment pulling its sleeper coaches for the very first time. All was going well it was going round and round my roundy, roundy then a crash and a short. What had happened was the entire coupling block had dropped out of the loco (this doesn’t seem to be very secure) without me noticing and the loco had smashed into the back of the rear coach throwing it off the track and causing a short. Now I have surge protection on my layout, snubbers on each end of the bus and a cut out switch. putting the loco back on the track the power pack has stopped working again. This was one of the original problems I had the first time. So the running is not as good now. I am at work for the next two days so cannot contact AS until next week. Now a question. If I reset the decoder will I lose anything other than the address?. If this is viable how do I do this?

To reset it you program 8 to CV8. I think with an ESU sound decoder it should reset to the settings specified by the sound project. I.e. it will be as supplied by Accurascale and you’ll lose any modifications you’ve made. There’s a longer discussion here:

47 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

To reset it you program 8 to CV8. I think with an ESU sound decoder it should reset to the settings specified by the sound project. I.e. it will be as supplied by Accurascale and you’ll lose any modifications you’ve made. There’s a longer discussion here:

When you program an ESU decoder using a LokProgrammer, you can set that setup to the default if you wish. That's with anything, not just sound.

2 hours ago, scumcat said:

Why me? I’m really fed up. I received my sound class 92010 back from AS today after a month of checking and repairs. Originally I was told I was getting an exchange then I was was told it had been repaired and was being sent back after testing. So it arrived today and was fantastic. Everything worked on testing, I was very happy. I ran it forwards and backwards light for an hour then the big moment pulling its sleeper coaches for the very first time. All was going well it was going round and round my roundy, roundy then a crash and a short. What had happened was the entire coupling block had dropped out of the loco (this doesn’t seem to be very secure) without me noticing and the loco had smashed into the back of the rear coach throwing it off the track and causing a short. Now I have surge protection on my layout, snubbers on each end of the bus and a cut out switch. putting the loco back on the track the power pack has stopped working again. This was one of the original problems I had the first time. So the running is not as good now. I am at work for the next two days so cannot contact AS until next week. Now a question. If I reset the decoder will I lose anything other than the address?. If this is viable how do I do this?

In common with a lot of people, I found that the only piece detached on delivery was the NEM pocket and coupler. It isn’t very secure, which has the benefit of being easy to remove if, for example, you want to fit cosmetic details to one end. Some more conventional NEM pockets would rather break than budge. I’d suggest using contact adhesive to fix the pocket. Once set, it’s strong enough for most purposes but it is reversible. Break the bond and peel the dried glue away.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, scumcat said:

It should be secure enough not to just fall off with just general light use. I would call that not fit for purpose if I have to glue it in place just to allow it to pull six coaches.

It’s designed to be easily pop off able for exactly the reason stated above and a drop of glue on the assembly will fix it in place if you want a coupling.  something we’ll elaborate more clearly on run 2 manuals. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, No Decorum said:

In common with a lot of people, I found that the only piece detached on delivery was the NEM pocket and coupler. It isn’t very secure, which has the benefit of being easy to remove if, for example, you want to fit cosmetic details to one end. Some more conventional NEM pockets would rather break than budge. I’d suggest using contact adhesive to fix the pocket. Once set, it’s strong enough for most purposes but it is reversible. Break the bond and peel the dried glue away.

I used a bit of black-tack (Blu-tack would do just as well) to stick the coupling pocket shaft back in. It only has to be strong enough to stop it dropping out, as the pulling or pushing forces on it will bear on the front and rear sides of the socket, not forcing it downwards.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, scumcat said:

whilst retrieving my work coffee mug from the railway shed

I'm a firm believer that when faced with adversity, it is far more beneficial to head for the kettle to create thinking space, rather than than head to the keyboard @scumcatOf course, if that fails to solve the problems at hand, we are always available to help you out and take the worry out of your hands. It's the least we can do for our customers, considering the investment you've made in our products 😃

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, scumcat said:

Are you saying that I was wrong to post here? I do feel like I’ve been told off.

Not at all, I was merely stating that in any adversity, the kettle should always be the first port of call. Works for me 😆

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1